Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Linus,

I had no idea about you and Wryly. I am so happy for you guys! Where is the tobacco plant in Florida? I would love to go there.

I went to the Dom. Rep. about...12 or more yo with my adopted sister. Back then you had to stay within the resort. It was very unsafe. However, I did bring home some nice stoagies from the resort. The golf course was beautiful, and that is where I ended up making my purchase. Just a great great time. Long flight , but well worth it.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #22
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
Linus,

I had no idea about you and Wryly. I am so happy for you guys! Where is the tobacco plant in Florida? I would love to go there.

I went to the Dom. Rep. about...12 or more yo with my adopted sister. Back then you had to stay within the resort. It was very unsafe. However, I did bring home some nice stoagies from the resort. The golf course was beautiful, and that is where I ended up making my purchase. Just a great great time. Long flight , but well worth it.
J.C. Newman (makers of Diamond Crown Maximus -- one of my favs) is based out of Tampa, Florida. They are the last (over 110 years). Not sure if they still allows tours or what.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #23
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

JC Newman's...for some reason that sounds familiar. Let me go look at my notes. Be right back.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Linus,

It is a very small world. They are not doing tours any longer. However, they have a museum on the 2nd floor of their office in Tampa.

In the Dom. Republic - that is pretty much a no no for tours. And the cigars I bought, I got A. Fuente's. I think I may have gotten 2nd's, but they were still good. I am not complaining. From my notes, the cigars were all thumbs up. According to what I wrote down, there was a huge political debate going on over the taxes & laws between the US and Dom. Republic, and the shipping issues. I am going to find their website, and see if it is any different now.

I love talking stoagies. For me, it is like .
Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
Wryly,

Did you know that Linus is from Canada too? OMG...two ! This is cool. What cigars do you enjoy smoking?

I would love to go to Cuba one day. I want to go to a cigar factory, and see how they produce the cigars in mass quantity from start to finish. And then to be able to buy them, smoke 'em, and bring a few boxes home.
Andrew -
I've known Linus for 4 or 5 years, I think. Waaay back when hy first came out. We met on a different site, PMed back and forth and then met up - been buds ever since. When hy lived in Toronto we'd try to get together and do dinner, PRIDE events, etc. Then hy had to go and get a life and all! the nerve!

I'd love to go to Cuba too - someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Wryly: if you ever find Orishas (http://www.cigarnewbie.com/?p=995) let me know.
I'll keep a lookout!

Andrew - I was reading an article online (I forget where) and it was about a place that has a school, shop and lounge all in one! You can get cigars chea because you're buying that aren't perfect 'cause they're what the students made. I'll hunt around and see if I can find it.
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wryly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #26
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Wryly,

I am looking forward to that info. As for Linus, he is a good soul. I just think the world of him. So now, we can say we're the 3 cigar smokin' mustakeers!

And we will have to plan a trip to Cuba one day. WooHoo!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #27
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Has anyone smoked anything new? Anything good lately? What about pipe tobacco?

I hope you all are doing well, and life is being kind to you.

Happy Smokes!

Andrew
Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #28
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile Question for the Pipe Smokers Here

I have noticed that I have to constantly relight my tobacco in my pipe. I can't just light it once (like a cigar). It constantly goes out on me. Is this the norm.? I am using pipe tobacco and a Grabow (sp?) pipe. It is realitively new (maybe a year old).

Any hints or suggestions? I appreciate all advice on this. I am at this point >>> and

Happy Smokes,
Andrew
Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #29
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Thanks Jack!

I am trying out a new tobacco called Holiday Blend. It is more cherry than anything else. What do you smoke? And what is your favorite pipe?

When I smoke either my pipe or a cigar, I like a good drink or a cup of coffee. It just taste sooo much better that way.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #30
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

I have a corn cob, and a Duke by Dr. Grabow. My Grandfather smoked a pipe, and gave me my first corn cob pipe that I still have. I smoke it every once and a while. It is more sentimental than anything else to me.

I use a sweet oil and clean up the pipes once a year. I just dump the ashes out. I never thought about repacking them. I don't have that tool. Maybe Santa will surprise me this year. I also don't use filters on my pipes. Wayyy to much work for me. I just smoke.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #31
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Jack,

That is how my Grandfather cleaned his pipes! Just reg. table salt & alcohol. I totally forgot about that. It reminds me of how he put peanuts in coke to eat. Just very simple and direct.

Thanks for the wonderful memories.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #32
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Jack,

I got some cigar goodies. I got a pipe tool, and a tin of tobacco. I am not sure of what it is. I am still working on the first bag of holiday blend. It smells so good.

I hope Santa was good to you and our brothers/sisters who also smoke pipes and cigars.

Love,
Andrew
Old 01-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Bump de Bump Bump
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #34
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Hey Everyone!

How is everyone doing? Anyone smoking anything new or old?

Linus, what did you get from NineDeep? Did you go with a shirt, jacket, or robe?

I hope everyone is doing well.

Happy Smokes,
Andrew
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #35
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Hehe.. I never did get anything from NineDeep.

That said, I did find a new cigar manufacturer that I do recommend: Flatbed Cigars. I just had, last night, their Peacemaker cigar (takes about 3 hours to smoke!!) and gotta say it was awesome. I didn't even notice the 3 hours go by. I'll definitely be ordering from them in the future.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #36
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hehe.. I never did get anything from NineDeep.

That said, I did find a new cigar manufacturer that I do recommend: Flatbed Cigars. I just had, last night, their Peacemaker cigar (takes about 3 hours to smoke!!) and gotta say it was awesome. I didn't even notice the 3 hours go by. I'll definitely be ordering from them in the future.
Linus, do you smoke in your home? If not where do you hang out for 3 hours to smoke those ceegars?

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #37
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D View Post
Linus, do you smoke in your home? If not where do you hang out for 3 hours to smoke those ceegars?

I smoke at home with the window open and an air purifier running. A good cigar smell will leave after a few hours and there are times when I don't smoke for a few weeks at home. Once I get to CA, I'll have to do it outside (the weather will be more permissible for this, however).

I actually prefer smoking outside with friends and a good drink. Makes it more interesting but hard to find in NY.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #38
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

I smoke both my pipes and cigars on my front porch and back deck. I also use one of those electrical smoke eaters if those around don't like the smell. However, it is few and far between. I also buy the really cheap cigars and throw them in my chimnea when I have that burning. It really smells good. Now I have all of my neighbors doing that too.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #39
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I smoke at home with the window open and an air purifier running. A good cigar smell will leave after a few hours and there are times when I don't smoke for a few weeks at home. Once I get to CA, I'll have to do it outside (the weather will be more permissible for this, however).

I actually prefer smoking outside with friends and a good drink. Makes it more interesting but hard to find in NY.
Yeah I agree, I prefer outside too. If you're moving to the San Diego area it shouldn't be much of a problem finding good weather a lot of the time. It can get pretty cold up here in N. CA though.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #40
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D View Post
Yeah I agree, I prefer outside too. If you're moving to the San Diego area it shouldn't be much of a problem finding good weather a lot of the time. It can get pretty cold up here in N. CA though.
It's gonna be somewhere in the Los Angeles area but once I'm there it'll likely mean that San Diego will be on my teaching schedule (probably late summer/fall) so we should meet up if I get a gig there.