Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default r

"Crossing the Unknown Sea Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity" by David Whyte
Enjoy David Whyte's poetry, here he engages his philosophical
perspective...solid writing.

And one of my favorite authors Haruki Murakami's
"Men Without Women" short stories...like taking
a deep, deep dive.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #2902
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"I'm Watching You" Teresa Driscoll
"The Girl Who Dared To Descend" Bella Forrest
"Mark of Fire" Richard Phillips
"Configured" Jenetta Penner
"Fatal Trust" Diana

ETA: I just finished The Handmaid's Tale
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #2903
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,985 Times in 9,937 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading books I absolutely enjoyed during last summer:

Big Little Lies (Liane Moriarty), The Help (Kathryn Stockett) and Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (Fannie Flagg).

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #2904
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck : A counter intuitive approach to living a good life by Mark Manson

Crude and in-your-face but thought provoking nonetheless. Only 1/3 way in so far, and I haven’t put it down yet.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #2905
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I'm reading books I absolutely enjoyed during last summer:

Big Little Lies (Liane Moriarty), The Help (Kathryn Stockett) and Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (Fannie Flagg).

Miss Katz, have you heard that Big Little Lies was such a hit that HBO is doing another season? There are so many ways the story line could go based on events in the book that were never discussed in the first one. Should be interesting to see how they go, don't you agree?
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #2906
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Miss Katz, have you heard that Big Little Lies was such a hit that HBO is doing another season? There are so many ways the story line could go based on events in the book that were never discussed in the first one. Should be interesting to see how they go, don't you agree?
Oh, definitely homoe!

I read recently on Nicole Kidman's and Reese Witherspoon's f.b. pages that they are filming season two of Big Little Lies!

Some interesting scenarios that might be expanded:

1) Jane and the coffee barrister, whom the girls thought was gay, but is not.

2) Madeline (Reese W.) Had an affair with the performing arts guy, so that's an possibility. She kept telling her husband that he was first in her life, but he knew he really wasn't, but Madeline has issues with her ex-husband who's together with the yoga instructor, on top of the affair she had too.

3) There is also the outcome of Ziggy, Jane's son, and being blamed for what the twin sons of Nicole Kidman's character did to Ziggy (bullying by parents kids and school staff).

There's a LOT that could happen in season two, for sure.

_____ ______
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #2907
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Oh, definitely homoe!

I read recently on Nicole Kidman's and Reese Witherspoon's f.b. pages that they are filming season two of Big Little Lies!

Some interesting scenarios that might be expanded:

1) Jane and the coffee barrister, whom the girls thought was gay, but is not.

2) Madeline (Reese W.) Had an affair with the performing arts guy, so that's an possibility. She kept telling her husband that he was first in her life, but he knew he really wasn't, but Madeline has issues with her ex-husband who's together with the yoga instructor, on top of the affair she had too.

3) There is also the outcome of Ziggy, Jane's son, and being blamed for what the twin sons of Nicole Kidman's character did to Ziggy (bullying by parents kids and school staff).

There's a LOT that could happen in season two, for sure.
AND YOU KNOW........now that Nicole Kidman's character is a widow, they could have her "experiment" with lesbianism!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #2908
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Quote:
AND YOU KNOW........now that Nicole Kidman's character is a widow, they could have her "experiment" with lesbianism!
I dunno, I don't know that it's some sort of subplot at all. I mean, I've read the book and as anyone might realise, the HBO miniseries is not exactly adapted from the book -- hence your prior observation and comment about viewing the miniseries left you "scratching your head."

Of course, the screenplay and role development to expand the series might build upon the already known facts about Nicole Kidman's character: she was an attorney with specialized knowledge and took up the special case representation for her friend Madeline (Reese W.) Because certain wealthy acolytes in town were opposed to her theatrical troupes play (concerning sensitive subject matter). I can see the screenwriter's developing her character, in post-aftermath, by opening up her own law practice and I can also visualize the miniseries expanding the plot surround her twin son's and their behavioral issues as well as the co-mingling subject of Jane's son Ziggy being blamed for their behaviors and subsequent bullying by children or school staff.

But, I don't see your idea about Nicole Kidman's character in the Moriarty book, either.

I guess we will find out next fall, when season 2 of Big Little Lies premiers on HBO!

_____ ______
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #2909
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History
by Katy Tur

I got this book about a week ago and I've picked it up and put it down a couple times. Last night I began to read it in earnest and am finally enjoying it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #2910
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,354 Times in 863 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #2911
jools66

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian
Relationship Status:
Married

jools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Roanoke solving the mystery of England's lost colony by Lee miller

Just starting a book that sounds rather interesting. It's called Roanoke solving the mystery of England's lost colony by Lee miller
I got interested this topic as a fan of American Horror Story.
One of the seasons was based around this true event, though ahs was not a true depiction of what happened.
Personally I had never heard about this peice of history, but it grabbed my imagination and curiosity.
I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by jools66; 12-12-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Forgot title
jools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jools66 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #2912
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History
by Katy Tur

I got this book about a week ago and I've picked it up and put it down a couple times. Last night I began to read it in earnest and am finally enjoying it.
This book was good in the way it brought back all the crazy ass thing Trump did and still got elected into office! I liked her humor as well! I'd recommend this book if you ever come across it!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #2913
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Series 24 General Securities Principal Exam Manual. I want to pull my hair out.

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #2914
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Upstream
Selected essays

By Mary Oliver

It’s like coming home.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #2915
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler, which has been on my list since 2002

It was AMAZING. I am Earthseed now.

ALSO finishing it put me at 52 books this year, which was my goal
Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #2916
Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,089 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

Aside from working my way through the books Mary Wings wrote after "She came in a flash", "Crash into you" the first of a series of roller derby romances by Diana Morland (only just started it, so far, so good) and various degree-related books, of which I'd like to mention:

- the Royal Horticultural Society A-Z of Garden Plants (OK, not a read so much as an extensive and fascinating source of information - warning - it's very big and heavy!)
- and 'Lower Plants (Anatomy and activity of non-flowering plants and their allies) by C.J.Clegg which is an utterly fascinating, slim but stuffed to the gunwales largish paperback with fascinating information and facts. The stuff on bacteria and viruses and other very small stuff is as interesting as it is horrifying..

Honourable mention to "Thing Explainer (complicated stuff in simple words)" by Randall Munroe (the creator of the XKCD website), which I have been dipping into now and then since it was published. Educational, fun, and a comment on language all in one go - what's not to love?
Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Esme nha Maire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #2917
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,075 Times in 8,585 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Deliverance From 27,000 Feet by John Branch

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...st-deaths.html

In 2016, three Indian climbers died trying to summit Mount Everest. Two of them were abandoned near the top. This is the story of the quest, a year later, to find them and bring them home.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #2918
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Tremble and Burn by Anna Furtado

When Dr. Elizabeth Kellogg arrives in San Francisco from Baltimore in December, 1905, to begin a medical practice funded by wealthy matrons, she’s not only running toward a new life-she’s running away from her old one. Threats from a ruthless brother, who threatened to expose her affair with a woman, make Elizabeth determined not to compromise her reputation as she begins this new phase of her life. All is well, until she meets Maggie Weston.

Maggie, a photographer with a thriving studio on Market Street also harbors a secret, which brought her to San Francisco from Boston a few years before. Her work and her independence are fulfilling. She thinks she doesn’t need anything more in her new life other than her photography that is, until Elizabeth Kellogg walks into her shop.
Just started it but so far so good...
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #2919
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman.

I just finished his newish book, The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage, which details how Lyra came to Oxford so I had to read TGC again because it's been ages.

Teaser...
Part 1: Oxford
Meet our protagonist, Lyra, and her daemon Pantalaimon (the shape-shifting animal that is her soul), or Pan for short. They live at Oxford University's Jordan College, among scholars and other brainy-types. Lyra is an orphan whose parents were killed when she was very young. Her uncle, Lord Asriel, is her guardian. He's a powerful and sometimes scary man involved with politics. For the most part, though, she is cared for by the scholars at Oxford University, where she is also friends with a kitchen boy named Roger.

When the book opens, Lord Asriel has returned from the North, where he has been conducting experiments involving something called Dust. What is Dust? Well, it's something very, very important in the book, and we later learn that the Church thinks Dust is, more or less, the equivalent of original sin. We also find out that Dust develops in children when they get older and their daemon stops shifting and takes on the form of a specific animal.

Back to the opening scene, Lyra figures out that Lord Asriel has been exploring the existence of different worlds – not heaven or hell, but worlds just like this one that exist in another dimensions. During this episode, Lyra also foils a plot by the Master of Jordan College to poison Lord Asriel, and her uncle returns to the North. In an overheard conversation between the Master and the Librarian, it also becomes clear that Lyra is destined to play a part in everything that's unfolding – but what kind of a part? We're still not sure.
Taken from https://www.shmoop.com/golden-compass/summary.html

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #2920
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Bettyville.........

When George Hodgman leaves Manhattan for his hometown of Paris, Missouri, he finds himself - an unlikely caretaker and near-lethal cook - in a head-on collision with his aging mother, Betty, a woman of wit and will.

Sidebar:
If you've cared for or are caring for an aging parent, this will make you laugh and cry all at the same time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading