Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,870 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default Crone Femmes?

Hey all,

I have seen the terminology "Crone" in attachment with certain identities and recently, "Crone" specifically attached to Femme identities. I had always thought of a "Crone" as a magical identity whereby wisdom and age danced together. Being curious, I decided to read up a little and found this:

"The crone is a stock character in folklore and fairy tale, an old woman who is usually disagreeable, malicious, or sinister in manner, often with magical or supernatural associations that can make her either helpful or obstructing. She is marginalized by her exclusion from the reproductive cycle,[1] and her proximity to death places her in contact with occult wisdom. As a character type, the crone shares characteristics with the hag.

The word "crone" is a less common synonym for "old woman," and is more likely to appear in reference to traditional narratives than in contemporary everyday usage.[2] The word became further specialized as the third aspect of the Triple Goddess popularized by Robert Graves and subsequently in some forms of neopaganism, particularly Wicca."

Im curious if there are any Femmes who identify as "Crone" and if this identity is tied to Wicca for you, if it is tied to age and wisdom, or if there is some other meaning for you? I hope Im asking this the right way, not trying to be offensive, just highly curious.
When I read the definition above for "Crone", it feels kinda ageist...but maybe this is my ignorant read.

Thoughts on this identity?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,870 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

And now Im wondering if there are any Butches with "Crone"
attached to their identity!?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

When I lived in Dallas (I was in my 40's then), there was a woman in the chorus in which I sang who described herself as a "crone".....she is an older woman and very wise, and I respect her even still. However, I'm not sure WHY I came to dislike that word, but I did and do. It has a negative feel to me....and maybe it was because of the definition which You gave, Medusa.

Also, an interesting point about the possibility that there may be butch~identified crones.....I hadn't thought of that.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Im curious if there are any Femmes who identify as "Crone" and if this identity is tied to Wicca for you, if it is tied to age and wisdom, or if there is some other meaning for you? I hope Im asking this the right way, not trying to be offensive, just highly curious.
When I read the definition above for "Crone", it feels kinda ageist...but maybe this is my ignorant read.

Thoughts on this identity?

I adore the word Crone. It is about wisdom and aging gracefully and enjoying the transitions. I am Wiccan and it is very much tied to that.

In my spirituality, we have celebrations of transitions among other things. I've written a ritual celebrating a girl child's transition into womanhood (first blood).

My Goddess is seen in four ways--Maiden, Mother, Crone and a fourth way I am not at liberty to discuss (oathbound.) Each phase is a celebration of that part of being a woman.

The men also have four ways--Son, Father, Sage and a fourth.

But for me, I look forward to my croning. If I were in a coven, it would be a huge hairy deal complete with all the trappings and honorings we give to a woman who has passed that threshold.

The patriarchy (most likely) defiled and twisted the word Crone into meaning withered, old witch. It was a way to take power away from the healers and wise women of the time. And it was a way to keep women in their place.

So while I'm right at the edge of what would be considered my Crone years, I look forward to them. I also acknowledge and celebrate the wisdom of all those women gone before me.

It's actually completely anti-agiest, A. It puts our elders in their rightful place. One of wisdom and being honored for the life they have lived (and will still live because Cronehood is not death by any means.)

The Crones in Wicca are our spiritual leaders as are the Sages. It's about time in the trenches, if you will.

So yes, I love the word Crone and celebrate it. I am not afraid of growing older either. Sometimes I think those that eschew the word may be. We've been taught that getting older means loss of life and enjoyment and activity. I think we can look around our own community and know that's not true.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Just to clarify....I'm not afraid of getting older. At all.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Just to clarify....I'm not afraid of getting older. At all.
Diva, I do hope you don't think I mean you personally in my post. Not at all. I think you are a very good example of how to live life no matter what age you are. You tackle it with grace and passion and generally good humor. For that reason, within my spirituality, you would be a most excellent Crone. However, I do honor that you do not like the word. I would not use that appellation for you out of respect.

You can not deny that there are those who fight growing older with every tooth and nail and shot of Botox they can though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

And this whole time I thought croning was when they duplicated an animal....back to square one for me!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Yes....I rather enjoy the fact that my face can move and isn't full of whatever that stuff is. BLECH!

G........... I got nuthin'......
Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Default Warning! This is the kind of crone I aim to be.

Warning, When I Am an Old Woman

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and a pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple.

By Jenny Joseph, Minchinhampton, England, 1961

Last edited by Arwen; 11-25-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Credits and date written
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I never thought of the word Crone as being negative. Even being Dyslexic, it never came across that way to me when it was being explained to me. It was a natural process for both men & women.

Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I am not quite ready to embrace myself as a Crone. Though I do like the thought of Femme Elders and Crones.

In fact, until the last few weeks when it has been pointed out how out of touch people my age really are, I did not think of myself as an elder.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

I always thought the progression was " maiden( nymph), warrior, Queen, Crone.
The four major segments of ones life. This could be also in the male, perhaps.. boy( son), warrior, king, elder( sage/ crone).
Wars are fought by warriors, either in the trenches or in our own communities. We see our young ( 20 somethings ) warriors being the ones forging new definitions for themselves and demanding to no longer be viewed by our older terms. Warriors create a new language and wear a new armor, while our "queens/ kings" attempt to incorporate the new into their vocabulary and our crones/ elders watch with contemplative pleasure, knowing all is as it should be.

I love the term Crone as I sit in my King/ Queen stage looking both behind and ahead. I look forward to the peace that comes after releasing the hold I still have on my "warrior" years.

Thanks.. good food for thought!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation
Default a Women's Spirituality/Eclectic Pagan take on Crones

Ah, I learned that saying differently Jess, "Maiden Mother Warrior Crone"--and only Maiden tied to a specific age range. We're all different, eh?

So Dusa, "Crone" is the same word as "Crow" and it's tempting to think of it disrespectfully, yanno, old women in widow's weeds (black from head to toe), those raucous and troublesome "old crows" clustered around the village wells...

What people forget is that "Crone" and "Crow" are also the same word as "Crown." We were originally talking about the rightful tribal rulers, eh? The person who, in modern times, would be a Queen--and there was no male equivalent, since kings are a later invention, so we are talking about the ultimate power and authority in the land being vested only in female-bodied people.

Although the Greek image of Athena and Her Bird is indelible in our culture today, owls are not the only birds of wisdom. Tis the European Goddess's Sacred Crow who crowns a woman with wisdom and makes her a crone.

I'm so glad you included Butches in the discussion, because I have lived with two Butches who considered themselves Crones, and deservedly so--and I know there are many more.

That said, I must say that associating the image of power--a Crowned Woman with a Sacred Crow on her shoulder, reigning authority and avatar of the Goddess Herself for an entire people--associating that image with Femmes makes me glow inside. I love this reclamation of a term for ancient power by our largely invisible population which has difficulties being perceived by society as powerful in any way. Yes, let us take this word back; let us restore the image it once carried!

Today, Crone is generally acknowledged as "a woman fifty (sometimes 52) or over who has the benefit of a lifetime's experience and hard-learned wisdom to share," and it's most often used in the Pagan, Wiccan, Women's Spirituality, and Queer/Lesbian communities.

For me personally, a Crone is someone--no matter her age--who is allied with the Hag Goddesses, Hecate, Bridey, Mother Holle, Hel, Hurta, etc--all those ugly old-woman goddesses who were originally the power of the Earth Herself brought to vivid life in the most powerful image our ancestors could conceive: an old Crone, crowned with age and wisdom, leading the people safely through feast and famine alike.

How appropriate She comes to you now, at the beginning of Her Season of Snow. May She bless you abundantly with love and warmth, with family and happiness, and may She see you through the years with love and gentle care.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrJess View Post
I always thought the progression was " maiden( nymph), warrior, Queen, Crone.
The four major segments of ones life. This could be also in the male, perhaps.. boy( son), warrior, king, elder( sage/ crone).

SyrJess, this is an interesting four that correlates back to the Tarot in a way.

In traditional Tarot decks there are four court cards. Usually they are the Page, the Knight, the Queen, the King.

I can see a feminine four there as well as a masculine four. Thanks for this thought!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

I love this thread Medusa. This is truly enlightening. I've never heard of a crone femme. I must read on.

Duchess
Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

In my pagan tradition a woman is "Croned" when she has completed her second Saturn return. My tradition will Crone anyone who is over 56 and completed her return. It is also a woman's choice as to when she is Croned. I have not chosen to do this, I do not feel it is time. I have a lot more to learn.

To me the Crone represents not only wisdom, she represents the oral/written history of the community. They are the teachers and the protectors. The Crone is the beauty of graceful acceptance of the aging process. The Crone is the one who holds silence and also speaks brutal truths. She understands the value of being not doing.

While the maiden is new to sex, the mother is the creatrix of sex, the Crone is the teacher and the pure pleasure of sex. *cackle*

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Isadora For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
In my pagan tradition a woman is "Croned" when she has completed her second Saturn return. My tradition will Crone anyone who is over 56 and completed her return. It is also a woman's choice as to when she is Croned. I have not chosen to do this, I do not feel it is time. I have a lot more to learn.

To me the Crone represents not only wisdom, she represents the oral/written history of the community. They are the teachers and the protectors. The Crone is the beauty of graceful acceptance of the aging process. The Crone is the one who holds silence and also speaks brutal truths. She understands the value of being not doing.

While the maiden is new to sex, the mother is the creatrix of sex, the Crone is the teacher and the pure pleasure of sex. *cackle*

This is very in-line with my own Trad in terms of age and astrological tenets.

You however, need to accept that gift that you are and the gifts that you bring. Darling, you may not have put on the crown, but it is right there on your pretty head already. Now sit down and let them put the decorations on as well. LOL

But this was a beautiful speaking of who I know Crones to be. Particularly the holding silence and speaking brutal truths. It is not easy to be honest to someone. That type of self-honest is so hard to find. So I think that age does not always bring wisdom, does it?

Here's to the Crones. May they be ever-wise and ever-vigilant. May we remember to thank them and be grateful for their presence in our lives. May we grow to be more like them every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post

That's fascinating. What pagan tradition do you practice and why the Saturn return? I agree Crones are representatives of what you have written above. In some shamanic traditions women were not allowed to practice until they were well past their child bearing/rearing stage. In some traditions women who had children could not be shamans. Anyway... a bit off topic.

But for me the Crone where I will be one day. We have celebrated Crones in our circles many times over the years with special ceremonies. They are also given special duties within the community.

The Crone is often so misrepresented in myths and storys. But alas is that not the way it has been for many years. I am grateful for conversations regarding the Crone, the honor of the Crone and the rightful place within our socieity for Crones.

Yeah Crones!!!
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
friskyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
precious
Relationship Status:
down to earth

friskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I identify as Crone in relationship to age and wisdom. However, I can't help visualizing the 'old, dark, spindling woman' when I see/hear the word. LOL... I don't relate myself to that definition at all. <my apology in advance to anyone I offended by my comments here>
Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
HumV4me

How Do You Identify?:
FEMME
Preferred Pronoun?:
Honey, Baby, Love, Dearest
Relationship Status:
in an animal house

HumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST ReputationHumV4me Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you soo much Dusa for starting this thread.

I could not help but come here and read everyone's words as if they were honey on the tounge..

I have refered myself in another thread as being "Of Crone Spirit".

The transition into becoming one with self is not always an easy path. To sit down and put it into words is "almost impossible".

To be of "Crone Spirit" does not mean you are totally complete... It does mean how ever, you carry the escence within you and one day... beyond your control... a tranformation ~~WILL~~ occur in your present life.

I feel this isn't my first journey and will not be my last... and with each passing of time / life... the spirit within me only gets wiser and stronger... until the day comes were I am born "As One".

This is what I long for.

Allowing change to transpire and letting go of the old, so the new can have it's way, is not an easy thing to do. Being the warrior and fighter that I am in mind and flesh has been the most difficult battle of all, in this life.

As I write this I feel the tears swell behind my eyes. I feel the nerves alight with fire and feelings I am not able to describe.

All I know is it's been a long hard road full of life experiance... and as long as we all share those experiances with each other... Passing our stories on may help another learn and grow in a softer earier way than it was for ourselves.

And might I add, there are time's when life presents questions or situations and you are not prepared to know the answer or out come, (((yet you already do know))) and you are not sure how you know. When you come to realize this it may be very frieghtening or a great experiance... it just depends on how you embrace it and acknowledge it.

Peace and LOVE to all of you... and please keep posting.... ~~smile~~ I beg you.

Oh... now we need some Crone Femme Smilies!!!!