Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 04-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #581
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

chicken salad! i forgot about how much i like it. !!!

i use zucchini chips to scoop it up
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #582
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,984 Times in 9,936 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
I came across these in Walmart and I really like them.

I've tried the following flavors:

– Creamy Peanut Butter
– Crunch Peanut Butter
– Brownie Crunch
– Lemon Delight

Most of them have 20g Protein and 2 to 3g Net Carbs and most of them use artificial sweeteners.

I can get them for about $1.10 a bar at Walmart.

They're very handy when I don't want to make something for breakfast or when I have craving for something sweet.

On the most part, they're tasty and filling and I'm losing weight with them in my diet.
I happened to find these bars on sale at my favorite grocery store last week and bought an month's supply of about four or five flavors. I like the Peanut butter chocolate crunch bar, the most. And the fact that the bars are free of sugar, is great!

Thanks so much for the post about Think Thin Bars, Orema.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #583
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,806 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Magic Pill

The title is misleading.

It isn't about pills at all but outlines the damage high carbohydrate/low fat diets have done to our health. It does discuss the benefits of a ketogenic diet.

Good documentary on Netflix.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #584
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I tried a recipe tonight for Keto Banana walnut bread.

It was easy to make and very good. There are other recipes on the website I will try soon. I would like to try some pumpkin muffins some time.

KETO BANANA WALNUT BREAD
Ingredients

3 Medium Bananas
2 Cups Almond Flour
3 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Walnuts
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tsp Baking Soda
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350
Grease loaf pan using coconut oil
Cut up bananas
Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix on high until well combined
Pour mix into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes

I had thrown out my loaf pan as it was peeling and had forgotten to get a new one so I used an 8x8 cake pan instead. It required about 40 minutes of baking

The following nutrition info is for the loaf pan and I will use my best judgment on my proportions for the 8x8.

Keto Banana Walnut Bread Recipe: Nutrition
For one serving (makes 10 servings)

Calories: 269

Total Fat: 22g
Cholesterol: 63mg
Sodium: 147mg
Potassium: 46mg
Carbohydrates: 15g – 4g Fiber = 11 Net Carbs
Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugars: 7g ( from the bananas)
Protein: 8g

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #585
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

I was not aware that bananas were keto in any fashion.. although that recipe sounds delish!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #586
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
I was not aware that bananas were keto in any fashion.. although that recipe sounds delish!
I guess I trusted the recipe instead of figuring it out for myself but your post got me thinking!

A banana has 24 net carbs each if I would sit and eat one but the 3 bananas in this recipe, total of 72 net carbs, divided by 10 servings, came out (and I am bad at math!) to 7.2 net carbs . I didn't figure out where her other 4 carbs came from, I'll go with her total.

The recipe has 11.2 net carbs per serving (when cut into 10 pieces).

I don't stick to 20 net carbs a day. That is too hard for me. 30-40 is what I aim for within my total macros.

I am not in the induction phase which is much more rigid about total net carbs.

~Washington Post

The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #587
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Yum, yum, Anya, thanks for the Keto Banana Bread recipe!! I often come by Jesse's thread to read back on favorite recipes and ideas. Happy Sunday to everyone here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #588
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

I would totally make that recipe Anya, however I would substitute the banana for zucchini and add a little Splenda... or even rhubarb and strawberry blend... bananas are one of the highest sugar fruits.

Last edited by Breathless; 05-20-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Breathless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breathless For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #589
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Splenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
I would totally make that recipe Anya, however I would substitute the banana for zucchini and add a little Splenda... or even rhubarb and strawberry blend... bananas are one of the highest sugar fruits.
I have read quite a bit online about the dangers of Splenda, there are too many links online about possibilities of Cancer, etc. for me to post them. If you must use a sweetener, try Stevia or Truvia, or even cane sugar.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #590
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Default Sugar is Toxic (Medical study report in TIME magazine)

I don't have an proverbial horse in the race concerning sugar, but here's what I know:

Sugar, that is sugar produced from cane or beets, is highly toxic. The only sugar I'm allowed to have, per my doctor and registered dietician (r.d.), is raw stevia --- which is an plant based sugar, with low glycemic index impact.

Not only is sugar the proverbial devil, but foods that break down into sugar in your bloodstream is toxic too. Foods like certain breads, rices, dairy products, etc.

I get my bread fix by having Sesame Tahini sticks.

I can't have dairy products, so I use nut based milks or plant milk, or Cashewgurt. None of the aforementioned taste like dairy products, but when you're in an all out war on foods that convert to sugar in your bloodstream, taste becomes a tiny factor you can set aside, when choosing not to succumb to diabetes.

I'm not diabetic, but I could easily become diabetic by not staying away from dairy products, breads, pasta, rice or even meat. I get my protein from plants and nuts and supplements recommended by my doctor and r.d./nutritionist.

I can have one third of an banana sliced up on my salad, once a week. Twice is pushing it.

But, seeking your doctor's advice and following an dietary menu created by your own medical staff consultant (in my case, she is both an registered dietician and nutritionist ) is often the best way to find out what will work best for you.

Anyhooo.... here's an article I found about sugar, published fairly recently (2015), in TIME magazine.

LINK: http://time.com/4087775/sugar-is-def...ew-study-says/

Also, eta, here's an well written article by an Ph.D. who is an Diabetic 1 and his blog article which talks about the difference between refined sugar and naturally occurring sugars in fruits. There's also an fantastic 100+ page PDF, toward the end of his article which is an terrific guide and resource

LINK: https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2...ig-difference/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #591
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

How many carbs a day do you all shoot for? I make 50 the ceiling, and most days i am around 30. I've just been doing this for about four months. There have been maybe three days when i went above 50.

I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, and eating low carb has meant i don't have to take meds for the diabetes. That makes me pretty faithful. I tried the med (a pill), and it made me sick as a dog. So low carb it is. I am also losing weight.

I can't say I've had many of the other purported benefits of low carb. I do feel less fuzzy, more clear headed. But i don't have loads of extra energy. That is probably because of other health conditions i have.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #592
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
How many carbs a day do you all shoot for? I make 50 the ceiling, and most days i am around 30. I've just been doing this for about four months. There have been maybe three days when i went above 50.

I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, and eating low carb has meant i don't have to take meds for the diabetes. That makes me pretty faithful. I tried the med (a pill), and it made me sick as a dog. So low carb it is. I am also losing weight.

I can't say I've had many of the other purported benefits of low carb. I do feel less fuzzy, more clear headed. But i don't have loads of extra energy. That is probably because of other health conditions i have.

20! ........i usually stay at around 20
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #593
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Wow. 20. I admire people who can do 20. I see them on YouTube. I can't. I don't think i ever will be able to. I am happy with my 30 carb days. 20 to me means no fruit. I eat an apple or some berries almost every day. If i eat a low carb tortilla with cheese and sour cream or something like that and things just start adding up, I'll skip the fruit. But i don't want to live without it.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #594
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

I had been screwing around with keto for almost two years.

I was on it strictly when I first started and was lazy keto around 30 carbs or less a day and lost weight very painlesslessly. Then I fell off the wagon.

I ate bread one day and that was it. I started craving it again and ate carbs for a while. It used to be sweets that would start a craving but I can't even eat them any longer- they are too sweet!

Anyway, when I first got really sick, probably in January, I just could not eat. I had to force myself to eat (new experience!).

I usually had 2 Atkins shakes a day (2 net carbs each) and one Sargentos balanced breaks with 12 grams of carbs.

Weight flowing off. No hunger.

I don't recommend this as an eating plan! I had a tumor that made me very, very sick.

After surgery, my appetite has come back somewhat and I am strictly keto (except for that banana bread Breathless )

I have not been counting carbs with everything that I eat. I stick to meat, low carb veggies, salads, avocados, eggs, and still drink my Atkins shakes when I don't feel like eating. I do keto sticks so that helps reinforce that I am the right track.

Keto is now almost in my DNA. I really can't imagine going back to my old way of eating.

I just got my labs back and my blood work has never been better. My doctor called me and was delighted. She took me off the statin that I had been on for a long time. My total cholesterol dropped from 200 to 156 and my triglycerides dropped from 136 to 95. The rest was great too.

In a lot of blogs and articles online, people talk about what an unhealthy diet low carb/keto is. I have not found it to be true in any way.

~Washington Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #595
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Wow. 20. I admire people who can do 20. I see them on YouTube. I can't. I don't think i ever will be able to. I am happy with my 30 carb days. 20 to me means no fruit. I eat an apple or some berries almost every day. If i eat a low carb tortilla with cheese and sour cream or something like that and things just start adding up, I'll skip the fruit. But i don't want to live without it.
i am not as hard on myself about the 20 as of today (i blame Mel) than i have been. i stopped adding on a carb counter and just wing it. Not good advice but right now i have too much going on to stress about eating 21 carbs. i have been adding a little fruit here and there, and allowing myself some goodness.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #596
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Well i am losing weight at staying under 50 carbs. I have lost 32 pounds, but it hasn't been fast. I assume that's cause I'm sedentary. I was put on statins but didn't fill the script. It was at the beginning of my low carb eating, and i wanted to see what food would do. Four months later, i no longer qualified for statins although my numbers weren't perfect. I also was diagnosed with diabetes five or so months ago, which is what caused me to begin this, and because of low carb, i do not have to take any diabetes medications. I think i said that before.

I don't think 30 grams is lazy keto. I saw a guy on YouTube who said the craze for 20 came about mostly through people getting competitive about it and that those people were not experts -- although i saw one Duke doctor on YouTube who has his patients do it. The point is if you're in ketosis, you're in ketosis. You don't get more in ketosis for eating fewer carbs. Now you might lose more weight if eating fewer carbs puts you in calorie deficit, but usually that is not the case. For low carbers the calories are in the fat.

I still haven't started tinkering with percentage of protein vs percentage of fat. I may not. I am losing weight. I am not hungry. Most of the food i eat is food food, meaning meat or fresh veg and a small amount of fruit. I do eat the occasional low carb tortilla. I love sour cream and eat some cheese. And i eat some almond butter. But most of my carbs come from fresh veg and fruit. And I'm losing. So i have no intention of cutting back on the healthiest foods on Earth.

My next effort to improve health is exercise. I have some health issues that make it harder, but I'm doing it. This was my first week, and i exercised three times. Twice i swam, and once i went to the gym.

When i see these people on YouTube eating 20 or under, they're not eating foods. They are pouring oils and supplements into a blender and calling it a meal. I will never be one of those folks.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #597
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

I don't aim for 20 carbs a day either. When I posted that I was doing lazy keto before, I just wasn't more careful with how I ate. My cholesterol dropped but not as much as it did now.

As long as we are in ketosis, we are using fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. As I said, I use keto sticks instead of strictly counting carbs now. I pretty much know when I have eaten more than I should.

I eat a piece of cheese, I eat sour cream and creme cheese too. Sour cream has 0.3 grams of carbs and for example, cheddar cheese has 0.4 grams a slice. If I did not include these each day, I would never get enough fat in my diet. My cholesterol was worse on a low fat diet than it is now.

When I say that I am strict now, that means no sugar, no processed carbohydrates, all "real" food.

~Washington Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #598
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

That's awesome. Sorry if i sounded defensive. It wasn't you. It's cause i watch these YouTube videos with self-righteous skinny folk, usually young guys, preaching at me about the right way to do keto. I'd love to kick one of them in a tender area.

I imagine my low carb tortillas are processed carbohydrates, but i sure do love them. I don't eat them that often. I also eat the breaded chicken sold at my neighborhood Publix. I've tested and tested, and eating it barely budges my blood glucose. And it's such a yummy treat. I tried KFC extra crispy and that did not go well. Live and learn.

I think i get most of my fats from Olive oil in salad dressings, from meat, and from the butter i so liberally apply to my vegetables. Oh some olive oil mayo too. That's processed. I love Cole slaw.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #599
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
That's awesome. Sorry if i sounded defensive. It wasn't you. It's cause i watch these YouTube videos with self-righteous skinny folk, usually young guys, preaching at me about the right way to do keto. I'd love to kick one of them in a tender area.

I imagine my low carb tortillas are processed carbohydrates, but i sure do love them. I don't eat them that often. I also eat the breaded chicken sold at my neighborhood Publix. I've tested and tested, and eating it barely budges my blood glucose. And it's such a yummy treat. I tried KFC extra crispy and that did not go well. Live and learn.

I think i get most of my fats from Olive oil in salad dressings, from meat, and from the butter i so liberally apply to my vegetables. Oh some olive oil mayo too. That's processed. I love Cole slaw.
Publix chicken is to DIE for!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #600
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

What I wanted to include in my post but didn't, is that we all do eating low carb our (own) way!

~Washington Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo