Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com

Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #41
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I decided to bump this thread because I have a question for some:

If you go into a thread and get "thumped" (whether by a mod or another user), does it bother you enough to leave a site? If so, why?

If not, do you decide to not go back into that thread ever or return later to check it out?
No.

Thumpings are usually well deserved and I don't take them personally or get my feelings hurt.

I always go back and look.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #42
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Kimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I decided to bump this thread because I have a question for some:

If you go into a thread and get "thumped" (whether by a mod or another user), does it bother you enough to leave a site? If so, why?

If not, do you decide to not go back into that thread ever or return later to check it out?
I try to be good and not get thumped by moderators, I do well with self moderation, however I have been thumped by other members. It does not bother me enough to leave a site. For the most part I respect those who have thumped me for their knowledge, point of view and passion. I am of the opinion we can have varied points of views and still get along, respect each other and be in the same community.

What does bother me and makes me feel like leaving is the tone of some posts. I know this is how some speak or come across, tone will deter me.

I have left some threads and never returned and others I've gone back, reread and, most often, gathered more food for thought.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #43
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,096 Times in 3,753 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
No.

Thumpings are usually well deserved and I don't take them personally or get my feelings hurt.

I always go back and look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
I try to be good and not get thumped by moderators, I do well with self moderation, however I have been thumped by other members. It does not bother me enough to leave a site. For the most part I respect those who have thumped me for their knowledge, point of view and passion. I am of the opinion we can have varied points of views and still get along, respect each other and be in the same community.

What does bother me and makes me feel like leaving is the tone of some posts. I know this is how some speak or come across, tone will deter me.

I have left some threads and never returned and others I've gone back, reread and, most often, gathered more food for thought.
I completely, utterly agree. Thanks Semantics and Kimbo, for beating me to it... tone is a serious determent for me, especially if it's an angry, resentful, "better than thou", or an obvious strike to derail. If I were to get thumped by the mods... than that means maybe my tone was offensive to others and I need to take a step back? I don't mind being humble and taking my thumping, then minding my manners and thanking those that "thumped me good".

I've recently stayed out of more substantial discussions... for personal reasons only and high stress levels stemming from my previous job... not because of the fear of being moderated or thumped. I recall posting in this thread early on... mostly a ramble about tone of voice and how I should moderate my own online communications, with respect to others.

I got THUMPED from my DSL service last night... right in the middle of posting this response... hope it works now?
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #44
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Another curiousity:

Do you ever stop "listening" in a thread?

Do you think that you "listen" (and I mean listen, not just read to understand but fully appreciate)?

A behaviour I've noticed is that when two people are presenting opposite views or slightly similar views but described differently, it's almost as if we don't listen to what another says (e.g., "I understand where you're coming from but for me, it was.."). I'm beginning to wonder if this is why we often feel like we're disrespected (whether based on what we say, how we say it or who were are). It creates, to me, a feeling of dismissiveness of others experience (as if the other person's life has no value or meaning).

Granted these are my view of things ... but what do others think?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #45
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thumping is a slippery slope with me. Sometimes I can get too caught up in a thread. I get too emotional or stuck in a circle and I have to leave it. It is an avoidance technique for me.

I do get hurt sometimes. For the most part it does not bother me. The only subject I will not discuss now is religion because that got a little too hurtful and personal for me. That is just self-care on my part and in no way reflects on the discussion or how it was carried out.

As far as not listening? Yeah I totally do and see that. We all have our "schtick" if you will and I see the same phrases and arguments used over and over again. Since I can't truly see myself I would guess I do the same thing. Some people I am not able to "hear" anymore. I would think some people can't hear me either. It is the same in real time as well.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #46
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Another curiousity:

Do you ever stop "listening" in a thread?

Do you think that you "listen" (and I mean listen, not just read to understand but fully appreciate)?

A behaviour I've noticed is that when two people are presenting opposite views or slightly similar views but described differently, it's almost as if we don't listen to what another says (e.g., "I understand where you're coming from but for me, it was.."). I'm beginning to wonder if this is why we often feel like we're disrespected (whether based on what we say, how we say it or who were are). It creates, to me, a feeling of dismissiveness of others experience (as if the other person's life has no value or meaning).

Granted these are my view of things ... but what do others think?
Yes, I do stop listening, really listening, in threads that I feel defensive in. Once I've been attacked or my viewpoint has been attacked, I tend to 'fight fire with fire'. I also stop listening to what is being said when I'm not interested in what is currently going on. I go on auto skim mode until something else peaks my interest. If that doesn't happen after a while, I unsubscribe.

I do try to 'see' what the other person is saying, when I feel that they have something worthwhile to say. I think we'd be lying if we said differently. We all judge everyone else. It's not only how we function but how we survive.

Dark alley, lone guy walking with an odd gait and something under his jacket? Instinct says to pick another alley, right? He may be a deranged fellow who likes to chop people up with the cleaver in his jacket or he might be a gentle and shy guy who has a limp and a cold Chihuahua under his jacket. How many of us would go into that alley and get close enough to find out? Not many I'm sure.

Our beliefs, ideals, faith, thoughts....etc....are part of us. I know that, when I feel as if I am being attacked or dismissed in a thread, I feel as if "I" am being....not my beliefs, ideals, faith or thoughts...attacked or dismissed. It's a hard pill to swallow. I shut off the 'hearing you' part and my inner troups gather and retaliate with 'take that!' or I just shut down or off or both.

We all like to be 'heard'. Sometimes that need overwhelms our desire to see others' viewpoints.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #47
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for the responses. I know that I personally, at times, have stopped listening in some threads but I've learned that when I do that, to try to step back and come back at another time once I've digested things a bit more.

The two of you that did respond (and those perhaps reading) I'm curious if you equate someone disagreeing with a post (let's say that they go through your post point-by-point and address each one individually rather than the post as a whole) as being against you as an individual? Do you ever feel slighted if people are continually on the other side of the fence than you (whatever that fence is)?

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #48
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

Linus,

I was really an ass to you once ( maybe twice? ) when you were talking all computer techy to me.
I was frustrated and sooo lost in your terminology I got snippy ,rude and felt like you were talking down to me.
Anyway , you didnt deserve that and I am truly sorry

and thanks for the horse
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #49
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Linus,

I was really an ass to you once ( maybe twice? ) when you were talking all computer techy to me.
I was frustrated and sooo lost in your terminology I got snippy ,rude and felt like you were talking down to me.
Anyway , you didnt deserve that and I am truly sorry

and thanks for the horse
I appreciate the apology but I'll have to admit that I don't remember (it's something to do with getting old and memory being the 2nd thing to go). And I tend to give people who are in dire tech situations more leeway because I know frustration tends to get the better of us.

Even me at times. Ask Medusa and she'll tell ya.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #50
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The two of you that did respond (and those perhaps reading) I'm curious if you equate someone disagreeing with a post (let's say that they go through your post point-by-point and address each one individually rather than the post as a whole) as being against you as an individual? Do you ever feel slighted if people are continually on the other side of the fence than you (whatever that fence is)?
I actually enjoy being disagreed with, if it's respectful. That's one way to learn and grow as a human being. I do, however, start getting snippy and irritated when it's the same person repeatedly addressing my posts, even if there's really nothing to address (stirring the pot, so to speak). I also get upset if I feel I am explaining myself the best way(s) I can and everyone that posts seems to get it except one person and that person lambasts me over and over for no apparent reason, other than personal gripes.

For me, mostly, it's about the tone and the inflection I interpret in folks' posts. If I feel that someone is being condescending and snotty (without having permission to be snotty to me regularly....an example would be Diva...not that she IS snotty to me but it's something that is allowed in our friendship because we're both quite snarky and sassy at times and sometimes it just works for us) to me, I feel my hackles rise. I don't get too bothered if someone's passionate about something. I'm Italian...I can do passion....but if they are obviously (to me, in my own interpretation) falling fast and furiously off the deep end, the length of my rope shortens significantly.

Honestly, I might get my feelings hurt if I was constantly corrected or rebuked for my beliefs but, unless it was extreme, I wouldn't carry it with me beyond that moment of passing hurt.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #51
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

I read the following two articles:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16373...ne_forums.html

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html

And some of it was dead on (particularly the comment about the various types of "idiots" on forums today). I'll admit to be a few of those idiots at one time or another. :P

Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #52
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
I read the following two articles:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16373...ne_forums.html

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html

And some of it was dead on (particularly the comment about the various types of "idiots" on forums today). I'll admit to be a few of those idiots at one time or another. :P

Ha! A coworker actually just forwarded the "village idiot" one to me and I admit to having a chuckle over it
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #53
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

This is one of my personal faves:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

It's a listing of "Flame Warriors". Internet personalities that I bet we can identify

Just click the little drop-down box on the right and there is a huge list with some pretty amusing descriptions.

edited to add: It seems that author has employed a large amount of sexism to get his humor across so, just beware ahead of time.

Last edited by Medusa; 04-15-2010 at 11:16 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #54
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Hi Everyone!

I have no clue as to what thumping is. Never heard that before, Linus.

Yes, I am slow on the pickup of things, but I do recognize the people Medusa. Thank you for the link! I think it's a good site to use. I like to see visuals to connect with an emotion.

Enjoy your day!
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #55
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

LOL. "Thumping", in the BFPlanet world, means a mod has "thumped" you over the head for doing something bad.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #56
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Ohhhh. Ok. Got it. I really had no idea. I thought it was the name of a rabbit in a children's book or something.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #57
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Just wanted to bump this thread up:

For anyone who uses Facebook or any other website where you talk to people you don't know, I highly recommend watching the movie "Catfish".

It's a documentary that just came out and I think every single person on this site should have to watch it as a condition of membership
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: