Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #1741
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
I hope you'll write us some brief reviews if time permits. These all sound like interesting reads.
I really like hearing what folks think about what they're reading or have read too.

Just started the Bryson today but always enjoy his wonderfully understated, wry style of writing.

Shakespeare on Toast (non fiction) is wonderful thus far; I'm about two thirds through; It's made me laugh out loud and imparted new knowledge too...bonus! Not finished it but highly recommend to those who like language, literature, Shakespeare and theatre study.

Recovery's a Bitch was not what I expected sadly mainly because I was a numpty and didn't read the Amazon synopsis, just went on the title alone. Doh! However, it's funny, hilarious in parts and I'm glad I got it...it's very much a 'dipper' though. The author is a woman who was dealing with her daughter's addictions and destructive behaviours concurrently with her own menopausal symptoms. I had been looking for info about dealing with man-o-pause in recovery

Living Clean is the newly approved NA book and it's awesome! I could critique how it's written but won't, just because in this context, it wouldn't be helpful. Not finished it yet; enjoying reading it in chunks along with others at the meeting I currently chair. Everyone is loving reading/hearing it because it's not something we've already heard endlessly - although sometimes, endlessly is what it takes

The Etymologicon is another dipper; A bathroom book if you will
It is, as you might imagine, a book about where words come from. There's much more to it than that though. If you like words, etymology and language you might really enjoy this book. Not read enough to critque properly yet.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #1742
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Pansexual/Sapiosexual femmey dyke who likes to crossdress now and then
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her OR ze if I'm crossdressing
Relationship Status:
Floating and walking My path, happy in life.

Thanked 8,694 Times in 2,987 Posts
TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

Next on my list is Chicken Soup for the traveler's soul
TheMerryFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #1743
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

" You are not so smart." By David Mcraney
Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #1744
alexri

How Do You Identify?:
-

Thanked 2,799 Times in 468 Posts
alexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputation

Not reading, but listening to the audio books at work.

"Dark Nights of the Soul: A Guide to Finding Your Way Through Life's Ordeals" by Thomas More

"Sex Changes: A Memoir of Marriage, Gender, and Moving On" by Christine Benvenuto

"Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor E. Frankl

"This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection" by Carol Burnett
alexri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #1745
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

recent reads:
alex cross, run, james patterson
negotiator, dee henderson
quinn's christmas wish, lawna mackie

currently readin':
the rules of life, richard templar
southern waters, d.g. mcintosh
in a true light, john harvey
Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #1746
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I just downloaded Assholes: A Theory by Aaron James. It got mixed reviews, but I'm drawn to the oddball social science books, so what the hey.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #1747
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and Dog Show Confidential by Connie Newcomb

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #1748
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Shakespeare on Toast (non fiction) is wonderful thus far; I'm about two thirds through; It's made me laugh out loud and imparted new knowledge too...bonus! Not finished it but highly recommend to those who like language, literature, Shakespeare and theatre study.
Thanks for posting this...the books sounds really interesting and is now on my "to read" list.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #1749
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
Thanks for posting this...the books sounds really interesting and is now on my "to read" list.
Yer very welcome

It's a fascinating read, written so dummies like me can understand it. I hope you enjoy when you get a round tuit
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #1750
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I’m reading Travels with Herodotus.
This is Ryszard Kapuscinski’s last work, part memoir and part reflection on Herodotus' Histories, which he takes along during his travels.
I like it so far. I loved Imperium. Kapuscinski’s writing follows a narrative similar to the stories told to me by my own family and their experiences in post civil war and pre-Soviet Russia. He captures the mix of beauty and starkness
and what happens to regular people when empires fall and a society restructures and rebuilds. I don’t think it’s an easy dichotomy for a writer to process and retell with any balance, but he does it well.

Next up is The Long Falling by Keith Ridgway. I've heard great things about it.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #1751
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Russian ballet..

Ballet Russes~Andre Tubeuf
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #1752
justanolecowboy

How Do You Identify?:
ftm
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
committed.

Thanked 1,957 Times in 458 Posts
justanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
At Home, a Short History of Private Life - Bill Bryson
Shakespeare on Toast - Ben Crystal
Recovery's a Bitch - Jacqui Brown
Living Clean - the approval draft
The Etymologican - Mark Forsyth
Have read the Bill Bryson - i liked it - i enjoy most of his writing.

justanolecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justanolecowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #1753
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Tomorrow....adventures in an uncertain world by Bradley Trevor Greive

One of those cute little (100 pages) books of wisdom. The wildlife photos that accompany the thoughts are priceless.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #1754
Cid

How Do You Identify?:
ultra femme princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, lady..whichever
Relationship Status:
waiting for the right one

Thanked 2,731 Times in 632 Posts
Cid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST ReputationCid Has the BEST Reputation

Right now...posts. That's about it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #1755
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanolecowboy View Post
Have read the Bill Bryson - i liked it - i enjoy most of his writing.
I also enjoy Bill Bryson's writing. I have read A Walk in the Woods, it inspired me (partly, but largely) to want to hike the AT.
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #1756
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading Wilderness Essays by John Muir.... Excellent book Even the introduction was good, and I typically just skim them
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #1757
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Punk History: American Hardcore by Steven Blush
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1758
Degotoga

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Respectful and situational appropriate ones
Relationship Status:
Enjoying butchelorhood

Thanked 4,386 Times in 1,233 Posts
Degotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST ReputationDegotoga Has the BEST Reputation

Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #1759
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Pansexual/Sapiosexual femmey dyke who likes to crossdress now and then
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her OR ze if I'm crossdressing
Relationship Status:
Floating and walking My path, happy in life.

Thanked 8,694 Times in 2,987 Posts
TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett. I am half way through "Fall of the Giants" and I have Winter of the World waiting for me.
TheMerryFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #1760
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister's Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya.

Reading these "love stories" is like chewing on broken glass.
Petrushevskaya is an excellent writer, however, so the bleeding is worth it. Kind of.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading