Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Runner

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Runner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST Reputation
Default Commute

Hey all

I'm considering a move from the city (Dublin, not sure that's relevant but I'll tell you anyway). The new place is a bit more rural so quieter, so much cheaper and great living space. The only potential downside is the commute to work. At the moment I'm spoiled, I can leave the car at home and walk to the office in about 20mins. From the new location probably looking at about an hour each way driving.

Just wondering how long is your commute? Do you walk/drive/cycle/use public transport?

How important a consideration is it for you?

At the moment I'm thinking this is fine, however I have been known to be compulsive making decisions and I don't want wake up day one after move thinking WTF have I done

Thanks all for any experiences you may be willing to share.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Runner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Cheaper is always wonderful but it has to be weighed with all of the possible commute factors, because it can wind up not being wonderful at all.

The first house I bought was an hour from my job. I thought, OK, this is bearable.

By the 5th year, it was taking 1.5 hours each way. (LA/OC area and very relevant). On a rainy day, it was 2 hours each way. I don't know how Dublin traffic is, but here it is atrocious.

If you find that you can't enjoy your life because the commute is so long, it may not be worth it. I got a job closer to my house, leaving a position I really liked.

You have to factor everything into the equation. I overlooked a few things in my enthusiasm to be able to get my first house.

In my current area, a 20 minute commute can turn into an easy hour (or longer). If one car slows down to look at a car on the side of the freeway-forget about it. Bumper cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Hey all

I'm considering a move from the city (Dublin, not sure that's relevant but I'll tell you anyway). The new place is a bit more rural so quieter, so much cheaper and great living space. The only potential downside is the commute to work. At the moment I'm spoiled, I can leave the car at home and walk to the office in about 20mins. From the new location probably looking at about an hour each way driving.

Just wondering how long is your commute? Do you walk/drive/cycle/use public transport?

How important a consideration is it for you?

At the moment I'm thinking this is fine, however I have been known to be compulsive making decisions and I don't want wake up day one after move thinking WTF have I done

Thanks all for any experiences you may be willing to share.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,278 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation

One of the things I always considered when looking for a place to live (rentals) was how long it would take me to get to work. Thirty minutes was my preferred maximum. You're considering losing 1 hour and 20 minutes per day (on a good day) to a commute to save some money. What is your time worth? Factor in the extra petrol as well.

Also, how far away is your social network if you move? Staying in the city after work to socialize and then driving home an hour would also be problematic for me.

<--hoping it's called petrol in Ireland as well as England.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
TL1

How Do You Identify?:
Butch of stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
The guy kind

Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,006 Posts
TL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST Reputation

My commute is 45 minutes to an hour. Occasionally a lot longer if there’s an accident or some slow person backing everyone up.
I agree with what’s been said so far.
You have to weigh everything. It’s true you feel like you don’t have much free time when it takes so long to get home from work. And here it seems like traffic gets worse every year that passes.

But also you should be happy with where you live. If living in the area that’s close to work sucks and you would be happier in another area yeah I’d take the commute. If you like your area and are happy where you are then for me I’d rather be close to work.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,326 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default Commute

My commute to work in the city is 1.5 hours each way. Sometimes it is even longer if the traffic is bad or if there is an accident. My work day with my commute is 12 hours and even longer if I work late.

I do not recommend it because it is exhausting and reduces time with loved ones and leasure.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post: