Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow band View Post
Very informative link, thank you. Espresso is a roast, came right out of my
tutorial book that Zack and Dani's sent along.
I've seen that book. The author seems to have just decided to stick in their very own label for a roast level in between a couple of the standard roast levels and call it espresso roast. They could just as easily have called it dinosaur roast or purple roast. They're the only author I've seen who seems to think it exists.

Quote:
I burr my grind my beans all at once. If I read your post correctly, you grind as you brew?
Yes, I grind as I brew. Coffee goes stale very quickly, and the greater the surface area the faster it goes stale. You get the best flavor by pulling your shot no more than 30 seconds after grinding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SecretAgentMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

I know about the beans being completely stale within 10 days of roast. I mentioned I am friendly with a starbucks manager, they *grind* as they go too. But I don't pay too
much attention to some of the things she says, as she honestly believes those beans she is *grinding* are fresh.

We have talked, and been reading up on our future purchases. I'd like an espresso maker made of brass and has the water coming right into it from the water line. But then reality sets in and I am reminded that my Mr. Coffee
really does meet my needs. So perhaps an upgrade to that and definitely a newer roaster. Do you know anything about the hot air roasters? I see they are pushing two hot air models.....(is that too get rid of them) I wonder about the
consistency f the beans being roasted.

Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I love coffee and can't imagine life without it, but I don;t really like the smell of rtoasing coffee. There was a roasting plant next door to our house when I was a kid and it ruined it for me.

I am enjoying reading about your experiences though. Great thread!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMa'am View Post
Yes, I grind as I brew. Coffee goes stale very quickly, and the greater the surface area the faster it goes stale. You get the best flavor by pulling your shot no more than 30 seconds after grinding.
Quincy Magoo here. I almost missed this. Another 30 second rule.

30 pounds of pressure, 30 seconds after slice, and a 30 second pull.

MMM I'm glad you started this thread. This time of day is the roughest for me. Everyone is walking around with an afternoon something. Coffee,
(orange pop is popular in here??) and almost everyone has a water can.

We have a really nice water cooler/filter thing. And they won't buy disposable cups. I like that idea. Customers use China. Off topic, distracted by smell of coffee brewing.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I love coffee and can't imagine life without it, but I don;t really like the smell of rtoasing coffee. There was a roasting plant next door to our house when I was a kid and it ruined it for me.

I am enjoying reading about your experiences though. Great thread!
I also used to live near a roast house. The smell of a big, commercial operation is nothing like the smell of a small home roaster. It's entirely possible that you only hated the smell because it's really intense when large volumes are being roasted. What you're smelling is more smoke than anything else, and the smoke from roasting coffee smells gross. Many home roasters (like the ones that have been mentioned here) have catalytic converters so you don't get any smoke at all. When I'm roasting a pound or less, there's barely any smell at all. The smell that does exist is kind of a nutty/toasty scent.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

Hey coffee lovers! Today is National Coffee Day in the US!

In honor of the day, my usual double latte is being replaced with a quad mocha breve. That's 4 shots of espresso, chocolate syrup, and steamed half & half. I don't even want to know how many calories and fat grams are in that.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #27
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

Also, The Oatmeal is awesome.

The actual image is way too big to post here, just click the link to go see 15 Things Worth Knowing About Coffee: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/coffee
Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #28
Daktari

I'm a half and half coffee snob.

I love Illy espresso coffee made in a Bialetti stove top pot but rarely drink coffee at home. I gave up copious amounts of caffiene quite a number of years ago (with the same months long headache that Yellow band spoke of which was no worse than the months long headache I had from drinking too much of the damn stuff!) and tend to only drink coffee when I'm out and about.

I drink coffee in the independent coffee shops in town. In the last 12months I've moved from drinking Barista House blend in a cappucino to a machiato or a tall machiato, again with Barista House blend; or Dolce's house blend if at my other current favourite coffee shop.

I would rather eat my own eyebrows than drink McStarbucks.

However, I do drink the brown liquid that passes for coffee at college or at friends houses.

Last edited by Daktari; 09-29-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: colouring in
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #29
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Quote:
Hey coffee lovers! Today is National Coffee Day in the US!

In honor of the day, my usual double latte is being replaced with a quad mocha breve. That's 4 shots of espresso, chocolate syrup, and steamed half & half. I don't even want to know how many calories and fat grams are in that.
I've never had half & half.....I afraid to ask half what (I'll look it up) ^ that
sounds wonderful.....and a few oreo cookies to dunk in....and i'd be right be back to my old habits.

I can hardly stand it around here. Every day at Two Oclock they make fresh coffee and that's all I can smell. I'm Jonesing for it. It doesn't help that I am on an insomniac streak. Last night at 12:30, I was watching the HSN promote these cheap ass blenders. They were making green smoothies. They smooth after 7 minutes of blending. Maybe they thought no one was paying attention.

Was anyone giving away free coffee on National Coffee Day?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
femmennoir

How Do You Identify?:
femme, naturellement
Preferred Pronoun?:
Elle
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,223 Times in 478 Posts
femmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputation
Default Going organic!

My morning coffee is triple espresso with half and half, and a spoonful of organic raw sugar. I make the espresso in my Italian macchinetta on top of the stove. I cannot start my day properly without it!

Elle*
And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.

Anna Akhmatova "White nights"
femmennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femmennoir For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #31
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

I have become addicted to expresso -

I already broke one machine from too much use and plan to buy a newer grander one.

For now I get my freshly brewed expresso at the coffee bar at work,

hand over my coffee and no one gets hurt......

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #32
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

My drink is freshly ground Peets French Roast with 2 Spenda and one teaspoon of half-n-half (YB, it is made of 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream). Calories for 1/2& 1/2 =40 and I count it in my daily total since I love my coffee that way

Drink up y'all!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #33
crashhere4eva

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, hym...I'm not gonna bite your head off about it
Relationship Status:
Busy... Teaching a hott professor

crashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow band View Post
I've never had half & half.....I afraid to ask half what (I'll look it up) ^ that
sounds wonderful.....and a few oreo cookies to dunk in....and i'd be right be back to my old habits.

I can hardly stand it around here. Every day at Two Oclock they make fresh coffee and that's all I can smell. I'm Jonesing for it. It doesn't help that I am on an insomniac streak. Last night at 12:30, I was watching the HSN promote these cheap ass blenders. They were making green smoothies. They smooth after 7 minutes of blending. Maybe they thought no one was paying attention.

Was anyone giving away free coffee on National Coffee Day?
I use to manage Dunkin Donuts once in MA and 2 years ago in IN and we gave away a free small coffee on this day.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #34
crashhere4eva

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, hym...I'm not gonna bite your head off about it
Relationship Status:
Busy... Teaching a hott professor

crashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputation

I miss Iced Coffee from home, they don't have it here in Iowa. I like one or two expresso shots in it too and like flavored creamer like buttascotch, toffee or somethin like that.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #35
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

Yellow band, half & half is a 50/50 mixture of milk and cream. Lighter than cream by itself, but thicker than milk. It's wonderful, and the texture is like silk when you steam it.

I love flavored syrups to sweeten my coffee, but they're expensive, so I make my own. This weekend, I'm making Pumpkin Spice syrup. When that's gone, it'll finally be eggnog season!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #36
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya/Georgia View Post
My drink is freshly ground Peets French Roast with 2 Spenda and one teaspoon of half-n-half (YB, it is made of 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream). Calories for 1/2& 1/2 =40 and I count it in my daily total since I love my coffee that way

Drink up y'all!
A teaspoon? Isn't it more like 2 tablespoons for 40 calories?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #37
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
A teaspoon? Isn't it more like 2 tablespoons for 40 calories?
Hey yeah! I was @ work, didn't have container handy. I have been overestimating the cals better than underestimating!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #38
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Quote:
Yellow band, half & half is a 50/50 mixture of milk and cream. Lighter than cream by itself, but thicker than milk. It's wonderful, and the texture is like silk when you steam it.

I love flavored syrups to sweeten my coffee, but they're expensive, so I make my own. This weekend, I'm making Pumpkin Spice syrup. When that's gone, it'll finally be eggnog season!
Good morning. Sorry, due to my inability to sleep sometimes, yesterday was not a good for me to be formulating sentences. I have always just done the black coffee thing. I like to taste the coffee. Right now having a double espresso. (and a treximet...rescue me) Plus, I have this thing about
cow products and how many antibiotics they shoot into them (another one of my weirdnesses).

I was doing the syrups...and buying the sugar free, Target sells a brand that the american diabetic association endorsed, the house brand, is it Market Pantry? Anyhow.....I stopped using them, again, I love to taste my coffees. I keep Skim milk on hand for any guests who want a latte. However, if it'll make a better drink, I'll try the half and half. Thank you for the tip!

Anya, I read where you wrote someplace "I'm so vanilla"....I think I am too.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #39
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya/Georgia View Post

Drink up y'all!
PEETS, theres that word again. I'm going to look this up on the internet. Is splenda zero calories? Am I missing something with this cream and sugar in the coffee?

I think I mentioned this before, maybe in this thread. I was a late in life coffee drinker. In my thirties. Someone must have told me the buzz was better if you drank it black. I remember exactly when I started drinking it. When I started doing shift work. Then, a pot of coffee a shift wasn't enough, along came the 20 oz.Mt. Dews.....I see that Code red in the stores and always think, wonder how that tastes. But don't dare taste it, for fear I'll love it and will start drinking that again. I will never EVER forget how awful the caffeine withdrawl was. That's why I don't give smokers a hard time about struggling with quitting.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #40
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
I'm a half and half coffee snob. Another ONE!!!

I love Illy espresso coffee made in a Bialetti stove top pot but rarely drink coffee at home. I gave up copious amounts of caffiene quite a number of years ago (with the same months long headache that Yellow band spoke of which was no worse than the months long headache I had from drinking too much of the damn stuff!)Rebound headache, weird how that works isn't it? and tend to only drink coffee when I'm out and about.

I drink coffee in the independent coffee shops in town. In the last 12months I've moved from drinking Barista House blend in a cappucino to a machiato or a tall machiato, again with Barista House blend; or Dolce's house blend if at my other current favourite coffee shop.Dolce's is another name in coffee that I have been seeing very recently. It's a K Cup (over here) and it's made by Nescafe
Used to be Folgers ~gag~!

I would rather eat my own eyebrows than drink McStarbucks.Burnt! However, they own Seattles Best, and that isn't as bad...in my opinion.

However, I do drink the brown liquid that passes for coffee at college or at friends houses.
Me and my stainless steel thermos, if I want a mid day java, I make my own. I won't risk bad coffee.