Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #1082
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hello Sister Femmes!

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #1083
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

...hello...

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #1084
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,527 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

HI!!!

Happiness is like a butterfly which,
when pursued, is always beyond our grasp,
but, if you will sit down quietly,
may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #1085
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,641 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Loved this read...

A few weeks ago, I was shopping at Buffalo Exchange when I came across a bright pink t-shirt. Normally, I wouldn't have bothered to pick it up. While I love a pop of color in my mostly black wardrobe, pink tends to wash out my ghost-white skin. But it wasn't the color that caught my eye, it was the word scrawled across the chest: "Femme."

As a lesbian who enjoys makeup, dresses, crop tops, and curling my hair (even though it's such a hassle), I'm basically the definition of a femme. So this shirt felt tailor-made for me. But at the same time, I was a little irritated thinking about other people wearing it. Namely, straight women. Because, among the LGBTQ+ community, femme is a descriptor that can feel as inherent to someone's identity as lesbian, bisexual, or genderqueer. So to see the word emblazoned across a shirt that was first sold at a mainstream store like Madewell and then eventually found its way to Buffalo Exchange was a little jarring. How many straight women have worn the shirt completely oblivious of the queer history it invokes?

Femmes have been part of queer history since at least the late 1940s and early 1950s, when lesbian and bisexual women (specifically working-class women) coined a term to describe the relationships they were forming: butch-femme. "Butch-femme relationships, as I experienced them, were complex erotic statements...filled with a deeply lesbian language of stance, dress, gesture, loving, courage, and autonomy," Joan Nestle, founder of the Lesbian Herstory Archives, wrote in her essay Butch-Femme Relationships and Sexual Courage in the 1950’s. While many argued against butch-femme relationships at the time (and sometimes still do) as being attempts to mimic heterosexual relationships, Nestle claimed that butch-femme couples terrified other lesbians because they were unwilling to hide. Unlike closeted lesbians who could pass for straight, butch-femme couples made queer women visible. "In the 1950s this courage to feel comfortable with arousing another woman became a political act," she wrote.

Femininity for femme lesbians wasn't just a look,
it was statement that they wouldn't bend to
anyone else's expectations.

Read more here: A Brief History Of The Word "Femme"

https://www.refinery29.com/femme-lesbian-lgbtq-history

Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #1086
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Hello & Happy Summer Solstice to everyone.

Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #1087
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
A few weeks ago, I was shopping at Buffalo Exchange when I came across a bright pink t-shirt. Normally, I wouldn't have bothered to pick it up. While I love a pop of color in my mostly black wardrobe, pink tends to wash out my ghost-white skin. But it wasn't the color that caught my eye, it was the word scrawled across the chest: "Femme."

As a lesbian who enjoys makeup, dresses, crop tops, and curling my hair (even though it's such a hassle), I'm basically the definition of a femme. So this shirt felt tailor-made for me. But at the same time, I was a little irritated thinking about other people wearing it. Namely, straight women. Because, among the LGBTQ+ community, femme is a descriptor that can feel as inherent to someone's identity as lesbian, bisexual, or genderqueer. So to see the word emblazoned across a shirt that was first sold at a mainstream store like Madewell and then eventually found its way to Buffalo Exchange was a little jarring. How many straight women have worn the shirt completely oblivious of the queer history it invokes?

Femmes have been part of queer history since at least the late 1940s and early 1950s, when lesbian and bisexual women (specifically working-class women) coined a term to describe the relationships they were forming: butch-femme. "Butch-femme relationships, as I experienced them, were complex erotic statements...filled with a deeply lesbian language of stance, dress, gesture, loving, courage, and autonomy," Joan Nestle, founder of the Lesbian Herstory Archives, wrote in her essay Butch-Femme Relationships and Sexual Courage in the 1950’s. While many argued against butch-femme relationships at the time (and sometimes still do) as being attempts to mimic heterosexual relationships, Nestle claimed that butch-femme couples terrified other lesbians because they were unwilling to hide. Unlike closeted lesbians who could pass for straight, butch-femme couples made queer women visible. "In the 1950s this courage to feel comfortable with arousing another woman became a political act," she wrote.

Femininity for femme lesbians wasn't just a look,
it was statement that they wouldn't bend to
anyone else's expectations.

Read more here: A Brief History Of The Word "Femme"

https://www.refinery29.com/femme-lesbian-lgbtq-history

Great read!! Perfectly sums up some of my own irritation around the word "Femme" being co-opted in different spaces.

To me, Femme is a QUEER identity. Period.

xoxo
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #1088
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,110 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

I read both teen Vogue and Cosmogirl. What can I say, I have a penchant for teen magazines. And they now use the word "femme" to describe a "girly" style. Like they might have outfits for sporty style, glam, boho, etc. And what used to be girly is now interchangeable with " femme". It really irks me that the word is being co-opted in this way, even if in teen magazines.

In other news, hellooooo femmes!!!

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #1089
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
I read both teen Vogue and Cosmogirl. What can I say, I have a penchant for teen magazines. And they now use the word "femme" to describe a "girly" style. Like they might have outfits for sporty style, glam, boho, etc. And what used to be girly is now interchangeable with " femme". It really irks me that the word is being co-opted in this way, even if in teen magazines.

In other news, hellooooo femmes!!!
You should write in. Who knows, your email might be featured and you could win something.

Hello, ladies!

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #1090
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hello & Good Afternoon....

Hope everyone is having an beautiful day.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #1091
akiza

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
khaleessi lol ^-^ just go with aki,ana,kit or princess
Relationship Status:
single

akiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputation

hi everyone wishing you a beautiful week ^^
akiza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akiza For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #1092
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #1093
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default Brunch in Paris anyone?

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #1094
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

hello femmes !!!!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #1095
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #1096
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #1097
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Hello sister femmes!

Today is National Girlfriends Day so hello to my girls and know that I celebrate you every day that I've known you.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #1098
socialjustice_fsu

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
It’s all good.

Location: The gulf waters are sapphire blue and the beach sand is white as snow.
Thanked 2,158 Times in 439 Posts
socialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Girl Dee...

So glad to see you so happy. It makes me happy for you. If you get back to NOLO we must meet up for a day!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #1099
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,110 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Howdy fellow femmelings!!!

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #1100
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialjustice_fsu View Post
So glad to see you so happy. It makes me happy for you. If you get back to NOLO we must meet up for a day!
thank you sweetness! i am so glad to see you around
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: