Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Vegan/Vegetarian Thread (discussion, recipes, laughs)

As a vegan (and sometimes vegetarian -- we have slips off sometimes when tempted with things that we grew up on), I always look for new recipes and discussions on things vegetarian/vegan. I'm actually looking for a red velvet vegan recipe if anyone knows of a good tried-and-true recipe.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
GinaSofia

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
a lifer @ 27 years.

GinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST ReputationGinaSofia Has the BEST Reputation

*subscribing

Sorry,I don't have the recipe you're looking for but I'd love to add some new veggie recipes to my collection.Thank you for this thread.
GinaSofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

**subscribing**
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

I love vegetarian food. I love tofu. Bread is my meat, i have tried and failed to achieve a vegetarian lifestyle but i love to eat and I have been introduced to many great vegetarian things. def subscribing
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I think I found one. I'm going to make it this aft and surprise K with it. It calls for round pans but I'm going to see if I can find some heart-shaped ones at the dollar store.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

I found it! And it was easy to make (although I had to adjust a couple of things: the store didn't have any vegan cream cheese and I forgot to get baking powder). It seems fine otherwise.

Here's the recipe (I'll post pictures once it's frosted and we've cut into it):

Quote:
What you need:
2 C soy milk
2 t white or apple cider vinegar

2 1/2 C flour
2 C vegan sugar
4 T cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt

1/2 C vegetable oil
2 1/2 T unsweetened apple sauce
2 oz red food coloring
4 t vanilla extract

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 round cake pans. Set aside. Then, in a small mixing bowl, mix the soy milk with the vinegar and allow to curdle.

In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Once the soymilk has curdled, add the veg oil, food coloring, vanilla, and apple sauce to the milk and stir.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until there are no lumps and the batter color is blended thoroughly. Evenly distribute the cake batter into the 2 round baking pans and place them in the oven.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until completely done. You can use a toothpick to test whether or not the cakes are finished.

Once they are done, remove them from the oven and set aside to cool.

Use the following for the frosting:

What you need:
1 C vegan butter
1 C vegan cream cheese
4 t vanilla extract
8 C vegan confectioners sugar

Beat the butter, vanilla, and cream cheese until smooth. On a medium speed setting, mix in the sugar about 2 cups at a time. You don’t have to use all 8 cups, but I wouldn’t use more than 8. Refrigerate until its time to frost.

When you are ready to frost the cakes, make sure you have plenty of room on your counter top. I like to make this a 4-layer cake, and you can do this by cutting each cake in 2 with a serrated bread knife. You have to be very careful in doing this, because the layers will be thin, but it looks fantastic when where is a nice layer of frosting between each layer of cake.

Once you have done this, ice the top and the sides and you’re ready to go! Enjoy with a big scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Linus, I was a vegan for about 10 years and have many great tried and true vegan recipies...specifically baked goods and deserts. I would be more than happy to share them
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
Linus, I was a vegan for about 10 years and have many great tried and true vegan recipies...specifically baked goods and deserts. I would be more than happy to share them
That is what this thread is for. By all means, share what you think is interesting, tasty and even if potentially fattening
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

I guess the recipe was ok since K had two slices already this evening. She suggested I open my own bakery. That'd be a bad idea since I'd gain about 300+ lbs from sampling my own wares.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

the best culinary gourmet egg replacer is called "ener-g", and it is awesome. i will also use flax meal, which adds moisture to baked goods, and you can reduce some of the oil if you like. walnut oil is great for baking. i made a totally vegan banana walnut cake in nordic ware [bake ware], and the physician said it was like "a piece of art". not to mention healthy- low sodium, fat [the good kind!], and it's balanced with the flours/milk. his staff loved it. just used bananas, flours: soy, fava, sorghum, chickpea; ener-g egg replacer, soy and/or coconut milk, flax meal, walnut oil, local and buckwheat honey, brown sugar, and a bit of vanilla.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
Surayna

How Do You Identify?:
Femme - babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Incredibly content, amazingly happy, and loved by some wonderful people!

2 Highscores

Surayna will become famous soon enoughSurayna will become famous soon enough

I was a vegetarian for years in my younger days...

Working hard on getting back to it, but still like my comfort foods from when I was a kid.

Would LOVE to eventually go vegan - maybe some day.
Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion
in the things we do for each other every day."
~Nicholas Sparks~
"Bite Marks Are Love Notes Written In Flesh"
~anonymous~
Surayna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Surayna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
the best culinary gourmet egg replacer is called "ener-g", and it is awesome. i will also use flax meal, which adds moisture to baked goods, and you can reduce some of the oil if you like. walnut oil is great for baking. i made a totally vegan banana walnut cake in nordic ware [bake ware], and the physician said it was like "a piece of art". not to mention healthy- low sodium, fat [the good kind!], and it's balanced with the flours/milk. his staff loved it. just used bananas, flours: soy, fava, sorghum, chickpea; ener-g egg replacer, soy and/or coconut milk, flax meal, walnut oil, local and buckwheat honey, brown sugar, and a bit of vanilla.
I've never used ener-g egg replacer. And I have a nice recipe for a vegan banana bread that's extremely simple:

Quote:
Ingredients:
------------------------------------------------------

3 medium sized ripe bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (walnut, pecan, etc.)
3/4 cup of sugar

Instructions:

Mash bananas. Add the peanut butter, salt, baking soda, sugar and nuts. Stir together until combined. Add flour and stir to combined. Pour into greased baking pan (use soy butter for this). Use a small casserole dish or a 9 x 12 pan to ensure it's evenly baked.

Let bread bake for one hour at 350F in oven. Then let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.

Additional comments:

This is a quick recipe and one I do by hand since we don't have a blender or masher. The bread lasts about 3 days max here (there's only two of us) so it goes quickly. You could easily freeze extra portions. Additionally, this recipe is great if you freeze ripe bananas and want to use them later. Just let them dethaw for about 4-8 hours and then use them.

You can make the recipe without nuts but the bread will feel denser. If you do make it without nuts shorten the time in the over to about 40-45 minutes as the bread will bake faster.

I've also added vanilla and/or cinnamon for an additional hidden flavouring to the bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surayna View Post
I was a vegetarian for years in my younger days...

Working hard on getting back to it, but still like my comfort foods from when I was a kid.

Would LOVE to eventually go vegan - maybe some day.
Many of those same comfort foods can be vegan/vegetarian. What specifically were your favourites?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

i should have noted that the cake i made was also wheat/gluten free. linus, thank you for your recipes.
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default links to other sites are good too!

http://www.all-creatures.org/article...ganturkey.html

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html
[click on food items and hit submit for your recipe. my non-vegan friend made this and loved the loaf, plus the simplicity of just choosing an item from each group]

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default Caribbean Sweet Potato Pudding

I was a vegetarian / vegan for years. I love vegetarian fare, although I now am an omnivore. I am naturally ethereal, and need the grounding..... I need to find Vegan cake recipes, as I am very allergic to eggs. I stopped baking, because nothing turned out well. I saw the red velvet cake Linus posted, and I once again have hope. I sure would love to see more Vegan baked yummies if you have recipes to share!

I saw this prepared on the food Network and it looked so good I had to try it. It has become a favorite. The ratio of sweet potatoes to coconut milk is important if you want to get the right consistency. Also I tend to be heavy handed with spices, it was not a good idea here. The recipe is perfectly blended.

Caribbean Sweet Potato Pudding

Ingredients

* Softened butter, for the pan
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
* 3 pounds white-fleshed sweet potatoes, called boniato or batata
* 1/4 cup shredded coconut
* 1/4 cup raisins
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 3 cups coconut milk
* 1/4 cup evaporated milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.

Using the grater attachment on a food processor, grate the potatoes and put in a large bowl. Add the flour, coconut, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and mix well.

Heat the sugar, coconut milk, and evaporated milk in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.

Pour the coconut milk mixture into the potato mixture and mix well. Pour the mixture into the baking dish, smooth the top, and bake until set, about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default Plantain Fritters

Plantains are usually found in Ethnic markets or placed that have Latin ingredients. They look like really large Bananas, and have a very tough skin. They are used green, where they are not sweet, and ripe where they can be very sweet. These bananas are for cooking, not for eating raw!!!!! This recipe calls for sweet ripe Plantains. The skin will be Yellow as opposed to green. There may be brown spots, which does not mean you can't use them, as long as they are "firm" they are good.
go here to learn how to use Plantain or Platanos>>> http://www.elboricua.com/platanos.html

Plantain Fritters

Ingredients

* 3 ripe plantains
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, optional
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions

Wash plantains and cut into thirds; leaving the skin on. Place the pieces in a medium pan with water; cover, and bring to a boil. Cook until the flesh is soft, about 15 minutes

Drain and peel the plantains and transfer to a large bowl. Mash to a smooth consistency and add the baking powder, salt, garlic, and pepper. Mix well. Using your hands, form small, thin cakes about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Heat oil in large skillet until very hot. Fry the cakes until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Default Tostones

3 green plantains
oil for frying
garlic powder
salt

Making tostones is easy….. Slice the peeled plantains diagonally into 1" slices. Fry the slices over medium heat until they soften. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Using a tostonera (a press), slightly mash each piece to about half an inch in thickness. If a tostonera is not available insert the pieces between a folded piece of brown-paper sack and press down using a saucer. It is best to press all the pieces first before going on the next step. Dip each piece in warm salted water and fry again until crispy. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Salt them. Tostones may be served with ketchup (kid's favorite) or with garlic sauce.

**or your favorite dipping sauce. I LOVE Tostones, make sure they are crispy (that's why you dip them in salt water before re-frying)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Oh.. so which plantain recipe is the sweeter of the two? I remember my mom making those when I was a kid..

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Default Tembleque

If you like coconut desserts, you will love this. It is simple and smooth as velvet, I did use the orange blossom water, and it adds a wonderful fragrant under tone. I poured it into snow man molds for Xmas.

Tembleque
Cool and delicious

4 cups coconut milk
½ cup of cornstarch
2/3 cup of sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tblsp. orange blossom water (optional)
ground cinnamon

In a saucepan dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup coconut milk. Once dissolved add the rest of the coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Cook at medium-high heat stirring constantly! As it thickens, lower heat until it boils thick. Pour right away into wet molds, pans or cups. Cool and then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Carefully separate the tembleque from the mold using a knife. Turn it over unto a dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Makes about 12 servings.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Default {{{Hi Linus}}}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Oh.. so which plantain recipe is the sweeter of the two? I remember my mom making those when I was a kid..
The fritters would be sweeter. Yellow Plantains are the sweet ones. Green taste like a root vegetable. I love platanos, they have the medicinal quality of being a mild diuretic as well.... Pashi