RebelDyke

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her/Hers...please no male ID..it's insulting
Relationship Status:
settled and content

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,574 Posts
RebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST Reputation

Articles from the Journal of Homosexuality
RebelDyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #3222
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Nothing yet. But...

I do have 3 books on hold at the library. Various book club recommendations. Hurry, the summer will be over...

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #3223
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default From Obama's Summer Read Book List

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #3224
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

Further Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.

I finished Tales of the City and More Tales of the City.

Fun reading!
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #3225
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #3226
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

With ears:
A World on Fire: Britain's Crucial Role in the American Civil War, by Amanda Foreman
Acclaimed historian Amanda Foreman follows the phenomenal success of her New York Times bestseller Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire with her long-awaited second work of nonfiction: the fascinating story of the American Civil War and the major role played by Britain and its citizens in that epic struggle.
Even before the first rumblings of secession shook the halls of Congress, British involvement in the coming schism was inevitable. Britain was dependent on the South for cotton, and in turn the Confederacy relied almost exclusively on Britain for guns, bullets, and ships. The Union sought to block any diplomacy between the two and consistently teetered on the brink of war with Britain. For four years the complex web of relationships between the countries led to defeats and victories both minute and history-making. In A World on Fire, Amanda Foreman examines the fraught relations from multiple angles while she introduces characters both humble and grand, bringing them to vivid life over the course of her sweeping and brilliant narrative.
With eyes:
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, By Becky Chambers
Life aboard the Wayfarer is chaotic and crazy—exactly what Rosemary wants. It’s also about to get extremely dangerous when the crew is offered the job of a lifetime. Tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet is definitely lucrative and will keep them comfortable for years. But risking her life wasn’t part of the plan. In the far reaches of deep space, the tiny Wayfarer crew will confront a host of unexpected mishaps and thrilling adventures that force them to depend on each other. To survive, Rosemary’s got to learn how to rely on this assortment of oddballs—an experience that teaches her about love and trust, and that having a family isn’t necessarily the worst thing in the universe.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #3227
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I went to Barnes & Noble, this afternoon, and bought two more books, which I hope are really, really good. One is from Obama's summer read list: The Nickel Boys (author: Colson Whitehead).

The other is a book called Evvie Drake Starts Over, by new author - Linda Holmes, who also is the host of an NPR pod cast -- Pop Culture Happy Hour. She also appears regularly on other NPR shows, including Weekend Edition, Before NPR, and All Things Considered.

I'm looking forward to reading both books.

_____ ______
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #3228
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,009 Times in 5,082 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

This is for a podcast from "Levar Burton Reads". This may not be quite the place for it, but it was the best I could find.

This past week he read a short story, "The Simplest Equation" by Nicky Drayden. It turns out to be an endearing little love story between two women, that involves math. It's perfect for geeky nerdish girls like myself. And it left my little heart going "waaah!" when it was over.

If you get a chance to listen, it's worth sticking around for Levar's brief epilogue at the end. The whole story is only 40 minutes long, and it's definitely worth your time if you're a math nerd, or a romantic, or both. I've mentioned before that Levar really knows how to read a story, and it's as true in this tale as ever. Search for "Levar Burton Reads" wherever you find your podcasts.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #3229
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I went to Barnes & Noble, this afternoon, and bought two more books, which I hope are really, really good. One is from Obama's summer read list: The Nickel Boys (author: Colson Whitehead).

The other is a book called Evvie Drake Starts Over, by new author - Linda Holmes, who also is the host of an NPR pod cast -- Pop Culture Happy Hour. She also appears regularly on other NPR shows, including Weekend Edition, Before NPR, and All Things Considered.

I'm looking forward to reading both books.
I've not even opened up The Nickel Boys yet, but oh my gosh, the book by Linda Holmes is really good. I hope to finish reading it, by tomorrow. I don't want to spoil this book for any other reader, but the novel broaches subjects, for example, like performative roles people perform for their own sake or for the sakes of others.

I had no idea that Holmes would write about such things in her first work of fiction, but performative roles people play is not really any type of fiction.

It's an interesting field of study, for me, due to my communication studies background in Higher Ed. Role play, whether it's intentional or not, is one way human's communicate to others in performative type ways.

I like Linda Holmes first novel for the way she uses her novel's character narrative's as a way for others to explore the obscurity behind performative role play (why people mask their behaviors, etc).

I'm only half way through the Holmes novel, but I'm giving it the best rating possible because it's an very enjoyable and interesting story to read.

_____ ______
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #3230
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I'm starting Evvie Drake Starts Over next, as soon as I finish up this post-apocalyptic police procedural The Wild Dead by Carrie Vaughn. It has been a pretty good beach read, if you like female detectives mixed with post-apocalyptic speculative fiction. The world Carrie Vaughn has created with this, the second novel in a new series, is pretty interesting. The first book in the series is Bannerless. She raises some interesting questions about morality and society's responsibilities in a world with limited resources.

- Prince
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #3231
RebelDyke

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her/Hers...please no male ID..it's insulting
Relationship Status:
settled and content

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,574 Posts
RebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST ReputationRebelDyke Has the BEST Reputation

my textbook on gifted and talented learners

very fascinating
RebelDyke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RebelDyke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #3232
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
I'm starting Evvie Drake Starts Over next, as soon as I finish up this post-apocalyptic police procedural The Wild Dead by Carrie Vaughn. It has been a pretty good beach read, if you like female detectives mixed with post-apocalyptic speculative fiction. The world Carrie Vaughn has created with this, the second novel in a new series, is pretty interesting. The first book in the series is Bannerless. She raises some interesting questions about morality and society's responsibilities in a world with limited resources.
I just put a hold on both of these titles. File under: extremely my shit
Old 09-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #3233
Jedi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
they are my world

Thanked 1,764 Times in 548 Posts
Jedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST Reputation
Default This really cool article

https://www.10tv.com/article/christi...s7I2wKXNu6_WlM
Old 09-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #3234
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

While waiting for my therapy session tonight, I read from a fairly recent issue of a magazine, they had on the table in the waiting room. Lots of amazing and very interesting articles, and even some sharp criticism of op-eds featured in prior publications, by readers themselves.

There was a main article that anchored the recent publication, which explored myths of race. Law, African-American studies and Sociology professor Dorothy Roberts presented her much studied and researched topic on why "Race is a political category that has been disguised as a biological one". The article starts out as an interview between Roberts and journalist, Mark Leviton.

The article is SO enlightening, that I can't just pick one or two quotes, plus it's an article densely populated by the many ways racism affects people of color and the intersectional dimensions of institutionalized racism across American institutions which have marginalized and hurt people of color, for way too long.

Roberts in-depth article is featured in the April 2019 edition of The Sun (pp., 4-13).

My favorite part of the magazine to read and contemplate upon is from the section toward the back, and they title of that particular section is called One Nation, Indivisible.

From the editor of The Sun: "One Nation, Indivisible" features excerpts from The Sun's archives that speak to the current political moment. You can read the full text of excerpted sections online at … www.thesunmagazine.org/onenation.

An interesting quote, from the very last page of the magazine, in the section titled: Sunbeams.

"We must never ignore the injustices that make charity necessary; or the inequalities that make it possible," ~ Michael Eric Dyson (left hand column, page 48).

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #3235
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading "I, Who Did Not Die" by Meredith May, Najah Aboud, and Zahed Haftlang

It is a rare examination of the absurdity of a war fought by children and young men who were victims of the brutal dictators they were forced to serve. This powerful tale of two men whose lives collide on the battlefield shows that acts of mercy are the ultimate triumph of compassion over hate.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 05:22 AM   #3236
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas.

"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life"
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #3237
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
I'm reading The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas.
I read that, and found it very interesting. It was not what I would call a fun read, but it was eye-opening.

I am reading _On The Beach_ by Nevil Shute, a classic 1950s post-apocalyptic novel that I have been meaning to read for a long time. People in Melbourne, Australia wait to catch radiation sickness as the fallout from a nuclear war swirls ever closer around the earth due to weather patterns. They shift back and forth from trying to live normal lives, to trying to find out what's going on in other parts of the world.

I may re-read _The Handmaid's Tale_ after this, as I just learned today that the sequel has finally come out - _The Testaments_ by Margaret Atwood. It's been a long time since I read THT, and I haven't been able to make myself pay for Hulu so I can watch the series. I remember it as pretty tough to take, and it made me angry a lot, but it was a _great_ read.

- Prince
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #3238
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
I read that, and found it very interesting. It was not what I would call a fun read, but it was eye-opening.

I am reading _On The Beach_ by Nevil Shute, a classic 1950s post-apocalyptic novel that I have been meaning to read for a long time. People in Melbourne, Australia wait to catch radiation sickness as the fallout from a nuclear war swirls ever closer around the earth due to weather patterns. They shift back and forth from trying to live normal lives, to trying to find out what's going on in other parts of the world.

I may re-read _The Handmaid's Tale_ after this, as I just learned today that the sequel has finally come out - _The Testaments_ by Margaret Atwood. It's been a long time since I read THT, and I haven't been able to make myself pay for Hulu so I can watch the series. I remember it as pretty tough to take, and it made me angry a lot, but it was a _great_ read.
Nevil Shute is quite the story teller! I liked his book A Town Called Alice. Did you know that he was an early 20th century Aeronautical Engineer by day, but in his evening hours he cultivated his writing career (sort of like a hobby, at first)? That's what a short biographical statement said about him, that he didn't want his writing (hobby) to upset his engineering career. I'll have to check out other books he's written, one day. Thanks for mentioning Nevil Shute, Georgia, in your post tonight.

I bought a used edition of Amor Towles' novel, The Rules of Civility (2011). That's what I'm reading on my train commute to work. Keeping it light, my reading materials lately.

_____ ______
Old 09-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #3239
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default *** Spoiler Alert & Trigger Alert ***

The Nickel Boys: A Novel, by Colson Whitehead
(September 2019; Doubleday, Penquin Random House Publishers, LLC).

I am nearly ready to go out for my afternoon walking activity, but wanted to leave a 'spoiler alert' for the book I'm taking with me. I bought it about a month ago, right before Labor Day Holiday. I was intrigued with the book, after Barack Obama featured it as one of the books he read this past summer.

So, without having even begun to read the book, yet having read the author's opening comments in the prologue to his novel, I want to share what Colson Whitehead wrote in the opening pages of his novel's narrative:

A Note From Colson Whitehead

"Usually, I mix it up when it comes to my books. A humorous novel might be followed by a more serious work; an omniscient, editorializing narrative voice might follow a more personal one. A long book finds its antidote in a "shortie," and an expansive one gets balanced by a more intimate story the next time out. I'll write a novel about the zombie apocalypse, and then toil over a nonfiction account about the World Series of Poker. The change in genre, tone, and structure keeps the work vital to me each time, and I'm energized by the challenge of figuring out a new way to tell a story.

Which is why I initially thought I'd follow up The Underground Railroad, a story of slavery and American history and escape, with a lively heist novel. A crime story was a nice antidote to the novel that I had just published, which had the lowest jokes-per-page count of anything I'd ever written. Who doesn't like a heist story? The planning, the execution, the inevitable disaster in the aftermath. It was quite a distance from the story of Cora and her perilous run to freedom.

But I found myself in a bit of trouble. It was the spring of 2017, and I lived in a nation divided. After the last presidential election, it was impossible to ignore the unending barrage of chaos and strife, particularly when it came to race. How to reconcile the racial progress we've made since my grandparents' generation with our current regression into bitterness, discord and rage? The optimist in me has to believe in a better future for my children, but the pessimist maintains that we have a long and troublesome path ahead, as we always have. In the story of Elwood and Turner, my two Nickel Boys, I tried to find a method to dramatize my existential quandary. I doubted that I was alone in my distress.

So no heist this time out. But a crime nonetheless.

We first meet Elwood. A straight-A student, he has come of age during a time of civil rights struggle and civil rights triumph. He imagines himself marching with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as part of the new American generation that will fix the world, demonstration by demonstration, protest by protest. Elwood gets sent to Nickel Academy through a twist of fate. He is caught at the wrong place at the wrong time, and for a young black man that can mean terrible consequences. Turner, another student at Nickel, is his opposite number. An orphan who lives by his wits, he thinks he sees the world as it actually is -- a merciless area where promises are made then broken, and hope is snuffed out by the machinery of How Things Work. In writing these boys into existence, I might give fear to my own fear and confusion, but also speak, in whatever small way I can, for the real-life survivors of the Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys, my model for the Nickel Academy.

I first came upon the report about Dozier in the summer of 2014. In the few weeks after Eric Gardner was choked to death by police on Staten Island and in the midst of the Ferguson protests. Every day, there seemed to be another terrible incident (the next few paragraphs I have omitted, to include the final paragraph, as follows).

Writing this book is one small way of bearing witness, I suppose, and discovering the boys' story is another. When I was composing The Nickel Boys, I lived in that unsettled region between hope and despair. As I contemplate how to prevent tragedies such as the one in those pages, I tumble into another, equally maddening netherworld: the one between action and de facto complicity," (Colson Whitehead, in The Nickel Boys).

Both of my sons are African-American and they haven't been in my life now for several years, but I know the heartbreaking trauma's they have suffered in life, first hand. Colson Whitehead's book will be trigger every trigger I have about how my son's have been mistreated in life.... but I'm going to read it anyway and try to keep an open mind and will look for ways I can help myself in dealing with losses my son's endure, still.

_____ ______
Old 09-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #3240
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

~~
Nothing... suggestions welcomed
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, reading