Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 03-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #41
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisfawn View Post
I've been fairly lucky with airports. I think it's because I'm always ready with my coat and shoes off, laptop and camera ready for the bin and usually with a don't-mess-with-me-I-have-no-coffee-so-I'm-looking-placidly-neutral look on my face.

I'm interested in what Corkey said about neuro stimulators... my brother is 21 with various disabilities, including epilepsy, and has a VNS. A friend came to stay with me last week, and he's taking nuclear medical technology, and he reassured me that they would pat him down. My concern is being able to stay with him, even if that means getting a pat-down myself (every time I've had a pat-down it's almost as though it didn't happen - very light touch, very respectful, open flat hands, no grabbing... my doctor gets more personal during a throat exam!)

My friend also reassured me that the amounts of radiation coming from a backscatter machine are negligible according to the recommended limit of radiation to which one should be exposed per year. Everyone has their own opinion about radiation exposure, though. Naturally I asked him all these questions because the answers are generally interesting!

I'm only wondering just because I wanted to take a flight within Canada sometime with my brother so we can visit our dad in another city. He's autistic with lots of learning disabilities, PDD and epilepsy. I just hope the pat-down doesn't freak him out and that they understand and respect that he's not exactly going to just stand there like a statue for him. I also hope that they understand that I'm in charge of not only my own effects, but of his safety, behaviour and belongings, as well.

Has anyone travelled with a special needs person? How has your treatment been at security? From the experts like Morgan, what should I keep in mind?

Thanks!
I have not traveled with a special needs person but the stories I have seen reported in the news indicate it isn't always handled well. The first one that comes to mind is an aid and a daughter traveling with a fairly out of it elderly woman in a wheel chair. TSA would not listen to the aid or the daughter and would not allow them to assist during the wheel chair screening that requires the person to adjust themselves in the seat so that TSA can check under the person, behind the person, etc. TSA even refused to allow the woman's medically necessary diet to be brought on the plane.

Then there is the man who has had his colostomy bag accidentally opened two times by TSA so that he ended up with urine all down his pants. AND this was at the same airport.

Or the people with artificial limbs being forced to remove them so they can be run through the x-ray machine.

Just two days ago, a mother attempted to bring her breast pump through security and was told she couldn't because the bottles were empty. She was told to go to the ladies room and pump. Then she would allowed to pass security with her breast pump.

AND this is not even considering those people that have been sexually abused and must tolerate being touch by someone they don't know. NO, having someone from the same sex doing it does not make it better.

Thank you for your response.

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #42
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisfawn View Post
Hi Linus,

Thanks very much! When the time comes, I'll certainly take your advice as it seems sound. It's not even travelling from Saskatoon I worry about - it's coming back through Edmonton, which is a much bigger airport. I suspect I'll have all the time in the world to sort it out both ways, though.

My brother is pretty trusting. If I say it's okay, he'll submit to a pat-down. I just don't want them abusing him or anything, because he can't tell me, so I want to supervise. This isn't to say that I think they will... it's to say that anything could happen.

I'll keep watching this thread... thanks!
As far as supervising, there have been videos of the TSA forming a wall between the person being patted down and the person attempting to supervise.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #43
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

definitely talk to the airline - they can sometimes provide someone to go with you through security (which in my experience tends to take some of the pressure off in terms of advocating for yourself/your brother).
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #44
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

it costs extra money and may not be cheap but some airports have greeter services and that might help get through security easier. The greeters themselves have clearance. They may also be able to answer some of your concerns.

I personally will do what I can do to avoid pat downs. People were respective of me to the degree of privacy however they were pretty rough physically the two times i've had them use a wand on me. Granted my body at that time was real sensitive. But it was to the point that if I am ever in a wheel chair a gain if I can take the 10 steps to get through the screener i'll do that over the pat down.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #45
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I get pulled out of the line for additional security checks nearly every time I fly. Even when I didn't set off the metal detector, I have often been asked to step out of the line to be wanded. One male TSA agent started to wand me before getting a better look at me, and called out, "Need a wand check for a female over here!" Another male TSA never noticed, or didn't bother to get a female TSA agent.

Even with the backscatter scans, I get pulled out and patted down. I've never felt inappropriately touched or treated less than professionally. But the frequency of searches does suggest that it's not entirely random. My ex-gf and I traveled together a lot, and since she never got pulled, it was all the more obvious that it was specific to me. It made her angry that the TSA is targeting butches as if we're terrorists, but it kind of amuses me. I'll admit here that I'm usually the last to notice homophobia directed at me, and when I do, I see it as their problem, not mine.

Oh, and I've had my palms swiped with a piece of paper that was fed into a machine that checks for trace explosives. On three different trips.

The irony here is that I'm a U.S. federal employee (Health and Human Services, not Homeland Security). I've been thoroughly documented and verified by dozens of government checks as a routine part of my job, and use radio-chip card keys and biometric readers (fingerprint scans) just to access my office. I'm used to government scrutiny and as long as it's done professionally, I take it in stride.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #46
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Im flying out of sherveport to go to the reunion this year,I do hope I dont have a prob with the tsa folks,I wear short hair,my voice is deeper than most men's are and I shure wont be dressed in anything that resembles womens clothes.I do know that the tsa folks use a walk thrue scaner and have a wand,beond that I have no clue since its been several years since ive been to the ariport.I will be bringing my pro air inhaler with me on my persons the rest of my meds can go in my checked bag,I hope they dont get lost cause I must take them 2X a day.I will also be bringing pain paches for my back and if needed be wearing one.I wish I didnt have to fly but it will work out best for me.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #47
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

I have never had any problems in regard to my gender identity and have never been pulled out for any special screening, my id is female and i don't match that gender id at all ... all my pat downs were when i was in a wheel chair and the one time i made a mistake and wore overalls and the metal set off the detector. I had a cane and the person actually was hitting me with the wand in my back.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #48
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Anyone else care to share their thoughts?
As a generalisation, my experience of security checks through US airports has been worse than elsewhere (Europe / Asia). This is because, in my experience, there's more chance of being taken aside and, more importantly, the attitude of the officials has tended to be more formal and more stilted than the attitude of officials in other countries.

I'm not sure why but the new bodyscanners have thrown up particular problems for me. Anytime I need to go through one of these machines, I'm invariably pulled aside. Twice in the past six months I've had what I would perceive to be rather intrusive "pat down" of my buttocks region .. I may appreciate this in other circumstances but not at an airport.

No doubt I don't make things easy for myself - I don't do small talk with most folk, let alone TSA officials, I don't smile or act in a deferential manner and I wouldn't attempt to joke or be sarcastic with them as they'd likely not understand.

All-in-all, I'm not a fan. On my trips to the US, it's another reason for me to regret the lack of good rail travel !
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #49
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Im flying out of sherveport to go to the reunion this year,I do hope I dont have a prob with the tsa folks,I wear short hair,my voice is deeper than most men's are and I shure wont be dressed in anything that resembles womens clothes.I do know that the tsa folks use a walk thrue scaner and have a wand,beond that I have no clue since its been several years since ive been to the ariport.I will be bringing my pro air inhaler with me on my persons the rest of my meds can go in my checked bag,I hope they dont get lost cause I must take them 2X a day.I will also be bringing pain paches for my back and if needed be wearing one.I wish I didnt have to fly but it will work out best for me.
You should never put your meds in your checked baggage. NEVER!! Place them in your carry-on to insure you have them the next time you need them. Even the airlines suggest this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #50
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
As a generalisation, my experience of security checks through US airports has been worse than elsewhere (Europe / Asia). This is because, in my experience, there's more chance of being taken aside and, more importantly, the attitude of the officials has tended to be more formal and more stilted than the attitude of officials in other countries.

I'm not sure why but the new bodyscanners have thrown up particular problems for me. Anytime I need to go through one of these machines, I'm invariably pulled aside. Twice in the past six months I've had what I would perceive to be rather intrusive "pat down" of my buttocks region .. I may appreciate this in other circumstances but not at an airport.

No doubt I don't make things easy for myself - I don't do small talk with most folk, let alone TSA officials, I don't smile or act in a deferential manner and I wouldn't attempt to joke or be sarcastic with them as they'd likely not understand.

All-in-all, I'm not a fan. On my trips to the US, it's another reason for me to regret the lack of good rail travel !
Thank you for responding.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #51
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
I get pulled out of the line for additional security checks nearly every time I fly. Even when I didn't set off the metal detector, I have often been asked to step out of the line to be wanded. One male TSA agent started to wand me before getting a better look at me, and called out, "Need a wand check for a female over here!" Another male TSA never noticed, or didn't bother to get a female TSA agent.

Even with the backscatter scans, I get pulled out and patted down. I've never felt inappropriately touched or treated less than professionally. But the frequency of searches does suggest that it's not entirely random. My ex-gf and I traveled together a lot, and since she never got pulled, it was all the more obvious that it was specific to me. It made her angry that the TSA is targeting butches as if we're terrorists, but it kind of amuses me. I'll admit here that I'm usually the last to notice homophobia directed at me, and when I do, I see it as their problem, not mine.

Oh, and I've had my palms swiped with a piece of paper that was fed into a machine that checks for trace explosives. On three different trips.

The irony here is that I'm a U.S. federal employee (Health and Human Services, not Homeland Security). I've been thoroughly documented and verified by dozens of government checks as a routine part of my job, and use radio-chip card keys and biometric readers (fingerprint scans) just to access my office. I'm used to government scrutiny and as long as it's done professionally, I take it in stride.
Thank you for your input.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #52
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oopster View Post
I have never had any problems in regard to my gender identity and have never been pulled out for any special screening, my id is female and i don't match that gender id at all ... all my pat downs were when i was in a wheel chair and the one time i made a mistake and wore overalls and the metal set off the detector. I had a cane and the person actually was hitting me with the wand in my back.
Did you feel the hitting you with the wand in your back was retaliatory or accidental? Did you say something to the agent or report the incident up the chain of TSA?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #53
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

E and I will be flying together for the first time, Thursday.

I shall post about the experience, after.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #54
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Did you feel the hitting you with the wand in your back was retaliatory or accidental? Did you say something to the agent or report the incident up the chain of TSA?
I would say neither retaliatory or accidental but more apathetic. The first time would have been accidental but when I repeatedly asked the person to be gentle because i have a bad back and she is hurting me they kept whacking it up against me. I did tell someone but as far as I know no report was filled out at frankly I wasn't feeling well enough that i wanted to stick around for one.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #55
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Here is an interesting prospective from a retired FBI agent regarding TSA:

http://gmancasefile.blogspot.com/2012/01/tsa-fail.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #56
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

When I fly to LR I may well be useing my cane to walk with,its a metal one with a silver handle,it's a hollow metal rod and has a heavy duity rubber tip for good floor grip.The handle is solidly fixed but the rubber tip is on tightly but with enough pulling can be gotten off.What should I do about that issue or will there be an issue?
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #57
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

I have no personal experience with TSA and a cane but I have read of others experience on another forum. The postings indicated TSA would ask you to walk through the WTMD or the Backscatter without your cane, while they run it through the x-ray machine. Someone did say one airport had a loner wood cane for her to get through the machines.

Hopefully the airports you will be using have a procedure that works for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #58
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Good work TSA! /end sarcasm

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/new_jfk_security_breach_PB8L58gzpwjmyqktLHRssN#ixz z1oBpt6RBZ

Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #59
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

How to get anything through TSA nude body scanners

Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #60
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Suggestions to improve TSA. I don't agree with the entire article but an improvement is an improvement....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-03-06/tsa-airport-security-screening/53388320/1