Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Sochi Winter Olympics

Unfair Play For Gays?

How can a country with anti-gay laws and hostile views host an international event and claim there won't be discrimination? The IOC has already openly-criticized gays and lesbians from the US delegation prior to this story. Putin talks out of both ends his ass in the following.

I didn't feel good the moment they announced that Sochi would host the games for security reasons and now this. My fingers are crossed that the games take place without an international incident.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

IOC's Pescante accuses US of being political by allowing gay delegation

Here's the story which ran prior to the Putin interview.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

You don't set an international stage for a major event by openly criticizing people. How stupid can you be? This is supposed to be about sports and athletics, not people's sexual orientation. Sochi gets off to an early controversial start.

These are pre-Olympic news stories. Please feel free to post any Olympic stories you find interesting here. I hope the USA shines through this year!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

I lost interest in the Olympics a couple of decades ago (at least).

Aside from offering an outrageously expensive stage for a few hundred very elite athletes I fail to see any benefit here. The entire enterprise seems corrupt on just about every level: crass commercial exploitation; lachrymose chauvinism; nationalistic propaganda; demagogic denials of gross human rights violation; spotlight opportunities for terrorists of every stripe. If someone can list any real benefits that outweigh all that, I'd be interested

So, so many better ways to spend all that money and promote athleticism. This thing is now way too far off the rails to even try rehabilitation. Dump the whole thing. Redirect resources to local, regional programs and competitions. Kids will still participate, still compete, still love sports even if the medal round their neck comes from Joe's Auto Parts, Main Street.
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

My apologies. I'm a very slow typist and I started and entered before Jet explained in a second post that this thread was for news stories.
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
Aside from offering an outrageously expensive stage for a few hundred very elite athletes I fail to see any benefit here. The entire enterprise seems corrupt on just about every level: crass commercial exploitation; lachrymose chauvinism; nationalistic propaganda; demagogic denials of gross human rights violation; spotlight opportunities for terrorists of every stripe. If someone can list any real benefits that outweigh all that, I'd be interested

So, so many better ways to spend all that money and promote athleticism. This thing is now way too far off the rails to even try rehabilitation. Dump the whole thing. Redirect resources to local, regional programs and competitions. Kids will still participate, still compete, still love sports even if the medal round their neck comes from Joe's Auto Parts, Main Street.
________
My apologies. I'm a very slow typist and I started and entered before Jet explained in a second post that this thread was for news stories.
Gee, Collette, tell us how you really feel. LOL Just kidding. This thread is for news stories and comments for anyone who keeps up or is interested in the games, whether you like the Olympics or not.
Thanks for sharing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Terror Threats at Sochi Dent Ticket Sales

American participation declines amid threats coupled with Russia's anti-gay laws

This is the 5th story, approx 19 minutes in this newscast from CBS news on 1/19/14:

Ticket sales to the Sochi Olympics have taken a hit, especially among Americans, amid security threats made by terrorist groups who've vowed to attack the Games, as well as the remoteness of its location.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/1-19-b...terror-threat/
Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.hrw.org/russias-olympian-abuses
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Good article.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 AM   #10
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I have no clue why they would have an Olympics in Russia to start with,the place has more problems than anyone can count,not to mention the political issues that have been in the news as well as much more.I just pray for the safety of the people who go there.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Black Widow

Urgent Search for 'Black Widow' Suicide Bomber, May Be Already in Sochi

This report from ABC of a terrorist they are tracking. I'm sure many of you may have seen this. If not, here's the latest:

http://news.yahoo.com/urgent-search-...opstories.html
Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default America Strikes First

US Strikes, Gains Golds
\ http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/american-wins-gold-medal-on-day-1-of-sochi-games/
Old 02-20-2014, 03:25 AM   #13
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I'm a Yuna Kim fan. She's won me over in Figure Skating. Here is Nancy Kerrigan's take on this beautiful skater.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/nan...lympic-journey