Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #981
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"The Handwriting Is On The Wall"................

Figuratively, the expression means that some misfortune is impending.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #982
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"Be Careful What You Wish For, You Might Just get It"........

If you get things that you desire, there may be unforeseen and unpleasant consequences. The desired outcome may not be as desirable once it has been attained.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #983
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Laugh, And The World Laughs With You; Weep, And You Weep Alone"...

People prefer cheerfulness in others. A person who is cheerful will have company, but someone who is gloomy will often be alone.

Sidebar: Ella Wheeler Wilcox, a poet of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, is the author of this saying.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #984
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post

If you get things that you desire, there may be unforeseen and unpleasant consequences. The desired outcome may not be as desirable once it has been attained.
Sidebar: I once wished I was single, look how that turned out for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #985
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
vibing

Thanked 21,373 Times in 6,723 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I know this is a repeat but i need to say this (under my breath)-if it quacks like a and walks like a ---it's a duck j/s
Old 10-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #986
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
I know this is a repeat but i have to say it-if it quacks like a :ducky: and walks like a :ducky:---it's a duck don't make excuses for it!

The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #987
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,996 Times in 9,940 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Quote:

I dunno, homoe..... I can see how people might assume this meaning to be true, but I always try to see the positive side of things like this! I mean, what if you got what you wished for and it was more awesome than you thought possible? Yanno?

Quote:
"Laugh, And The World Laughs With You; Weep, And You Weep Alone"...

People prefer cheerfulness in others. A person who is cheerful will have company, but someone who is gloomy will often be alone.

Sidebar: Ella Wheeler Wilcox, a poet of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, is the author of this saying.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox is an very favorite author and poet. She's simply got a very special lens by which her prose and poetry comes forth. I really enjoy her works of literature and appreciate her wisdom...

Quote:
This is exactly what I do when I see really bad ideas.....
The goodness in the world has no room to flourish if we don't actively weed out the proverbial bad stuff that holds us back or prevents us from truly embracing healthy positive sets of ideas!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #988
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
"Opposites Attract"...............

Meaning people who are very different from each other are often attracted to each other.

I can ONLY speak for myself but for me this is VERY true!
I think this is mostly true, too.... plus I really like this saying.

I think variety is the spice of life and that opposites tend to gravitate toward each other because of their own spice or scent, which seems soooo Intriguing....
Old 10-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #989
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

....Some things are better left unsaid.....

Most nearly always people presume this statement to have an additional hidden meaning, that you shouldn't verbalize thoughts that could land you in trouble.

And while I agree with the generally accepted meaning behind this phrase, I use the phrase slightly differently:

When I use this phrase it's because I think there are things that truly are better left unsaid. I tend to favor statements that stand on their own with no hidden hurtful meaning!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #990
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

it's written all over your face

This expression is typically believed to be true, in that most always your inner feelings and emotions with manifest in non-verbal ways....in unmistakable ways.

That's what the study of nonverbal communication is primarily about....the study of nonverbal cues showing up in the environment as Body Language or in other physical forms, such as written text, style of writing, or any other number of 'bread crumbs' left behind in the proverbial 'scene of the crime'.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 AM   #991
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Bend Over Backwards......................

To exert a lot of effort towards some end. This phrase is often used to express frustration when one's efforts go unrecognized.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:20 AM   #992
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Head Over Heels"...........................

Completely, thoroughly.

Sidebar: This expression originated in the 1300s as heels over head and meant literally being upside down. It took its present form in the 1700s and its present meaning in the 1800s.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #993
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Fly By The Seat Of Your Pants................

To rely on one's instinct, as opposed to acting according to a set plan. If you fly by the seat of your pants, you use your judgment and intelligence to do something that you have never done before, in a way that is risky, because you have no experience or training to rely on.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:27 AM   #994
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"If It Looks Like A Duck And Walks Like A Duck, It Is A Duck"......

If something has all the characteristics of a thing, it is probably that thing, regardless of what it is called or presented as.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:38 AM   #995
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"On The Straight And Narrow".................

If someone or something keeps you on the straight and narrow, they help you to live a good, honest life and prevent you from doing immoral or illegal things
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #996
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Not Playing With A Full Deck......."

When someone is not playing with a full deck, he/she is either mentally, psychologically or intellectually deficient. The deck referenced in not playing with a full deck is a deck of cards.

Sidebar:There is a popular story that the origin of this phrase dates back to the 1500s, when a tax was levied against decks of cards.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #997
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Oh mY, You've been banging those Wonder Woman bracelets of yours, again! It's like you read my mind, posting all these great idioms! Well done, well done!

I like it very much when you explain how certain idioms came into existence....im.always fascinated by this kind of stuff.

Baseball was a great venue for the spread of idioms, right?

<<<<<~~ homoe deserves a big prize for hir herculean efforts to help me list all these sayings (idioms)!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #998
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Chasing Your Tail"....................

To chase your tail means to spend a lot of time and energy doing a lot of things but achieving very little. To take action that is ineffectual and does not lead to progress.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #999
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

To Cast One's Bread Upon The Water

To act in generous ways because it's the right thing to do, and not because you think you'll earn an reward. To be generous, kind and loving in the face of opposition, because it's the right thing to do.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #1000
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

The best thing since sliced bread

Otto Rohwedder devised a machine to.sluce bread, back in 1928, which revolutionized the way bread was wrapped and marketed as an service product of convenience. And because of this turn of events, which was an welcome feat of convenience in modern inventions of the early 20th century, people coined the phrase to carry broader meaning for depth and appreciation for ease of consumption or ease of delivery which soon became an catch-phrase to describe ease and enjoyment of quality relationships. (Source: wikipedia).
Closed Thread