Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #6801
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,685 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Here is my "spin" (dle) on things....pun intended..lol

I liked when we each made the matchboxes how we wanted, rather than "filling" them....to me, that isn't so much "art"....just thinking out loud here...I am a wee bit confused here...

If ten or twelve folks make a list of things they like etc....then do we not still have to buy those 10 0r 12 things specific for each person?......

I am hopelessly lost here...sorry....
Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #6802
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,144 Times in 5,124 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
This is great! I didn't know you could buy matchboxes just for crafting. But suppose I were to get the regular ones, with matches inside, from the grocery store. I expect I would have to remove the striker paper (and the matches). But is it better to use the ones made specifically for crafts? Or does it really matter?

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #6803
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,144 Times in 5,124 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

If we went as high as 12 people signing up, I would want extra time to work on these. Especially since I have never done them before! But it sounds intriguing . . .

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #6804
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

Okay... here is my weigh in on this project. I love it, I prefer to make them my way putting my own spin on, I am not concerned about how many people sign up, just that if we have more than 8 interested then perhaps add a couple extra weeks (6 weeks turn around?) As far as what to put in them, I would like that to be up to each person whether they want to or not.. I think that the are little pieces of art all on their own. I wouldn't be expecting anything.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #6805
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,774 Times in 25,658 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
A box or envelope is fine by me. I ditto'ed the use of the small flat rate box from USPS for a few reasons... the postage is just 'bout $7 ... and... the box is free... and... a box stands up better to being handled by our beloved USPS... and... a box can't be folded and/or shoved into a mail box.

Sending extra dough is great... but... I have a sense that the extra sent may not always extend sufficiently to cover the extra postage and the extra packaging for all of the participants. Larger, heavier or oddly shaped pieces means postage and packaging on all the packages is increased.

If we don't want to create any max/min standards at this time, that's cool! The points I mention above are clearly on my mind right now! If for no other reason, I'm glad I was wrangler on this twinchie project so no one else had to deal with my getting carried away! lol

You are right; sometimes what is sent does not cover the full costs. I've eaten it a few times over the years, but we're not in it to get rich. If we are, I'm totally doing it wrong.

A pro for the flat rate shipping boxes is that it doesn't cost anything other than crumpled paper or bubble wrap and some tape. I tend to buy padded envelopes in bulk packages so the cost is minimal for me overall. I also work in an office that gets shipping supplies in from other shipments so I can 'requisition' them for my purposes. I know not everyone is that lucky.

We've not had issues with packaging except for the occasional blip now and again. It's usually due to the artist not packaging it properly but sometimes the mail service does get a little rough. I just try to plan for the worst and hope for the best. And always get a tracking number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
My personal vote is for Nanners original idea. I think that if people are giving a list of 10 things and the goal is to Focus on a theme of one or more, then that really doesn’t involve buying anything special necessarily. I also think they can still be filled, it would just take some creative interpretation and spins. It’s so cool to have a piece of art that is made in light of what we specifically enjoy!
I agree!

If someone lists 10 things that they enjoy/love/adore/etc, there are a plethora of ways each item/thing can be determined.

If nan says she likes purple and cats, I could hunt for a tiny purple cat, I can draw a wacky purple cat or I can cut out purple paper in the shape-ish of a cat.

If ccb says she loves glitter and vintage stuff, I could find a vintage picture online and coat it with a glitter glue or I could find a sparkly vintage sticker or I could draw something appropriate-ish.....'ish' because of my drawing capabilities...and then sprinkle it with glitter and seal it or I could find a shiny, happy, vintage-y charm and put in inside the box.

If clay says beach and sunshine and quirky trinkets, I could include a fun tiny flip flop or draw one or do a beach themed box with flip flop or beach ball cut outs.

If I say unicorns and fuzzy things, someone could take fuzzy, soft yarn and create a unicorn-ish shaped creature and glue it down.

One reason I love nan's idea so much is that it's soooo open to interpretation and doesn't demand high level crafting skills, which I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
12 seems like a lot to me, personally. I'm not sure I could make 12 matchboxes doable. But I'll wait and see what others think.

I really like the idea of having them tailored to our specific interests the more I think about it. Good idea nanners! I can see that there are creative ways to fill the boxes now, though I will probably still end up buying stuff lol!
We could split the difference and say a cap of 11. 11 is lucky say the Chinese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
Here is my "spin" (dle) on things....pun intended..lol

I liked when we each made the matchboxes how we wanted, rather than "filling" them....to me, that isn't so much "art"....just thinking out loud here...I am a wee bit confused here...

If ten or twelve folks make a list of things they like etc....then do we not still have to buy those 10 0r 12 things specific for each person?......

I am hopelessly lost here...sorry....
We wouldn't have to buy anything except the boxes (and not those if you already have them!). You can paint, sculpt or mold clay or you could buy tiny fun things and bits. You could do a mixture of both.

When we did the matchboxes one time, nyc said she liked fun burgers so I got some Playdoh and created a 'burger' for her with lettuce and tomato and everything. That went inside the box. It didn't 'fill' it but was inside of it and went with the stickers I put inside.

One of the ones I did had a mermaid on the outside of the box and her dwelling, with netting and seashells, etc inside.

I also did one that was strictly paint and stickers and some yarn, I think.

Nan was suggesting we leave it up to the person to choose out of the 10 (or whatever) items and we get to choose how we interpret the use of those items and how we incorporate them into the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
This is great! I didn't know you could buy matchboxes just for crafting. But suppose I were to get the regular ones, with matches inside, from the grocery store. I expect I would have to remove the striker paper (and the matches). But is it better to use the ones made specifically for crafts? Or does it really matter?
You can absolutely use the ones off the shelf. You could paint over the strip or incorporate it or scrape it off. Your choice. It is definitely recommended that the matches go elsewhere...unless someone says they are super into matches.

Also, size would be paramount. There are two main sizes and they make all the difference in terms of difficulty and cost. I'd suggest we go with the smaller size.

I appreciate you, clay. If everyone else wants to do this project and is okay with me wrangling, I'd be happy to do so. If someone else is ready and hasn't done it in a while, I'd be happy to participate too. It's been a while since I did a matchbox project.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 02-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #6806
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,720 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I like the lucky Chinese 11 (definitely with some extra time thrown in since each one is specialized!).

I would like if we could just do matchbox size of our choice, meaning as long as they are normal matchbox size (the kind that are a little bigger or smaller). I like that because sometimes I order them and just chose the best deal. I'd prefer not to have to worry about size as long as they are matchboxes Perhaps include a little extra money if on the larger vs. smaller side?

Anyway, I'm super psyched about this project and appreciate Gemme volunteering to wrangle! I literally have that burger matchbox that she made me within arms' reach as I write this! Yes, that's how fun it was to get something that was exactly what I love!

Newbies, please do join! You will really enjoy this, and there are a lot of examples on the web. I agree with one having a choice to do stuffed or nonstuffed. Whatever floats someone's boat!

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #6807
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,098 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

I like all this. I think as long as the matchboxes are close to the smaller standard size. There's a MUCH larger size box matches come in and I think that is what Gemme was trying to avoid.

11 still seems like a lot to me but I'll try to relax. When should our due date be?

It was really fun to get matchboxes to our specifications! I still have all my mermaid boxes.

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #6808
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

This is the matchbox size I want to use: 2-1/4" long an 1-3/8" wide and 3/8" deep. And am willing to pay extra if this is a big matchbox, lol.

How do I... ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #6809
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I like all this. I think as long as the matchboxes are close to the smaller standard size. There's a MUCH larger size box matches come in and I think that is what Gemme was trying to avoid.

11 still seems like a lot to me but I'll try to relax. When should our due date be?

It was really fun to get matchboxes to our specifications! I still have all my mermaid boxes.
Yes, exactly. That's what I meant. Boxes actually come in a lot of sizes if you look creatively, so I'd keep it to 3 inches long, max. The ones we did before are 2 inches and change, I believe.

I would suggest details in full by this Saturday at the latest, final sign up date 2/24/18, due date April 7th and final deadline April 14th. Now, if we get a smaller list, we can either leave those dates or move it up a week.

Does that sound reasonable or do you think another week would be helpful?

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #6810
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

The reason I want to use this size is because (blush) I already impulsively ordered them. EEP! I'm outta control!

How do I... ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #6811
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
The reason I want to use this size is because (blush) I already impulsively ordered them. EEP! I'm outta control!
That size would be perfect!

I love your excitement.

Now, I'm off to la la land, as I just spent the last 40 minutes on the phone with a tech and now we've switched my security and I won't be charged for the initial one (couldn't remove cc information) until 2079.

I think I'm good.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #6812
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

P.S. Oriental trading sells match boxes super cheap but I've used them before and wasn't crazy about them. I went for Etsy this time.

How do I... ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #6813
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,685 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Yes to ALL the last few posts. Go for it, gemme!
Can you PLEASE sign me up when you post the signups? I can't ever get it to work....my dumb computer...maybe I ought to SPINDLE it..lol

Thanks. This is going to be so much funz!!!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #6814
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,499 Times in 3,157 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Last time I bought matchboxes, I purchased them at the dollar store.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #6815
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Yes, exactly. That's what I meant. Boxes actually come in a lot of sizes if you look creatively, so I'd keep it to 3 inches long, max. The ones we did before are 2 inches and change, I believe.

I would suggest details in full by this Saturday at the latest, final sign up date 2/24/18, due date April 7th and final deadline April 14th. Now, if we get a smaller list, we can either leave those dates or move it up a week.

Does that sound reasonable or do you think another week would be helpful?
I'd like another week, please. *innocent look*

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:40 AM   #6816
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
I'd like another week, please. *innocent look*
I'd be amenable to that.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #6817
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Quote:
I'd be amenable to that.
Thank you!!!

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #6818
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,499 Times in 3,157 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I still haven't received anything from the recent craft exchange so I'll check with the front office later today. We're supposed to get a notice in our mailbox when something is being held for us, but sometimes they're better about leaving slips than others. Hopefully they'll be there, it sounds like this time it was a really good round and I can't wait to see what everyone has sent.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #6819
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Oh thank God... the address I used is correct! Same as the one from which I just got a Valentine. Phew!

I'll go through the tracking receipts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSignFemme View Post
I still haven't received anything from the recent craft exchange so I'll check with the front office later today. We're supposed to get a notice in our mailbox when something is being held for us, but sometimes they're better about leaving slips than others. Hopefully they'll be there, it sounds like this time it was a really good round and I can't wait to see what everyone has sent.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #6820
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

It says delivered on Monday, 12th. I'll PM you the tracking number.

USPS site reads....

February 12, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Delivered, Front Desk/Reception
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:

Tags
artists, creative types