Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 10-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #201
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,099 Times in 8,593 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Bliss View Post
I made chicken soup the other day... planned to serve it with rice for Roomie .. I don't like it with rice. Makes it all starchy ick. Well anyhoo, I had put turmeric in it, added powdered green Chili (hot). Omg.... so good!!! Will do it again next time!

I love my own cooking!!
I love my homemade chicken soup, too ... just love it. I keep some in the freezer at all times. I can always pull out a container for dinner or lunch when I don't want to cook. I only have chicken and veggies in mine, then I can add avocado, cumin, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, or maybe some greens (kale or collards) depending on what I have on hand.

I bake my chicken using lots of herbs, then I boil the bones for a few hours, and I add the chicken and veggies toward the end after I remove the bones. I let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next day I scrape off most of the fat then freeze it.

I'll try the turmeric and green chili power—thanks for the tip, SweetB.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #202
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

I have a bean question Jesse.

I know that ACV is used in cooking grains.... but what about soaking/cooking beans? I'm craving garbanzo beans. Should I soaking them with ACV added to the water? Making hummus later with them. Not all of course.

Moderation

I have the Nourlshing Traditions on my table right now. Not having much luck figuring it out. Page number ? Will Bing it shortly.

Thanks. I wish you would start a blog. Or invite all of us to visit and have a food prep conference. Sigh.
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #203
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

About ACV--

the link talks about adding acv to beans-- you can use baking soda too, or lemon juice.
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #204
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I know that some people add 2 tablespoons of ACV, or lemon juice, (either one works) when they have their beans on for a long soak. The consensus seems to be that soaking them up to 48 hours and allowing them to ferment a bit gets rid of more of the scum this is full of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. From what I have read, doing this and repeatedly rinsing the beans in between soaks stops the digestion problems generally associated with eating beans.

As for me? I soak my beans in hot water over night, rinse really well, then cover with water and bring to a rolling boil and add a healthy sized pinch of baking soda and stir well. I skim off any bean scum, add in seasoning and garlic, top with a lid and simmer until done.

Thank you for the compliments, but I fear I fail miserably when it comes to a lot of this stuff.

Try this website, they are cooking all of the recipes from The Nourishing Traditions cookbook. http://thenourishingcook.com/phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors
phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors

Quote:
I have a bean question Jesse.

I know that ACV is used in cooking grains.... but what about soaking/cooking beans? I'm craving garbanzo beans. Should I soaking them with ACV added to the water? Making hummus later with them. Not all of course.

Moderation

I have the Nourlshing Traditions on my table right now. Not having much luck figuring it out. Page number ? Will Bing it shortly.

Thanks. I wish you would start a blog. Or invite all of us to visit and have a food prep conference. Sigh.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #205
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Oh and talking about homemade broths-- I love bone broth. Anyone else?

My last batch was made out of chicken feet-- they work wonders for the gelatin part. I normally just add feet, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and water in the crock-- cook for 24 hours. Its awesome.

I'll do the same for beef bones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #206
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I love bone broth, plus it's really healthy for you.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #207
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
Oh and talking about homemade broths-- I love bone broth. Anyone else?

My last batch was made out of chicken feet-- they work wonders for the gelatin part. I normally just add feet, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and water in the crock-- cook for 24 hours. Its awesome.

I'll do the same for beef bones.
Thank you AHK for the link. I followed the direction for legumes. Got my garbanzos started.

Should be ready to cook tomorrow evening or late afternoon.

Oh, and was reading today about making broth... was thinking I could give it to my pets also... they all love chicken ... next time the Roomie invites me too a shrimp boil I'm gonna bring gallon ziplock bags for the left overs!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #208
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Pumpkin Muffins
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy Servings: 12 muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Bake at: 400F for 12 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean

• 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice/nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 6 eggs (or 4 whole eggs and 2 whites...a good way to use up your egg whites)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 3/8 cup maple syrup (about 3 1/2 oz)
  • pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnut pieces
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
Sift together coconut flour and spices together.
Whisk remaining ingredients together (except walnuts) in a separate bowl until well mixed.
With a wooden spoon or whisk stir the flour mixture gradually into the pumpkin mixture so that no lumps remain.
Divide batter between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Bake for 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over bake as the flour can burn easily. Frost with icing once cool (optional).
Cream Cheese Icing
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients together into a small bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until well mixed and light and fluffy.

I copied this recipe from Tropical Traditions where I buy my coconut from. I haven't tried it yet but will soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #209
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

What kind of coconut do you purchase from them? We purchased some oil -- a bit back, and it tasted just like all the others.

The recipe- sounds good. My thing is-- I've made about 2 batches of "pumpkin" muffins, but feel 1/2 cup of pumpkin is just NOT enough. So why do most recipes only call for small amounts? Do you think if I added more pumpkin, that I would have to use less eggs? Any suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #210
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I buy the certified organic extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil, and I buy my coconut in bulk and get the certified organic chips or shredded whichever has a sale on usually.

Do you not like the taste of the coconut oil or is there something else?

As for changing the recipe I'm not sure what to tell you except experiment and see what works best for you. I don't think you will be able to get away with using less eggs if you are going to use coconut flour as the sole flour. Generally speaking with coconut flour you want the amount of flour and the liquid or wet item to be about the same in proportion so that things are moist but still light enough to rise. In this case, the pumpkin puree is the wet item and as you can see it is in the same proportion as the flour. You can try adding more but I am guessing it will make a too thin batter...but I am also a strong believer in adjusting recipes to suit one's personal tastes, so give it a try and let us know how they turn out. You might even try adding a little pumpkin extract.

I am not a fan of canned pumpkin, so I am going to buy a small pumpkin since they are in season and make the puree myself. I am thinking that will be more flavorful? What do you think?

Quote:
What kind of coconut do you purchase from them? We purchased some oil -- a bit back, and it tasted just like all the others.

The recipe- sounds good. My thing is-- I've made about 2 batches of "pumpkin" muffins, but feel 1/2 cup of pumpkin is just NOT enough. So why do most recipes only call for small amounts? Do you think if I added more pumpkin, that I would have to use less eggs? Any suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #211
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Oh I love the taste of coconut-- I just couldn't tell the difference between their oil to the one I purchase. I guess I'd have to compare prices--

Yes, I love fresh pumpkin-- actually bought 7 sugar pumpkins yesterday, going to roast them up and freeze it for later cookings. I figured you were going to say something along the word "experiment" --
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #212
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Oh okay, got it. I buy there because I want the (gold Label)certified organic expeller oil when I can afford it, or the (Green Label) cold pressed oil as a second choice when I can't. I buy a few other organics from them as well and always try to buy on a sale, so it's worth it to me.

Hey that roasted pumpkin will make a great puree for muffins!

Quote:
Oh I love the taste of coconut-- I just couldn't tell the difference between their oil to the one I purchase. I guess I'd have to compare prices--

Yes, I love fresh pumpkin-- actually bought 7 sugar pumpkins yesterday, going to roast them up and freeze it for later cookings. I figured you were going to say something along the word "experiment" --
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #213
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

What is the difference between the 2 labels?

So curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #214
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

The gold label oil is expelled the old fashioned way with no machinery or processing. The green label is cold pressed with machinery but no further processing is done to it. This is according to their info on the website.

Quote:
What is the difference between the 2 labels?

So curious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #215
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Found this recipe here:

Crispy Cauliflower Buffalo Wings

NOTES

I served my bites with a quick combination of Greek yogurt, lemon, and chives, but feel free to serve yours with your favorite dip.

INGREDIENTS

1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour 1/2 cup water 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon melted butter or ghee 2/3 cup hot sauce

DIRECTIONS

Source: Calorie Count

INFORMATION

Category: Main Dishes Yield: 4 servings

NUTRITION

Calories per serving: 117

Preheat oven to 450ºF. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, water, garlic powder, and salt. Whisk together until smooth. 1

Toss cauliflower into garbanzo batter, making sure to coat each piece completely, then place battered cauliflower on a lightly greased, nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, tossing halfway through.

In the meantime, combine melted butter and hot sauce in a large bowl, regularly stirring. When cauliflower is done, remove it from the oven and gently toss it in the hot sauce mixture. Place cauliflower back on the baking sheet and cook for an additional 25 minutes until it becomes crispy. Allow cauliflower to cool for 15
Old 11-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #216
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Sounds good Sweet Bliss, but would probably work better for this particular thread if the garbanzo bean flour is substituted with almond or coconut flour.
Half a cup of garbanzo bean flour is 53 grams of carbs, which is really high, especially for a low carb eating plan. As an example, most folks who eat Paleo/Primal i.e., high protein/low carbs, try to limit their daily intake of carbs to somewhere between 20 and 100. Most I know aim for around 30 or 40 as their daily max of carbs.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #217
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Sounds good Sweet Bliss, but would probably work better for this particular thread if the garbanzo bean flour is substituted with almond or coconut flour.
Half a cup of garbanzo bean flour is 53 grams of carbs, which is really high, especially for a low carb eating plan. As an example, most folks who eat Paleo/Primal i.e., high protein/low carbs, try to limit their daily intake of carbs to somewhere between 20 and 100. Most I know aim for around 30 or 40 as their daily max of carbs.
Thank you Jesse! Omg I had no idea! That is way too high. My diabetes would not be able to deal. Was thinking it would be low Cal vegan alternative for chicken. I would not go to all this trouble .... too lazy! Lol
Old 11-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #218
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

These are awesome!!

MMMM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #219
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Found that recipe on Pinterest, went back to get link and could not find it...
Will look again. The original website had all kinds of good recipes. Geez I need a computer.

My apologies for sloppy post.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #220
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Oh no problem Sweet Bliss. I just wasn't sure if you understood that this is a high protein/low carb thread, not vegan.

If you need a low cal vegan alternative for that particular recipe you can just roast a whole cauliflower head in the oven. Rub it down with a little coconut or olive oil and add some herbs first, then roast. It is delicious!

Quote:
Thank you Jesse! Omg I had no idea! That is way too high. My diabetes would not be able to deal. Was thinking it would be low Cal vegan alternative for chicken. I would not go to all this trouble .... too lazy! Lol

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo