Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALovelyKiss View Post
Bernard, Ted. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration and Sustainability. Gabriola Island, BC, Canada: New Society Publishers.
I've read the reviews and this looks like a great read. What do you think so far?
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #222
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I usually have a few physical (well now Kindle) books and a couple of audio books going at any given time. This is what I currently have going:

Moving to Higher Ground: How Jazz Can Change Your Life (Wynton Marsalis)

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do (Michael J. Sandel)

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Thornstein Veblen)

The Heart of Valor (Tanya Huff)

Currently listening to:

The Closing of the American Mind (Alan Bloom)

The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next (Lee Smolin)

The Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson)

Next on my reading list are:

Freefall: America, Free Markets and the Sinking of the World Economy (Joseph Stiglitz)

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1 (Chris Rodda)

I just finished up:

The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature (Timothy Ferris)

God is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions that Run the World and Why Their Differences Matter (Stephen Prothero)

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #223
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stockett/dp/0399155341/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1"]The Help - Kathryn Stockett[/ame]
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #224
Pretty Woman

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Trying to be true to myself

Pretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST Reputation

I read The Help a few months ago. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so predictable. Would be interested in your take, afixer.

Now I'm reading My Antonia by Willa Cather and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #225
cane

How Do You Identify?:
male identified butch
Relationship Status:
Married

cane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading:

-Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
-Poetry 1945-2002 by Wislawa Szymborska
-Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise-Francois Choderlos de Laclos

cane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #226
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Woman View Post
I read The Help a few months ago. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so predictable. Would be interested in your take, afixer.
just finished it up last night at work and I enjoyed it.
interesting story lines and a good first novel for southern writer Stockett.
I don't do much fiction really but when I do I tend to lean towards a southern writer and theme.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #227
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Think Running Man for teenagers.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #228
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

a couple dozen old Look Magazines a friend picked up for me months ago.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #229
GoofyLuvr

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Well golly gee whiz, I bet she would do it!
Relationship Status:
completely, totally, head over heels in love :)

GoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST ReputationGoofyLuvr Has the BEST Reputation

"The Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson
GoofyLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoofyLuvr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #230
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Water for elephants, by Sara Gruen

My girlfriend loved it! I haven't gotten terribly far into it but so far it's good. Takes place in a traveling circus and seems to revolve around an ill-fated love affair and the human-animal bond (just to clarify, the ill-fated love affair was NOT between a human and an animal
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #231
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is
dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #232
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Spontaneous Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil
Old 07-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #233
leatherfaery

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I like my nouns Pro
Relationship Status:
in deep

leatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputationleatherfaery Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett View Post
I haven't read this one but I have read his first novel "The Black Dahlia". These two works are somewhat related in that the murder of his mother led to his interest in the Elizabeth Short murder. Have you read "The Black Dahlia"? I'd be interested in your comments on the relationship between the two books/murders.
I have not read "The Black Dahlia" by him but I am sure that I will want to after I finish reading My Dark Places. It has a lot of significance in this book. I am now curious about what perspective he writes from regarding that case.
leatherfaery is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leatherfaery For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #234
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckle-K View Post
I've read the reviews and this looks like a great read. What do you think so far?
Hi there! I just saw this tonight!

Well, the book itself showcases a series of miniature environmental case studies from different regions in the US.

The Bernard (2010) text supplemented the core reading list for my CST 591 Environmental Communication Studies class. At the end of our course, our professor sought out class opinion about whether to keep this book as part of the readings list. I feel that this text is a great resouce; other students felt it should be dropped. It's written from a sociological perspective and not too many understand that type of applied lens. We had students from various disciplines in our class - so this might be a reason why some students felt the way they did.

Bernard's (2010) compilation of various community issues is a snap-shot approach. He gives as much background as possible to each case presented. For example, the case offering on the Wisconsin tribe of the Menominee was useful because here in Oregon we have a similar situation: land issue disputes between two confederated tribes (The Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde and the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs) and how policy -in the past and present- drawn around gaming, landuse, or other problematic economic issues they face as stakeholders, in a ten-year long dispute process that is very complicated.

I learned a lot about how people come together to solve situations/dilemmas that affect communities and felt this book was indispensible in my learning process!

Thanks for asking me about the book!
Have you read it as well, daisy???
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #235
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics - Working on The ScrewTape Letters for now.

I received this book as a Christmas present and am just now getting around to really reading it.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #236
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I am about to read The Story of B. Its by the author of Ishmeal. Has anyone read either book? I read Ishmael and enjoyed it. It was a life changing book for my daughter, much like Johnathon Livingston Seagull was for me when i was her age.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #237
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

OH! I have been wanting to read that book! I am going to see if I cant get it at the library when I go to the hospital for my surgery. I want to bring a few books so I can read and not just watch TV all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzman View Post
The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics - Working on The ScrewTape Letters for now.

I received this book as a Christmas present and am just now getting around to really reading it.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #238
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

I liked the last book....but I think they best lay it down and start a new project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is
Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #239
cane

How Do You Identify?:
male identified butch
Relationship Status:
Married

cane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputation

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

(What can I say, I'm just a sucker for the old classics)

cane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cane For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #240
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

The Boys by Martin Gilbert

Documents the lives of 732 boys and girls during the Holocaust, their lives before the camps, the camps, and after the camps.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading