Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 11-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #241
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Butternut Squash & Kale Beef Stew
2 tbsp bacon fat
2 lbs. stew beef, 1″ cubed
1 onion, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tbsp fresh sage, minced
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 small butternut squash, cubed (about 4 cups)
16oz frozen, chopped kale (I use fresh organic baby kale)
4 cups beef stock, (or bone broth if you have it)
salt and pepper
In a large dutch oven heat 1 tbsp bacon fat over medium high. Working in batches, brown the meat, making sure not to cook it through (it can turn tough). Set browned meat aside. Lower heat to medium and add the 2nd tbsp bacon fat. Once it’s melted add the onions, garlic, smoked paprika, and sage to pot, along with a big pinch of salt and fresh pepper. Cook about 8 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften and turn translucent. Make sure to stir frequently so the mixture doesn’t burn.
Add the beef, butternut squash, and kale to the pot. Stir to combine, then add the beef stock and two cups of hot water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook, covered, for at least an hour.
Serve and enjoy. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. This makes a HUGE batch of stew.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #242
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

This butternut & kale beef stew is the best stew I've had in a long time. It tastes like Fall.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #243
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I love avocado, especially the huge ones we have here in Florida because they taste more buttery to me. I also love bacon and eggs, so today I combined the three and made stuffed, baked avocado bowls. It was really good.
I am going to try to put down some semblance of a recipe here, but go with your own preferences because that's all I did.

Ingredients:
avocado
2 eggs
cayenne pepper
cooked and crumbled bacon
diced tomato
fresh chives
salt,pepper and cayenne to taste
cheese - optional (I used a little horseradish cheddar)

Directions:
Oven temp- 350
Cut the avocado in half, remove seed and scoop out the meat into a mixing bowl, being careful not to tear or puncture the avocado shell because you will use this as a baking bowl.

Mash up the avocado with a fork, then add crumpled bacon, diced tomato, shredded or diced cheese, and the above seasonings to taste then mix well. Scoop mixture back into the shells.

Next, you can either make a little bowl like indention in the mix and crack and egg in each half then bake for 15-20 minutes. Or you can fry or poach your eggs and then add to the top of the avocado bowl near the end of baking. I prefer to do the latter because I find baked eggs to be too rubbery for my tastes. Sprinkle the tops with a little shredded cheese and fresh chives when you remove the bowls from the oven. Again, the cheese is optional and can be left off if you do not consume cheese.

I hope everyone had a great holiday!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #244
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,371 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Question:

Does this thread count as a Paleo thread also? I've been looking into it more and I see similarities. But I could have sworn I saw a Paleo thread somewheres about...
Old 12-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #245
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,580 Times in 2,650 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
Question:

Does this thread count as a Paleo thread also? I've been looking into it more and I see similarities. But I could have sworn I saw a Paleo thread somewheres about...
I think if you scroll through the back pages, you'll find more posted about it. I'm mostly paleo-- with a little primal (includes some dairy)--

Good luck with your new way of eating.

ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #246
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Quote:
Question:

Yep, it does. Back when I first started the thread Paleo wasn't quite as well known as it is now, so I just titled it as High Protein/Lo Carbers because I figured the folks who ate that way would recognize it. Most of us that post recipes here only post Paleo/Primal. Welcome Cinn!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #247
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you both!

Primal sounds more like my deal. I'm not big into dairy; I resent the industry. But I find that yogurt is something that I not only enjoy at breakfast, but it keeps me fuller than just having cereal. (WHICH...I know isn't really allowed in either diet, but I'm habituated to it and can't cook breakfast every single day)

I suppose if I had a good source of eggs, I could hard boil some ahead of time and have that with turkey sausage. I guess breakfast will be my hardest meal. But I'm very much loving my morning smoothies. So that may just suffice. I may also include whole grain breads that I make myself..since I've been itching to try my hand at baking bread.

I think what I need is a 5-7 day juice fast. I find that's the best way to rid the body of the carb cravings. That's how I did it the last time I went low carb...yes the first 2-3 days are hell...but it takes that long (72 hours) for your body to completely digest.

I'm going to peruse the threads here further, and thank you for the suggestion.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #248
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

It occurred to me last night, I'm going to be living very close to a dairy farm.

I'm thinking if I visit and find the animals are treated well, it wouldn't be hard for me to buy milk and milk products from them. Now that I've found that Land O' Lakes is in Monsanto's pocket, I need an alternative for butter. If I get raw milk, I can make my own cheese, yogurt and possibly butter.

Also, Asheville is big into the Buy Local movement. It just makes sense. The further your food travels the less fresh it is and the larger the carbon footprint. Many of their restaurants buy from local farmers and their menus reflect what is available at that point in time.

For anyone interested, No Impact Man provided a lot of information on "do it yourself" food. Since he vowed for a year to use nothing disposable, he had to learn to make a lot o things at home...bread and yogurt included. It's worth a read. But he touches upon the local food thing. The author said something along the lines of, if you want to know where your food is coming from, you have to go meet the farmer who grows it, shake his hand and look him in the eye and see if he's proud of his product. That is not a verbatim quote but it's true none the less...

This may not be the best place to post all this but I've been going through things in my head that I want to change, what's acceptable to me and what isn't. So this is the fall out from my contemplations
Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #249
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

THIS article is going around by all the Paleo folks that I read.

Take a look.

It kind of wraps things up in a nut shell--

I'd be careful with a lot of dairy-- we eat only a small amount (huge inflammatory).

Also, google paleo-- and read up on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #250
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Thank you for sharing this ahk

I did peruse it and found some really good recipes. That booklet for the slow cooker is endlessly helpful. It's really my favorite way of cooking. EVERYONE has time to throw things in a crockpot and let it roll..lol

One thing that surprised me: legumes are a no no?? I was formerly a vegetarian and my legume love has survived. I'm especially fond of hummus and lentils.

This is where I get off track with paleo. We as a species have been farming for centuries. Our back teeth are the same as all grain eaters. Anthropologically speaking, we are meant to eat grains. However, when we were eating grains, we were also hunting and gathering. Making use of the quick energy that grains provide. We didn't sit on the couch at night and channel surf lol. I suppose we could say because of the simplicity in which our food is now procured, we could do with fewer grains and grain products. More out of habituation than evolution though.

I know when it came to losing weight, doing low carb, with protein and lots of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, it was like it just fell off. So, I think until I get to a point where I just want to maintain my weight, paleo will be my bible
Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #251
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thank you both!

Primal sounds more like my deal. I'm not big into dairy; I resent the industry. But I find that yogurt is something that I not only enjoy at breakfast, but it keeps me fuller than just having cereal. (WHICH...I know isn't really allowed in either diet, but I'm habituated to it and can't cook breakfast every single day)

I suppose if I had a good source of eggs, I could hard boil some ahead of time and have that with turkey sausage. I guess breakfast will be my hardest meal. But I'm very much loving my morning smoothies. So that may just suffice. I may also include whole grain breads that I make myself..since I've been itching to try my hand at baking bread.

I think what I need is a 5-7 day juice fast. I find that's the best way to rid the body of the carb cravings. That's how I did it the last time I went low carb...yes the first 2-3 days are hell...but it takes that long (72 hours) for your body to completely digest.

I'm going to peruse the threads here further, and thank you for the suggestion.
Here's something you may find handy:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJHMT4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1"] The Jo!e Egg Non-Stick Double Sided Omelette Pan, Silver, Small[/ame]

I love this little thing. You can cook one or two eggs in, add veggies, meat, cheese, whatever you like. Sometimes I cook my sausage patty in it, take it out, sautee veggies in it, add egg and cheese and I've got a nice meal to start the day.

Good luck!
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #252
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
Here's something you may find handy:

The Jo!e Egg Non-Stick Double Sided Omelette Pan, Silver, Small

I love this little thing. You can cook one or two eggs in, add veggies, meat, cheese, whatever you like. Sometimes I cook my sausage patty in it, take it out, sautee veggies in it, add egg and cheese and I've got a nice meal to start the day.

Good luck!
Oh my isn't that the ticket??

My omelet flipping skills are admittedly bad...this would be sooo handy! Thank you for sharing. My eyes are opened daily to new things and I love it!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #253
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Read-

It Starts with Food. - a really good book expalining the ins/outs of why certain foods can't or shouldn't be eaten.

I also now know that our foods have changed over many years of scientists putting their two cents in instead of letti g the seed do its natural thing. We're very much against GMO and watch the list closely.

I sometimes miss beans too, but I don't miss the pain that they cause in my gut.

Process of elimination- it takes time and adjustment.

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this ahk

I did peruse it and found some really good recipes. That booklet for the slow cooker is endlessly helpful. It's really my favorite way of cooking. EVERYONE has time to throw things in a crockpot and let it roll..lol

One thing that surprised me: legumes are a no no?? I was formerly a vegetarian and my legume love has survived. I'm especially fond of hummus and lentils.

This is where I get off track with paleo. We as a species have been farming for centuries. Our back teeth are the same as all grain eaters. Anthropologically speaking, we are meant to eat grains. However, when we were eating grains, we were also hunting and gathering. Making use of the quick energy that grains provide. We didn't sit on the couch at night and channel surf lol. I suppose we could say because of the simplicity in which our food is now procured, we could do with fewer grains and grain products. More out of habituation than evolution though.

I know when it came to losing weight, doing low carb, with protein and lots of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, it was like it just fell off. So, I think until I get to a point where I just want to maintain my weight, paleo will be my bible
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #254
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bacon, Egg, Avocado Salad

Bacon, Egg, Avocado Salad serves 4 main dish servings or 6-8 side servings

1 head of dark green lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite sized pieces
1-2 large avocados
4-6 slices of bacon
6 eggs
Everyday Salad Dressing

1-Place all of the eggs in a medium size pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, covered. As soon as the water starts to boil. Take off of the heat, keep covered, and let sit for 15 minutes. Run cold water over the eggs to stop the cooking process and to prevent discoloration. Crack and peel the eggs and then chop into bite sized pieces.

2-While the eggs are cooking, cook the bacon. For stove top cooking, I use a large pan over medium high heat. Cook one side until browned and crispy, turn over with a fork or tongs. Cook the other side until browned and cooked all the way through. Or for oven cooking, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place bacon on a jelly roll pan and cook for 8-15 minutes (length of time will depend on bacon thickness). Watch carefully.

Once cooked, remove from pan or jelly roll pan, cool slightly and crumble into bite sized pieces.

3-Peel and dice avocados.

4-Put the lettuce in a large bowl and sprinkle the eggs, bacon and avocados over it. Dress with the salad dressing of your choice and serve.

Last edited by Orema; 01-09-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #255
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Yum! Looks good!

Quote:

Bacon, Egg, Avocado Salad serves 4 main dish servings or 6-8 side servings...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #256
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

That does indeed look delicious. I don't really like avocado but I am trying to get myself to like new things so I may have to give this a try.

Quote:

Bacon, Egg, Avocado Salad serves 4 main dish servings or 6-8 side servings

1 head of dark green lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite sized pieces
1-2 large avocados
4-6 slices of bacon
6 eggs
Everyday Salad Dressing

1-Place all of the eggs in a medium size pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, covered. As soon as the water starts to boil. Take off of the heat, keep covered, and let sit for 15 minutes. Run cold water over the eggs to stop the cooking process and to prevent discoloration. Crack and peel the eggs and then chop into bite sized pieces.

2-While the eggs are cooking, cook the bacon. For stove top cooking, I use a large pan over medium high heat. Cook one side until browned and crispy, turn over with a fork or tongs. Cook the other side until browned and cooked all the way through. Or for oven cooking, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place bacon on a jelly roll pan and cook for 8-15 minutes (length of time will depend on bacon thickness). Watch carefully.

Once cooked, remove from pan or jelly roll pan, cool slightly and crumble into bite sized pieces.

3-Peel and dice avocados.

4-Put the lettuce in a large bowl and sprinkle the eggs, bacon and avocados over it. Dress with the salad dressing of your choice and serve.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #257
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Quick n Easy Baba Ghanoush
Ingredients:
2 large eggplants
3 cloves minced garlic
4 Tbsp organic tahini
1 large lemon juiced
1 tsp cumin

Sea salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.
Bake 2 large eggplants for 20 minutes. (Roast them instead for more of a smoky flavor)
Poke with a fork, when they are soft, remove from the oven.
Let the eggplants cool off.
Cut off the top of eggplants and put them into the food processor (skin on).
Add minced garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, lemon juice to food processor.
Pulse it a few times until all mixed up.

Serve as a dip with your choice of raw veggies, or on top of a slice of roasted lamb or beef. It is also good with a spoonful added to steamed or roasted veggies. It is the best healthy substitute I have found for hummus, for us Paleo folks. - Jesse
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #258
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

I loveee baba ganoush! Thanks for another awesome recipe
Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #259
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

I love eggplant, but unfortunately my wife doesn't.
We made chicken neck/feet bone broth this weekend- and we've drank probably half of it. Wife has the flu and I still have some weird respiratory thing going on.
Cheers!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #260
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I hope you both feel better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
I love eggplant, but unfortunately my wife doesn't.
We made chicken neck/feet bone broth this weekend- and we've drank probably half of it. Wife has the flu and I still have some weird respiratory thing going on.
Cheers!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo