Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Astrology: There's a new sign in town, baby

Well not really. The interloper Ophiuchus who falls at Nov. 29- Dec. 17 is not really new. That sign's been around for a while.

Some scientists and astrologers are claiming that we should be using these dates for the signs of the Zodiac.

• Capricorn: Jan. 20 - Feb. 16
  • Aquarius: Feb. 16 - March 11
  • Pisces: March 11- April 18
  • Aries: April 18- May 13
  • Taurus: May 13- June 21
  • Gemini: June 21- July 20
  • Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10
  • Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16
  • Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30
  • Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
  • Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29
  • Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17
  • Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20
So I've been asked what this means. Does it mean your formerly compatible lover just grew a 2nd head (no not that one you perverts. FOCUS)? Does it mean everything you thought you knew about yourself is wrong?

Probably not. We are more than our sun sign. We are complicated puzzles astrologically speaking.

In normal astrology, there are twelve houses, twelve signs and 10 planets. Unless you add Chiron...
Take away Pluto...
Add in the asteroids...
And now this...this Ophiuchus-The Serpent.

Is it me or does he have a might anaconda, Rhonda?

I digress. This addition, if you accept it, means that your sun sign might change. Mine did. I went from emotionally flaky Pisces to mentally flaky Aquarius. LOL Probably my other signs moved around too so maybe I'm not an Aquarius Rising.

For me, I'll muddle on as I have. Pluto is still a planet. Chiron is the Wanderer. The Asteroids are intriguing and this new kid in town? This Ophiuchus? He can hang out. I'll have to see how I feel about him down the road. I won't be adding him to my Tarotscopes...yet.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

I am the epitome of LEO, no matter what they want to change it to. There's no way I could even bother getting used to changing my sign, even if the new sign for me does have some of my traits also. So...for me personally, it doesn't really mean much. I shall retain the Leo sign by choice I guess...lol
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
sharkchomp

How Do You Identify?:
TG/stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,341 Times in 309 Posts
sharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputation

I don't understand how 'whoever' could change the signs. Who are these people? What authority do they have anyway??? And why change something that has been what it is for generations????

My birthday falls under pisces no matter the change or not, but still, it just seems wrong to me.

~~~shark~~~~~~~~

take a fish boating
sharkchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharkchomp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I read about this on HuffPost and to be honest, have no idear if it means that I'm no longer Aries or if I'm rather fishy now.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Oh hell no! I refuse to be a Pisces!
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I'm always gonna be a Ram, sorry no fish for Me

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
Daktari

Nooo I don't want to leave Gryffindor (Saggitarius) and join Slytherin (Ophiucus)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Oh no they didn't!

There is not a smidge of Virgo anywhere in this girl. I am a Libra through and through!!
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
key

How Do You Identify?:
androgynous, gender-queer, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
depends on person addressing me
Relationship Status:
merrily single hopefully married one day

key Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Berry Interesting....

So how will the characteristics of this new sign be determined?

For that matter, how were all the others?
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

From what I have been reading, it seems this is not true.

This is one of the sources, my favorite, and I have read it in a couple of other places.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

I like fish
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

It's interesting how most of us are focused on1/12th of the whole. I think, for me, I'd want to run a chart with Ophiuchus as part of that to see what the differences were.

Just proves how adamantly opposed many of us are to any change, huh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hell yes, Pluto is still a planet.

...and I'm still a crab.

I'm not taking this lightly!

I've been in commiseration with a fellow (FORMER!) Cancerian for much of the morning. I haven't spent the last 10 years of my life in deep contemplation of my navel, only to discover I'll now have to go back and reinterpret my entire existence as a *spit* Gemini! We've decided to go with denial, and to press on as crustaceans.

While being a Gemini may help explain my dichotomous nature, my watery interior is tossed like a storm sea at the other implications. I'm a crusty homebody, and nobody can change that.

Arwen, hold me!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

:holding Mr. Bent:

Sigh. Y'all, go read this excellent post that UoMFan shared. It's by one of my top favorite astrologers.

Then return all your mountains to the moles. kthnxbai
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Okay, so I used to be an Aries (with a ton of Pisces in my chart)....now I'm a Pisces. *shrug*

Works for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
:holding Mr. Bent:

Sigh. Y'all, go read this excellent post that UoMFan shared. It's by one of my top favorite astrologers.

Then return all your mountains to the moles. kthnxbai
So I went to the link, and see I AM still the me that fit into this :
Capricorn Information for January 4
You should embrace:
Freedom, precision, gratitude

You should avoid:
Transgressions, irreverence, pessimism

January 4 Capricorns possess a quirky personality. They are dedicated to acts of kindness on a personal level and acts of humanity on a public level. They are not shy about expressing opinions. They have heartfelt sympathy for the unfortunate and unlucky. They feel it is their duty to draw attention to the plight of such people.

Friends and Lovers

January 4 individuals are extremely vocal about their opinions, and this can be off-putting. They don't care what sort of message they send, as long as they speak the truth. Their love life is usually colorful. They are attracted to eccentric types. Settling down may not be in the cards for these fun-loving souls.

Children and Family

January 4 men and women have a need to break with the past. They believe in throwing off the conventions of their upbringing to find a truer, more meaningful identity. They allow their children this same freedom. Understanding it is necessary to discipline youngsters, they nonetheless use a light touch.

Health

Although they are healthy in a general way, January 4 men and women often suffer from unusual complaints. These are exacerbated by the fact that they are somewhat lax in their attention to health and fitness matters. Migraine headaches, skin rashes, and periods of mild depression are often symptomatic of their moods.

Career and Finances

January 4 people are not particularly career-oriented. They prefer a circuitous route toward finding what they want to do. People born on this date are often fortunate where money is concerned, though they seem to take little interest in financial affairs. Gambling is a favorite pastime of these individuals, but this should not be encouraged.

Dreams and Goals

The chief goal of January 4 people is to experience life in all its variety. They want to see and do things most people miss because they are concentrating on the more mundane aspects of life. January 4 people delight in the challenges and rewards that come to them unexpectedly. To them, achievement is a relative concept.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

When I read this story (and then watched Rachel Maddow actually go over some *really* cool science related to it) I laughed. People have always guessed I was an Aquarius (whatever that means) although I was born under the sign of Pisces (whatever that means).

As far Pluto is concerned, it's not a planet. It doesn't fit the definition of a planet according to the consensus of astronomers.

The IAU...resolves that planets and other bodies, except satellites, in our Solar System be defined into three distinct categories in the following way:

(1) A planet [1] is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A "dwarf planet" is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape [2], (c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite.

(3) All other objects [3], except satellites, orbiting the Sun shall be referred to collectively as "Small Solar System Bodies".

Footnotes:
[1] The eight planets are: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

[2] An IAU process will be established to assign borderline objects into either dwarf planet and other categories.

[3] These currently include most of the Solar System asteroids, most Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs), comets, and other small bodies.

Pluto is nearly round but it is clearly not dominant in its gravitational neighborhood. The actual dominant gravitational force in that neighborhood (the Sun notwithstanding) is Neptune. Pluto and Charon look more like the two innermost Kuiper Belt objects. (The Kuiper belt is a region beyond Neptune comprised of small bodies most of them ice of some form (water, methane or ammonia specifically) left over from the formation of the solar system) Pluto is what is known as a dwarf planet.

While it might *look* entirely arbitrary it isn't quite so arbitrary when looked at closely.

Pluto has less mass than the Moon. Is the Moon a planet? No, it's a satellite of Earth. Why? Because Earth dominantes the gravitational neighborhood. Pluto doesn't dominate its gravitational neighborhood. While Pluto orbits the Sun (like every other object in the Solar system) it is *also* orbiting Neptune. In fact, it orbits Neptune three times for every two orbits it makes around the Sun. So Pluto looks more like a satellite of Neptune with a very weird periodicity. Calling Pluto a planet makes as much sense as calling the Moon a planet. And if your question is "why was Pluto initially considered a planet" the reason is that it was large enough to be seen and there was, until recently, no scientific definition of a planet. A definition became necessary after we started discovering extrasolar planets.

The astrological implications I'll leave to others to discuss.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I have way too many feelings about this. I know it's irrational so I'm not going to keep this minimal. I keep visiting astro.com and looking at my chart to make sure they haven't updated it.

It seems to me the definitions of the signs have evolved over the years - and abrupt change seems to negate that. Maybe the sun-signs have "progressed" like a person's chart will? But astrology does respond to scientific discovery. Classical "planets" included the sun, moon, mercury, venus, mars, jupiter and saturn. Only since the invention of the telescope has Western astrology incorporated Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. Pisces (my sign (dammit)), was traditionally ruled by Jupiter, but modern astrologers consider Pisces to be ruled by Neptune - which was only discovered in 1846.

So I'm guessing this issue - which appears to have sprung from the off-hand statements of an astronomy professor who wasn't speaking about astrology - will be incorporated into modern astrology as time passes. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will be like in 10 years. It seems like a major consciousness shift to me, but then I'm more attached to astrology than most people.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

SNORT.

What everyone is missing is that this new sign is part of a different astrology (not astronomy...that's completely and utterly different) system.

But, grin, y'all will all go on as you have, I'm sure.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
IrishGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme Leatherdyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
In a relationship/non-monogamous

Thanked 1,209 Times in 366 Posts
IrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Always a LEO! *ROAR*

Not changing..nope..I love being a Lioness!

did I roar yet?

*ROAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR*

carry on
IrishGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astrology, divination, ophiuchus, tarotscopes, zodiac