Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default 12 Biggest Rip-Offs in America

Sourced: http://www.billshrink.com/blog/7636/...fs-in-america/

A lot of these I think I've known but sometimes still do (e.g., movie popcorn has this quality that I can't seem to replicate at home). And I was surprised about the buffet. So that said, what other things do you consider a rip-off in society today? (think materialistic here -- things you buy or services you use).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

A lot of these I think I've known but sometimes still do (e.g., movie popcorn has this quality that I can't seem to replicate at home). And I was surprised about the buffet. So that said, what other things do you consider a rip-off in society today? (think materialistic here -- things you buy or services you use).
*Ahem*... Starbucks... they should be at #1

Metro
*who was surprised at the Buffet thing too*
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

I don't mind paying out the ass for movie popcorn especially if I like the theatre because it's the only way the theatre makes money. If I don't want to support the theatre I sneak in my own snacks or skip them.
The reason you can't replicate movie popcorn at home is because the oil they use is the thickest, highest saturated fat industrial oil imaginable. The reason is it doesn't overheat and the equipment won't screw up. You could eat a bucket of lard and it would contain less fat. Also the "butter" is usually oil with butter flavored added- a product called "swirl". Butter is too expensive and can overheat or curdle. Used to work in a movie theater.
Great thread idea!
( I do have to kind of chuckle at the title of this article considering the real rip-offs that have destroyed our entire U.S. economy)
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,849 Times in 510 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Those ridiculous snack packages that they make for kids - a couple of crackers, a sliver of cheese, a bite of meat, and a ton of plastic container. 100 calorie snack packaging runs a close second. That's way too much money for three bites of food and a big container or wrapper that will sit in a landfill for a thousand years.

*steps off of soap box*
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
BornBronson
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently banned 7/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
Straight Butch Woman
Relationship Status:
Nice Tie

BornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond reputeBornBronson has a reputation beyond repute
Default A service undelivered

The 44th president.

BornBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BornBronson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

how about those "gumball" machines at the doorways of the stores? THey charge 50 cents for a 2 cent toy in a plastic bubble
Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Cable Service...or ATnT U-Verse...or insert your service name here >>>>.

Fuckers charge a fortune to transmit air signals.
It's stoopid, and now one cannot even get the standard free channels.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,950 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting article, Linus. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'd like to nominate "fruit" snacks, bottled water, juice boxes, those "wipes" they sell in the toilet paper aisle and disposable diapers.

Also, those 20oz drinks in coolers at check outs in stores everywhere. Here they run about $1.20 each - outrageous.

MsDemeanor, I agree with you about the Lunchables, snack packs and 100 calorie packs. Ridiculous. Our mothers and grandmothers put together their own. When I was a kid whenever we went to an event or a movie my parents packed each of us a brown paper lunch bag with a box of Crackerjacks, couple of Tootsie Pops and a candy bar (maybe). Sometimes they bought us drinks and sometimes they didn't...and we all managed to survive to adulthood!
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #9
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Has anyone mentioned cold cereal? That's the worst. What's wrong with eggs, oatmeal and cream of wheat?
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
Legendryder

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Legendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
Cable Service...or ATnT U-Verse...or insert your service name here >>>>.

Fuckers charge a fortune to transmit air signals.
It's stoopid, and now one cannot even get the standard free channels.

You can thank your federal government for the lack of free over the air channels. They seized the bandwidth, claiming it was going to be used for emergency radio signal. Interesting that they them sold them to the highest bidder. Nice.
Legendryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Legendryder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Mind if a Canadian adds their 2 cents? All this stuff rips us off, too

On the subject of wine at restaurants, I'm surprised they didn't add beer to that. Seriously, the fact that you can get a six pack for 10-12 bucks at the Beer Store, and yet they charge you at least 4,75 (more commonly 5,25) per bottle at any given bar you know you're getting ripped off. Not to mention that you can get single tall cans of imports at the beer store or lcbo for somewhere between 1,75 and 3 bucks. The whole sin tax deal in Canada is one of the biggest rip offs ever.

Also, chili at Tim Horton's or any given coffee shop, restaurant etc. Chili is not that expensive to make, especially if you're doing it in bulk. One tiny little styrofoam bowl should not cost 4 bucks + tax. Some restaurants will even charge you up to 6 or 7 bucks for a bowl of chili.

Any restaurant that serves you pasta. Pasta's so cheap to buy and yet all these restaurants (and not just talking the classier restaurants) treat any Italian pasta dish like it's made of gold.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
legally_b10nde

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman - Hello Daddy, hello mom. I'm your ch-ch-ch cherry bomb!
Preferred Pronoun?:
female/she/her
Relationship Status:
Single by choice

legally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputationlegally_b10nde Has the BEST Reputation

Biggest rip offs in America is how big telecomm companies like Verizon or other cable companies over charge consumer with their services and products. A bundle package for cable tv, internet, and landline phone.