Old 03-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
silkepus

How Do You Identify?:
covered in ink and glitter
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
watching pictures of cats on tumblr

silkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Queer Recommendations

Does anyone have some good recommendations for literature with lesbian and queer themes? Could be anything from biographies to science fiction or a guide book to gay bars. I want to fill my bookshelf with lesbian books

silkepus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silkepus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Daktari

http://www.katherinevforrest.com/

http://www.valmcdermid.com/

http://www.jeanettewinterson.com/

http://www.sarahwaters.com/

Four on the contemporary lezzer lit. list (amongst many others)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
silkepus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:

silkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Thanks a bunch!

The Following User Says Thank You to silkepus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

This made me think of something. Does anyone remember those travel brochures for each state listing gay/gay friendly establishments that were published in the 90's? You could pick them up for free at your local gay bar (you know, just like the gay newspapers!). They would be stacked upright with little tabs between the states.

I think there was also an updated book you could buy each year for all the states.

The brochures were often wrong though...gay bars come and go really fast (at least back then)!

I wonder if the books at least are still around.

Those were the days!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
silkepus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
This made me think of something. Does anyone remember those travel brochures for each state listing gay/gay friendly establishments that were published in the 90's? You could pick them up for free at your local gay bar (you know, just like the gay newspapers!). They would be stacked upright with little tabs between the states.

I think there was also an updated book you could buy each year for all the states.

The brochures were often wrong though...gay bars come and go really fast (at least back then)!

I wonder if the books at least are still around.

Those were the days!
There used to be gay newspapers!? Thats is so cool! I was born in the wrong decade for sure. I know there are loads of websites, but I've always preferred to have something psysical to hold when I read.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Looks like you can still pick up a copy of the Washington Blade.

For some reason I can't post the link though. There page has a list of locations to pick it up. So, you know, just fly over!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
silkepus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Looks like you can still pick up a copy of the Washington Blade.

For some reason I can't post the link though. There page has a list of locations to pick it up. So, you know, just fly over!
Is this the one? http://www.washingtonblade.com/

Haha yeah, all I need to get a gay newspaper is a ticket to the states. Easy peasy

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkepus View Post
Is this the one? http://www.washingtonblade.com/

Haha yeah, all I need to get a gay newspaper is a ticket to the states. Easy peasy
Yes, and there is a "find a copy" link.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Extra and extra west still run in canada.

The pink paper is in the UK.

I'm sure there are a few places in the bigger cities that have the readership for them. I find they have more events listed. Don't forget the dyke magazines like DIVA you can order.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

If you have a copy of THIS BRIDGE CALLED MY BACK on your shelf, you'll be doing fine.

GO Magazine is a NYC-based publication and website that has lots of lesbo info.

I traveled around Europe for years with copies of Gaia's Guide. I wish I had the ones I made notes in. "Lesbian Connection"! still exists too. So analogue!
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

http://damron.com/

I remember the above as the first travel guide (outside of the one I can't think of).

Sorry to derail the thread so much!

Back to books!

Really, you can just walk into a gay/lesbian bookstore or look online. What are you looking for? Fiction? Non-fiction? Gay/lesbian history? Erotica? How to have lesbian sex (I remember a GF of mine who had never been with a woman before bought such a book before our first date..lol).

Hopefully, people will come in with suggestions.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Can't resist recommending my Honey's book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Exception-Rule-Cindy-Rizzo/dp/1494225557/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395621529&sr=8-1&keywords=exception+to+the+rule"]Exception to the Rule: Cindy Rizzo: 9781494225551: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
Really? No way! Look for another one ordered!

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

one of my favorite authors is Radclyffe I have many of her works
you could also check out bold stroke books her publishing company
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...esbian_Fiction

A lot of good itles in this list.

http://lesbiannews.com/

Online but keeps you aware of what is up in our world.

A few interesting books are:
Lesbian Philosophy Jeffner Allen
Myths of Gender Anne Fausto-Sterling
Lesbian Polyamory Reader Edited by Marcia Munson and Judith P Stelbourn
Lesbian Ethics Toward New Values Sarah Lucia Hoagland
Lesbian Origins Susan Cavin

Some books I have read over the years
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #16
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Oh yeah, der, I have a book too.

There are several places that carry it, but if you order from the original publisher, you can see some reviews, read a sample and pick the platform you want.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/168747

I'll show you mine
8 Short Stories spanning 18 years and three countries: coming out as lesbian from bisexual, discovering a "Femme" ID and her desires in a dyke sub-culture sexuality, losing her first long-term relationship, learning about kink, disclosing an abused past to a lover, rediscovering sex after depression and (dyke) divorce, and ending with a dream of new love and sexual adventure.

*shameless self plug*

Last edited by imperfect_cupcake; 03-24-2014 at 12:23 AM.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #17
silkepus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone for suggestions! I've looked through them all and have added a few to my amazon wishlist (also how cool is it that several of BFP members have published their own!)

Quote:
Back to books!

Really, you can just walk into a gay/lesbian bookstore or look online. What are you looking for? Fiction? Non-fiction? Gay/lesbian history? Erotica? How to have lesbian sex (I remember a GF of mine who had never been with a woman before bought such a book before our first date..lol).

Hopefully, people will come in with suggestions.
How to have lesbian sex, I need that lol There are unfortunately no gay bookstores anywhere near where I live but I have tried to look some up at Amazon. I want to get really into queer literature and culture but dont know where to start.
I found one called The Well of Loneliness which is really good so far.
Lesbian history would be really good though. If someone could recommend something like that, especially butch/femme history I would be much obliged.

Quote:
honeybarbara Oh yeah, der, I have a book too.

There are several places that carry it, but if you order from the original publisher, you can see some reviews, read a sample and pick the platform you want.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/168747

I'll show you mine
8 Short Stories spanning 18 years and three countries: coming out as lesbian from bisexual, discovering a "Femme" ID and her desires in a dyke sub-culture sexuality, losing her first long-term relationship, learning about kink, disclosing an abused past to a lover, rediscovering sex after depression and (dyke) divorce, and ending with a dream of new love and sexual adventure.

*shameless self plug*
Looks very interesting, definetely adding that!

Again thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silkepus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #18
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"stone butch blues"
Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

For a fun read, try Fannie Flagg's "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe". The Lesbian content was removed for the film but it's definitely there in the book
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

stone butch blues is one of my favorites, and i loved the fried green tomatoes movie, now i have to check out the book!

http://zahrawithaz.livejournal.com/12471.html has a list of books written by queer people of color authors, many of whom are lesbian and several who write about lgbtq issues and characters.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, lesbian, queer, recommendations