Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-23-2019, 05:24 AM   #261
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Zombieland: Double Tap

I forgot to mention that I have also seen the 2nd installment of Zombieland - i.e. Double Tap, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and left me with a smile on my face. Same old gang +a few new faces, good interaction between the characters and lotsa meaningless fun. The hippie poser(s) were good for a laugh. Gotta love killing those zombies , chuckling here. Of course, unlike John Wick, where those killed (by knife, gun, martial arts... etc.) bleed red (ketchup), it just seemed that all those zombies tended to bleed a dark crimson/burnt umber colour, which reminded me a lot of BBQ sauce for something like pulled pork (yum - which reminds me I have this pork loin in the freezer (good idea especially since last week, I managed to find my way through 5 (!!!!) complete turkey feastings and some very strange dinner companions, and the turkey feasting will begin again this week! - I skipped one feast celebration - puffs up cheeks - I, like the turkey, came away overly stuffed). I don't celebrate Xmas per se, or any other 'religious' holiday, etc., but I do show up for the food!!! Moreover, I am now the proud owner of 2 gift cards (lol). January is always my month for losing those few pounds that I pick up in December.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #262
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,585 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Sun Is Also a Star

Based on the Nicola Yoon novel of the same name.

College-bound romantic Daniel Bae and Jamaica-born pragmatist Natasha Kingsley meet--and fall for each other--over one magical day amidst the fervor and flurry of New York City. Sparks immediately fly between these two strangers, who might never have met had fate not given them a little push.

I'll elaborate later, in another post, why I liked and enjoyed this movie so much....
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #263
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)

Well, I've also seen "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" (2019), which I decided to watch after having seen Eddie Murphy's take on Mr. Rogers on the SNL skit - Mr. Robinson (cough!), all about gentrification (lol). While Murphy is a well-regarded comic, this film about Mr. Rogers took me to a whole different world. Please note that it was directed by a woman, Marielle Heller.

Here, in Canada, I didn't grow up with Mr. Rogers. We had "The Friendly Giant", and all I am going to say about The Friendly Giant was how I spent so much time in building castles in my sandbox at the country cottage during the summer (grin). Further, Mr. Rogers began his show (the Neighborhood) in 1968, while I was a teenager, and no longer interested in kids' programming.

Firstly, I really didn't know anything about Mr. Rogers, so, fortunately, I wasn't able to compare it to anything that I experienced in childhood on TV or in my rather not-so-perfect childhood.

Now, SPOILER ALERT (and major triggers)...

This film is really about a broken man, Lloyd, and his friendship with Mr. Rogers, and how the art of listening, and thus being a friend, a true friend to someone, is a miracle in itself.

it is also loosely based on the real-life journalist Esquire journalist named Tum Junod. "Junod has stated that his encounter with Rogers changed his perspective on life." (Wikipedia)

It just strikes me that so many people pretend to be friends with others and are not real friends, because they leave that person the same way they met them. And, of course, since most people don't want anyone to disturb the carefully built-up image that they have of themselves, this arrangement seems to last... sadly and tragically, and the damage they suffered in childhood remains buried and untouched.

The beauty of this "biopic" of Mr. Rogers and of Lloyd is that it showed how Rogers expended considerable energy in being a friend to someone who really needed it (and wasn't aware that he needed it) and this had an incredible impact on his life, for the better.

For my part, anyone who responds to me saying "whatever" or "so you say" has no real capacity and/or interest in "friendship"... with me, needless to say (lol), and I have the fortunate or unfortunate habit (depending on whose perspective that is, of course) of cutting ties quite quickly with such a person.

I think and feel most strongly that this film "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" is a film that is really worth watching, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in discovering who they are, so as to be true to themselves... and, consequently, true to others.

While glancing at Wikipedia, while writing this, I now have found out that there is a rather well-made documentary film about Mr. Rogers, "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" (2018), which I will be putting on my rather long "to watch" list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 01:47 AM   #264
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Based on the Nicola Yoon novel of the same name.

College-bound romantic Daniel Bae and Jamaica-born pragmatist Natasha Kingsley meet--and fall for each other--over one magical day amidst the fervor and flurry of New York City. Sparks immediately fly between these two strangers, who might never have met had fate not given them a little push.

I'll elaborate later, in another post, why I liked and enjoyed this movie so much....
I haven't forgotten, it's just hard putting it into words why I really liked this movie.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #265
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Smile Jane Goodall: The Hope (2020)

What can I say about Jane Goodall? She's fantastic, wonderful, a most excellent person, a good film indeed about her and her life. Worth watching!

"As the 60th anniversary of her arrival to the chimpanzee kingdom in Gombe approaches, Dr. Jane Goodall spends time with her family in Tanzania and returns to her wild Eden."

See her travelling, giving lectures, also at home in the UK, and then "at home" in Africa with her grandchildren... also having created sanctuaries for chimps... what an extraordinary life (all from first noticing a chimp using tools and later her life as an activist), her global youth program: "Roots & Shoots", and what an incredible impact she has had on millions of people.

Was a freebie through my Shaw cable network.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #266
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default A Secret Love.....

(CNN)"A Secret Love" is several stories in one, each of them worthwhile. The Netflix documentary ostensibly focuses on the decades-long relationship between two women, Terry Donahue and Pat Henschel, who -- having met not long after World War II -- hid the truth from their families. Yet while the love story looks back at that history, it's also a poignant account of what to do with loved ones as they grow older, infirm and in need of care.

Falling in love in 1947, two women -- Pat Henschel and pro baseball player Terry Donahue -- begin a 65-year journey of love and overcoming prejudice.

Enjoyed this very much...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #267
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
3 Generations Naomi Watts, Elle Fanning, Susan Sarandon

This movie is so much more than just about transitioning! Secrets kept from the past surface, and hits the viewer when they least expect it.
I'm not sure why this movie didn't get much buzz IMHO it was so good....