Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,995 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation

This is nudge to stay on the positive track. Good discussions are happening in the thread. Please keep it that way.

Kobi and Jess - you've made your points. Now let it go.

Thanks Malcolm (Moderator)

Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #302
okieblu

How Do You Identify?:
queer butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey you!
Relationship Status:
Single

okieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputation
Default Old Butch Here

Hello

The history fiend in me wants to point out, that in the US at least, 'butch' was a blue collar, working class lesbian. Alot also refered to themselves as dykes. It's not a term you would ever have heard on a college campus, at least not an individual calling themselves such. Being called a butch was an insult-as it still is in some circles.

As for me, I'm blue collar and call myself a queer butch dyke.

I have no problem with the younger generations refering to themselves in other ways. Everyone should have to right to label-or NOT label-as their heart needs. I'm certainly not going to tell them otherwise.

No, I dont think 'butch' is a dying group.

Having said all that, I DO have a problem with college/universities lgbtq/queer/gender/womens studies programs who dont teach any damned thing about where we came from, who all those groups and activists are/were and all the SHIT some had to wade through to just survive. THAT seriously pisses me off.
okieblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to okieblu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 04:48 AM   #303
okieblu

How Do You Identify?:
queer butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey you!
Relationship Status:
Single

okieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputation
Default To 'Butch Nod' Or To Not "Butch Nod'

I used to give a nod of recognition to lgbtq folks when I saw them around town, but then someone who knew me from meetings told me not too, as she didn't want other people seeing an "Obvious" dyke like myself acknowledging her. Gave people ideas. So now, it's always a debate with myself whether I should or not. Especially after getting a few horrified, offended looks from younger-as in college age-people. sigh...

I'm always over-joyed to acknowledge a butch nod though. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, lol.

Last edited by okieblu; 03-21-2014 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Correcting the title
okieblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to okieblu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #304
bokster

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Single

bokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputationbokster Has the BEST Reputation

It's good to know we're still still around.

From where I currently live and work (Philippines), butches have gotten more visible in the corporate world and other professional arenas, with few/some/lots of gray hair, and younger butches (the whole range of feminine/masculine-of-center) still in high school or uni. This wasn't always the case even as recent as 10-15 years ago. A few lesbians that I've met through the years have been terrified of being found out about who they want to love, lest they get booted out of their jobs (the academe, medical field, banking industry, etc). I found it insulting that butches were seen fit only to work on menial jobs. I'm happy to say that things ARE better now, but of course, it could still be better.

I know that where I am right now, the LGBTQ is still a long way off in being accorded Equal Rights in this country. But I heave a big sigh of relief and enjoy the feeling of triumph each time our lives are put in a positive light.

I do get the "nod" occasionally, from butches my age (40+) and because of its rarity, I get thrown off/surprised, then I nod back. Maybe I've conditioned myself to avoid eye contact with other butches based on numerous experiences in the last couple of years of getting a "back off from my girlfriend" stare in clubs. That's what I DON'T GET. The protective/aggressive stance of the younger butches around their partners, as if a femme cannot stand for herself.

Anyway, that's my two-cents here. Now I'm gonna go hang out at the femme zone - lots of interesting stuff there!
bokster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bokster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #305
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,317 Times in 505 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ladies First

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieClarke View Post
nope i became butch after too many cis males came after me

now they all leave me alone
I still own my butch card... and sis(cis)men are still chasing me. Its no mystery that I kinda fall for the ones that have a womanly quality about them, shrugs.Good thread,interesting to read other peoples thoughts on what a butch is suppose to look or act like.Someone posted that we are like ice-cream flavors..genius
If that's true(I mean it makes sense )then i'm black liquorice.

Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuff Stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #306
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i sure hope not because some of us invisible femmes surely like to be on the arm of our butches!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #307
Deborah*

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
single and not looking

Deborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST ReputationDeborah* Has the BEST Reputation

I hope not. They're the only lesbians I've ever been attracted to.

Deborah

Last edited by Deborah*; 10-03-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: I thought it looked better.
Deborah* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deborah* For This Useful Post: