Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Brainstorming: LGBTQ activism post-marriage rights

Now that marriage rights have been secured (at least in the U.S. And Canada and Mexico and Ireland and ?), where would you like to see our community (communities) focus our collective activist efforts?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Daisy Chain

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Hy calls me Hys Kitten

Thanked 1,810 Times in 448 Posts
Daisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST ReputationDaisy Chain Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
Now that marriage rights have been secured (at least in the U.S. And Canada and Mexico and Ireland and ?), where would you like to see our community (communities) focus our collective activist efforts?
I would like to see trans children have any easier time at school/college....theres work to do there.

And equality in general too......In my daughters school in the winter term the lads do football and the girls hockey....why not swap about ? She aint happy about that.

I also had to have a `conversation` about why she was in a boys blazer rather than a girls......all her other uniform are boys clothes...why they took issue with the blazer I dont know...its the same from the front, only the back vents are different. As long as she can dress how she is comfortable she is laid back and easy going....to see her stressed and shutting down over how a blazer....well......*takes halo off*...makes me want to go in and give em a round of fucks from both barrels...* halo back on*....however I was calm and charming and won the fight for her.

DC
Daisy Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Daisy Chain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

Anti-discrimination ordinances that will protect our jobs, housing, etc
Although we can now marry we can be evicted from our homes and fired from our jobs just for being gay. This has to stop

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Here's a starting point to figure out what is needed where.

Human Rights Campaign Map of state laws and policy.

It's interactive so you can pick an issue or state from the side bar and it gives a breakdown of what basic rights do or don't exist there. It does not however get down to things like city ordinances but keeps it at the state level.

Clearly, there's plenty left to do.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Ending discrimination in housing and employment should be next...however the fight for marriage equality for everyone on this country still has a way to go. Whole offices of clerks are resigning rather than marry us, and until they are made to do their damn jobs, we will continue to have asshats standing in our way.

While the tide has turned in our favor, as long as they get away with denying one right because of "their religion" we will not make gains in the more important areas like employment, housing, transgender issues and our homeless LGBTQ youth.

Someone once asked me why marriage equality was so important to me? I told them that for too long we have been "nice" about begging for our rights...but it was going to take us throwing our "gayness" in their faces, and finding that the world doesn't explode to bring them to the realization that we aren't going to sit still anymore...that we are people and are going to get equal treatment under the law whether they like it or not!

What a great idea for a thread Nat, it has me all fired-up!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pray the Gay away Conference coming to San Diego June, 2017

December 3rd, 2016

Large gay conversion therapy conference coming to San Diego
by Timothy Rawles - Community Editor for San Diego Gay and Lesbian Newsletter

"Pray the gay away" convention will take place in San Diego in June.

Gay conversion therapy organization Restored Hope Network (RHN) has announced on their Facebook and webpage that they are holding their annual conference, Hope 2017, on June 16 and June 17, 2017 in San Diego. Although no venue has yet been named.

RHN is a network of Christian officials who believe that Jesus Christ forgives homosexuals for their past behaviors but also, by embracing their interpretations of scripture, can become empowered to live a heterosexual life.

These practices intersect between definitions of gay conversion therapy and ex-gay ministries.

In the past, conversion therapy has included lobotomies, castration, and electroshock therapies. Today, conversion takes the form of psychoanalytic therapy and spiritual interventions.

According to the American Phycological Association, sexual orientation conversion therapy, “refers to counseling and psychotherapy to attempt to eliminate individuals’ sexual desires for members of their own sex.”

While ex-gay ministries they describe as, “religious groups that use religion to attempt to eliminate those desires.”

The RHN say they don’t condone the former, but are heavily involved in the latter, blurring the line between conversion therapy and ex-gay ministries.

Both types of therapies have been deemed harmful by leading government health agencies including American Medical Associationand the American Psychiatric Association to name a few.

Executive director of RHN Anne Paulk said in a recent interview with The Christian Post she doesn't agree with the term conversion therapy. She calls it a misnomer used to, "raise a fear response from those in the general public."

She continues to say that "a person cannot leave homosexuality unless they wish to leave homosexuality, whether they are a teen or an adult. But Jesus Christ still transforms lives. And for any who surrender to him there is a pathway out of homosexuality and it is something called discipleship and the transforming power of the Holy Spirit."

Reparative therapy is another form of reversing homosexuality, but is a specific kind started by Elizabeth Moberly and Joseph Nicolosi.

Jerry Reiter, who has been involved with exposing reparative therapy and an ex-gay groups from the beginning tells San Diego Gay and Lesbian News that RHN is a double threat.

"The particular group that is coming advances both ex-gay ministry and reparative therapy, and they have never met an anti-gay policy they did not like enough to speak out against it, including Uganda's 'kill the gays' bills of just a couple years ago."

Reiter was featured on OWN's Our America with Lisa Ling. In the interview (see below) he explains that after his son died, at the funeral a member of the conversion therapy group known as Exodus International blamed his homosexuality for the death.

He warns people that the group coming to San Diego in June are just as unkindly.

"They are bringing the old scams to San Diego this summer, and people need to know the old failed 'cures' are going to be advanced by the new administration."

Reiter is a survivor of reparative therapy himself. He tells SDGLN that he was in reparative therapy beginning at the age of 16-years old, “it was a scam that sucked $41,000 from me, but did not work."

Since then he has been an advocate against these groups, appearing on television and speaking with ex-gay leaders, eventually helping to shut down the ex-gay network Exodus International.

"I fought for making gay conversion therapy illegal for minors in my state of California," he said.

He says he also exposed the Restored Hope Network's executive director's ex-husband to come out.

"For this RHN group, I caused the husband of the current leader to be re-outed as a gay man," he explains, "I knew that John Paulk was divorcing Anne. She is the bisexual executive director of Restored Hope Network."

Reiter also says he was key in swaying the leader of ex-gay ministry Love in Action (now Restoration Path), John Smid, to admit reparation therapies don't work.

"I encouraged him for a long time before he publicly announced that nobody changed from homosexual to heterosexual, including himself," Reiter told SDGLN. "I spoke in long conversations on the phone with him to reassure him that he was doing the right thing in leaving his wife."

Given the outcome of the presidential election, Reiter is worried about the incoming administration and what impact Trump's anti-LGBT cabinet will have on the future of gay men and women.

"We find it unthinkable for our nation to go back to the days when gays were arrested in their own homes for having sex and forced into conversion therapy," he said. "Restored Hope Network has that as its wet dream."

Hope 2017 has chosen their keynote speaker as Pastor Ron Citlau, senior pastor at Calvary Church, Orland Park, IL.

In the past, RHN conference topics have included, "Homosexuality: A Case of Mistaken Responses,” “How Transformation Happens," "Why Gender Matters: Thoughts from a Transformed Transgender Person," and "Making Your Church A Welcoming Place for God to Transform Lives."

Restored Hope Network's Hope 2017 will be held in San Diego on June 16 and 17. There is no word on the location of the conference.

SDGLN reached out to RHN, but as of yet has not received a response.

San Diego Gay and Lesbian News will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

http://sdgln.com/news/2016/12/03/lar...ming-san-diego

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
"check your six"

Thanked 21,352 Times in 6,710 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I would like to see mega convention in Washington on Jan 20th. A million strong. I wish I wish I wish!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Are you ready to protest? Are you ready to march?

While Trump contemplates just how bad to screw us with his "religious freedom" act, what can we do to protect our rights?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

The turnip living in our White House is set to sign a religious "freedom" executive discrimination order Thursday.

Call your Congress persons and get ready to rumble.

The Federal Courts will probably step in to stop him, but at what cost to our dignity?

God, I hate that fucker.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
The turnip living in our White House is set to sign a religious "freedom" executive discrimination order Thursday.

Call your Congress persons and get ready to rumble.

The Federal Courts will probably step in to stop him, but at what cost to our dignity?

God, I hate that fucker.
You know I hate that fucker.

I hate every appointment that he has made and every one of his leather-bound "executive orders" someone else wrote and printed out for him.

Simply a despicable man.

I still find it hard to believe that any LGBTQ person had no clue that he was jumping on the Republican oppress the gays train.

We will be lucky to have a single right left by the time 2020 rolls around.

I already posted that I joined the ACLU.

I have donated to Jon Ossoff who still has a chance of winning in Georgia on June 20th. I will donate again.

The Georgia congressional election in the conservative (6th) district is headed to a runoff that raises the stakes for Trump ahead of the 2018 midterm elections. What a blow for Republicans if they lose that one. They will start to get nervous. I want them very, very, nervous.

I am also joining a local Resist meet up.

RESIST:

MEMBERS
MEETUPS

Concerned about where things are heading? You're not alone. Join others who care about what’s happening to democracy, human rights, social justice, equality, sustainability, and other issues in your area. It’s ok if you’ve never been to a protest, march, or town hall—start here.

You really can make a difference.

https://www.meetup.com/pro/resist/?campaign=email2017

What the else can we do?

I am just trying not to become psychotic until we are rid of Trump.

How about you?

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: