Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > Words Games, Quizzes, Etc.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #21
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Beat Around the Bush

Origin: This phrase is believed to have come from hunting. Back in medieval times, hunters would hire men who would assist them in the hunt by flushing out animals from within the brush. This could be done by whacking the bushes with a stick, perhaps even accompanying the whacking with some loud shouting; the point was to make a bunch of noise in order to scare birds and other animals out from the cover of the bushes, making them easier targets for the hunter.

Typically used to describe any person who is avoiding the main point in a conversation!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover

origin: 'don’t judge a book by its cover' is fairly recent. The phrase is attributed to a 1944 edition of the African journal American Speech: “You can’t judge a book by its binding.” It was popularized even more when it appeared in the 1946 murder mystery Murder in the Glass Room by Lester Fuller and Edwin Rolfe: “You can never tell a book by its cover.”

Means you should not decide upon something based just on outward appearances.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #23
stargazingboi

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~

Thanked 8,321 Times in 1,626 Posts
stargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputation

Bless Her/His/Your Heart

As a youth I would hear this phased used in a good intention sort of way. Ex: "She has cancer,and still gets up every morning and takes the paper to her friend down the street, bless her heart"

As I grew older I learned it was also used in a derogatory way: Ex: "Bless his heart, he's dumb as a stick, but he sure is nice"

I couldn't find the definition in the link provided so I looked else where. Cambridge Dictionary states it means "may good things happen to someone"

I couldn't find the actual origin..though, I do know it is used down south and the midwest more often than other areas *shrugs* does anyone know the true origin?
stargazingboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stargazingboi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #24
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

The Ball is in Your Court

origin: While it is obvious the idiom comes from the world of sports, Scholars differ on whether it comes from the Tennis field or from Basketball. Whichever sports field it comes from, it is a relatively new idiom and was probably used for the first time in the 20th century.

If the ball is in someone's court, they have to do something before any progress can be made in a situation.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst - I love this word, and don't know why I have always used it, no one else I've known does.

"Unbeknownst derives from beknown, an obsolete synonym of known. But for a word with a straightforward history, unbeknownst and its older and less common variant unbeknown have created quite a flap among usage commentators. Despite widespread use (including appearances in the writings of Charles Dickens, A.E. Housman, and E.B. White), the two words have been called everything from "obsolete" to "vulgar." Our evidence, however, shows that both can be considered standard."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unbeknownst

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #26
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Smitten

origin: Smitten is related to the verb smite, which comes from the Old English smitan, meaning “to hit, strike, beat.” What do hitting and beating have to do with love, you may ask? Well, when some people fall in love they report feeling as though they've been "struck by lightning." Obviously those people have never actually been struck by lightning!

Overwhelmed or struck by something, usually love
Old 09-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #27
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Ossified...................

The root is ossify, "to turn into bone," from the Latin word for "bone,".

ossified...........Too intoxicated to function properly (urban dictionary)

It can mean set in a rigidly conventional pattern of behavior, habits, or beliefs.

To convert into or cause to harden like bone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazingboi View Post
Bless Her/His/Your Heart

As a youth I would hear this phased used in a good intention sort of way. Ex: "She has cancer,and still gets up every morning and takes the paper to her friend down the street, bless her heart"

As I grew older I learned it was also used in a derogatory way: Ex: "Bless his heart, he's dumb as a stick, but he sure is nice"

I couldn't find the definition in the link provided so I looked else where. Cambridge Dictionary states it means "may good things happen to someone"

I couldn't find the actual origin..though, I do know it is used down south and the midwest more often than other areas *shrugs* does anyone know the true origin?

Brene' Brown uses that expression in one of her talks about vulnerability. She shares that in Texas, where she grew up, it was used to shame people, she jokes about having a tee shirt that says "if you bless my heart, I will kick your ass." or something to that effect. I have only heard it used by people who feel superior to others, as a way of saying "isn't he/she pathetic". I will have to research the original meaning.

Great topic, thanks!!
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #29
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Thumbs up

anthropomorphic
Definition
1 : described or thought of as having a human form or human attributes

2 : ascribing human characteristics to nonhuman things

Did You Know?
Anthropomorphic comes from the Late Latin word anthropomorphus, which itself traces to a Greek term birthed from the roots anthrōp- (meaning "human being") and -morphos (-morphous). Those ancient Greek roots have given form and personality to many English words. Anthrōp- relatives include anthropic ("relating to human beings or the period of their existence on earth"), anthropocentric ("interpreting or regarding the world in terms of human values and experiences"), anthropoid ("an ape"), and anthropology ("the study of human beings and their ancestors"). Derivatives of -morphos often end in -morphism, as in polymorphism ("the quality or state of existing in or assuming different forms"), or -morphic, as in biomorphic ("resembling the forms of living organisms").
Old 01-30-2018, 12:22 AM   #30
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
origin: Smitten is related to the verb smite, which comes from the Old English smitan, meaning “to hit, strike, beat.” What do hitting and beating have to do with love, you may ask? Well, when some people fall in love they report feeling as though they've been "struck by lightning." Obviously those people have never actually been struck by lightning!

Overwhelmed or struck by something, usually love
I think smitten is such a non-threatening way of telling someone you like them in a 'special way" without making them or yourself uncomfortable...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 PM   #31
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Kashrut

Is a set of Jewish religious dietary laws.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:17 AM   #32
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I think smitten is such a non-threatening way of telling someone you like them in a 'special way" without making them or yourself uncomfortable...
i love the word “smitten” .......
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #33
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

lethologica I just "borrowed" this word from another thread.....LOL

The inability to remember a particular word or name.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #34
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
lethologica I just "borrowed" this word from another thread.....LOL

The inability to remember a particular word or name.
yup ..... thats a word i love, but can never remember
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #35
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
yup ..... thats a word i love, but can never remember
Thanks for letting me "borrow" it......LOL
Old 02-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #36
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

sally forth............To leave a place and move on
Old 02-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #37
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Jactitation.............a tossing to and fro or jerking and twitching of the body during an illness.

In the 17th century, lawyers began tossing around the word jactitation, which can be traced back to the Latin verb jactare, meaning "to throw." Originally, jactitation was used as a word for a false claim or assertion being publicly thrown about to the detriment of another person. Run-of-the-mill slander and false claims of being married to someone were two common types of jactitation brought to court. Before long, jactitation had jumped over to the medical profession, where it continues to serve as a word for restless, jerky, or twitchy body movements. In 1761, British writer Laurence Sterne threw jactitation into his novel Tristram Shandy as a substitute for discussion, but that meaning never caught on.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #38
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool

intersectionality
[in-ter-sek-shuh-nal-i-tee]

noun
the theory that the overlap of various social identities, as race, gender, sexuality, and class, contributes to the specific type of systemic oppression and discrimination experienced by an individual (often used attributively):
Her paper uses a queer intersectionality approach.
the oppression and discrimination resulting from the overlap of an individual’s various social identities:
the intersectionality of oppression experienced by black women.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #39
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Gentrification............

Gentrification is a process of renovation of deteriorated urban neighborhoods by means of the influx of more affluent residents. This is a controversial topic in politics and in urban planning.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #40
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Ethnogenesis.....

The process by which a social group comes to regard itself or be regarded as a distinct people.This can originate through a process of self-identification as well as come about as the result of outside identification.
Ethnogenesis can occur passively, in the accumulation of markers of group identity forged through interaction with the physical environment, cultural and religious divisions between sections of a society, migrations and other processes, for which ethnic subdivision is an unintended outcome. It can occur actively, as persons deliberately and directly 'engineer' separate identities to attempt to solve a political problem. It's of Greek origin.

Tags
meaning, origin, words