Notices

Old 10-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #3301
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The Night Portrait: A Novel of World War II and Da Vinci's Italy
Novel by Laura Morelli

It's very good!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #3302
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Not reading it yet BUT........

The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop by Fannie Flagg

I'm thinking about asking Santa for it, but if I can't wait that long then I'll get it myself!

“The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop” focuses on Buddy Jr., Ruth’s son, who lost an arm in an accident.

“He winds up in a retirement home in Atlanta, and he wants to go home, so he escapes from the nursing home,” Flagg said. “The town of Whistle Stop is closed down and he can’t find it, but he reconnects with Evelyn Couch and they bring the town back.”

IMHO this sounds like a perfect escape from Covid, Holiday hustle and bustle and just life in general......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #3303
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir
by Patrisse Khan-Cullors

I highly recommend it.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #3304
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default I couldn't wait for Santa......

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop by Fannie Flagg

I'm thinking about asking Santa for it, but if I can't wait that long then I'll get it myself!

“The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop” focuses on Buddy Jr., Ruth’s son, who lost an arm in an accident.

“He winds up in a retirement home in Atlanta, and he wants to go home, so he escapes from the nursing home,” Flagg said. “The town of Whistle Stop is closed down and he can’t find it, but he reconnects with Evelyn Couch and they bring the town back.”

IMHO this sounds like a perfect escape from Covid, Holiday hustle and bustle and just life in general......
I have spent the last two evenings re-connecting with Sipsey, Big George, Ruth, Idgie, Evelyn, Ninny, Buddy, and a whole other cast of characters from Whistle Stop and beyond!

This is a gem of a good book!

The perfect book to curl up and escape life from if only for a few evenings or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #3305
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters.

I've only just begun to read this historical fiction novel, but it is a wonderful read. Sarah Waters' book was shortlisted for both the 2006 Man Booker Prize and the 2006 Orange Prize. The novel, which is told backward through third-person narrative, takes place in 1940s London during and after World War II.

Spoiler Alert: You can find out more about this book over @ GoodReads (LINK).

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #3306
akiza

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
khaleessi lol ^-^ just go with aki,ana,kit or princess
Relationship Status:
single

akiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputation

Back to one of my favorites french classics by Marcel Pagnol La gloire de mon pere/ the glory of my father and Le chateau de ma mere/ the castle of my mother or my mother's castle ☺ i discovered him through the adapted movies; In fact many movies have been done following his other books. The french countryside through the eyes of a young boy, his views concerning his family and surroundings, his friendship... childhood quoi ☺
akiza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akiza For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #3307
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,008 Times in 5,082 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

_This Year Will Be Different_ by Maeve Binchy

I discovered this little volume of short stories years ago, and after reading it through in one sitting I promised myself that I would read it every year at Christmas. I haven't always kept that promise, but I have most years. I'm so glad I remembered it this year when I was having such a hard time feeling any Christmas spirit.

These short snapshots into the lives of mostly Irish women reveal situations that are just not like that happy, perfect Christmas that many of us dream of, and which they dream of too. These are lives that have everyday considerations and choices that impact their wished-for holiday experiences. The endings may not always be like a Hallmark movie, but they are satisfying.

One thing I do _not_ recommend, however, is the Audible recording. The production quality is terrible. Get the book - it's definitely worth the read, curled up on your sofa with a cup of hot chocolate or a glass of wine. It will be worth reading after Christmas, too.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #3308
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin........

~~

Just started it.

I can't say enough good things about her novel House Girl..
Old 12-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #3309
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,352 Times in 862 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
Post Reading...

FORTUNE The Greatest Business Decisions of All Time

It's one of those books that I flip through to read a chapter before moving on to another book.
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #3310
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
~~

Just started it.

I can't say enough good things about her novel House Girl..
It was OK if you're looking for a novel about families and secrets they keep BUT it wasn't no where as good as House Girl!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #3311
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Just opened up......

Old 01-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #3312
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Atticus Finch

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #3313
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

I will be reading this soon! I'm on a list. It's going to be a movie. Julia Robert's is playing a main character. Same author wrote, Little Fires Everywhere.

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #3314
Stone-Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 8,417 Times in 2,607 Posts
Stone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST Reputation
Default What are you Reading?

"Breading Contempt"
Mark A. Largent
An important book on the history of Eugenics. How it started and how it continues into today. Murder, slavery and the elimination of "undesirables", all done under government law.
Stone-Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stone-Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #3315
Stone-Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 8,417 Times in 2,607 Posts
Stone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST Reputation
Default What are you Reading?

Lets try breeding not breading on that last entry please.
Stone-Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stone-Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #3316
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

~~~

Just ordered Later by Stephen King...
Old 03-16-2021, 01:02 AM   #3317
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,512 Times in 3,155 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Conquering Headache by Rapoport, Sheftell and Tepper

Compliments of AstraZeneca
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #3318
randrum

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Just call me G
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,063 Times in 668 Posts
randrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputation

Redshirts by John Scalzi

It's a fun Star Trek parody novel
Old 03-24-2021, 05:37 AM   #3319
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
~~~

Just ordered Later by Stephen King...

This was good and a fast read...
Old 03-24-2021, 02:14 PM   #3320
Genesis
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme on a varied spectrum/babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/hers
Relationship Status:
Loved ლ ⚢

Thanked 14,633 Times in 6,270 Posts
Genesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Currently reading:

Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Genesis For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading