Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

I seem to be on a Anne Rice kick right now just started The Blood Chalice
My Goose is into biography's and autobiography she is reading a good one right now I think it is call The Girl with 7 names she had been reading me parts of it next she want to read the diary of Anne Frank I am just so glad she is back into reading
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #2782
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,087 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I've not read this book nor have I heard of it.
If you end up reading it, maybe you could tell us about it, somewhat? Thanks for posting about your inquiry on The End of Eddy.
This arresting autobiographical novel pulls no punches; rather, it lands them on the reader as frequently as fists descend on its subject. The Eddy of the title is a (gay) child born to below-the-poverty-line parents in an isolated village in rural northern France in 1992.

I would definitely recommend this book. It's a short read and well worth the time.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #2783
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,927 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrang1er View Post
This arresting autobiographical novel pulls no punches; rather, it lands them on the reader as frequently as fists descend on its subject. The Eddy of the title is a (gay) child born to below-the-poverty-line parents in an isolated village in rural northern France in 1992.

I would definitely recommend this book. It's a short read and well worth the time.
Sounds like an interesting read...
Thanks for your timely update!

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #2784
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Sounds like an interesting read...
Thanks for your timely update!
It's only a 185 pages so I read it in a day.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:13 AM   #2785
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

Finishing up Apocalypticon by Clayton Smith. Audiobook.
Kosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kosmo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #2786
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

Edge of Tomorrow, Hiroshi Sakurazaka

I liked the movie and thus far, I like the book. Should say audiobook. All my 'reads' are now audio format. Just enjoy being read to and less strain on the eyes.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #2787
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

I just finished The Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and An American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson

And:

Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish: A Novel by David Rakoff (this book is entirely in rhyme)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #2788
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The destruction of Hillary Clinton / Susan Bordo.

"A play-by-play of the political forces (both right and left) and media culture that vilified Hillary Clinton during her 2016 Presidential campaign, from cultural critic and feminist scholar Susan Bordo. The Destruction of Hillary Clintonis an answer to the question we've all been asking: How did an extraordinarily well-qualified, experienced, and admired candidate--whose victory would have been as historic as Barack Obama's--come to be seen as a tool of the establishment, a chronic liar, and a talentless politician? In this masterful narrative of the 2016 campaign year, Susan Bordo unpacks the right-wing assault on Clinton and her reputation, the way the left provoked the suspicion and indifference of a younger generation, and the unprecedented influence of the media. Urgent, insightful, and engrossing,The Destruction of Hillary Clinton is an essential guide to understanding the most controversial presidential election in American history"-- Provided by publisher.

For the most part, this is a rehash of what has been published about the election for months.

However, there are a few things where her analysis of the dynamics involved has a different slant, thus food for thought. In particular, she seemed a little stumped and surprised by the way the generation gap in feminism manifested itself and exerted its power.

Bernie fans probably wont like what she has to say.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #2789
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Kobi, thanks for your post! I just finished Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign: by Jonathan Allen, Amie Parnes, but I think the one you posted about will be much better.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #2790
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I just finally finished reading Walter Cronkite's memoir, the other day. It's probably not most people's first choice in reading materials, but it brought back sweet memories of my mom's father, whom I had a very enjoyable relationship. He was the only grandfather I knew and I was his little princess. So I loved reading the Cronkite book.

I began to read the book by John Grisham (A Painted House), last night. When I first chose this book to read, I just chose it because of other books authored by Grisham (The Pelican Brief, and others), but I am glad I chose this book to read.

A Painted House is a story told from the narrator's point of view: Luke Chandler, who is seven years old. It's a story about the life of his family, growing up as a kid of cotton picking share cropper's who live in Arkansas, caught up in the world of back breaking poverty. This story, although it's a fictional account (novel) turns out to closely parallel the lives of my grandparent's growing up years. My grandmother's parents were cotton picking share cropper's in the south...my grandmother was eldest of thirteen children, whom all grew old enough to help pick cotton on their parent's share cropping tenancy. I see my grandparents lives through the narrator's point of view. I'm only on page 52, but I'm loving this story. <3
I set this book aside to voraciously read the book Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty, which I think was outstanding! The HBO series is based on Moriarty's book, but the book is a much satisfying and gratifying read (In my opinion).

I plan to finish reading Grisham's book by the weekend.

Then break into the other book I've set aside Undue Influence, by Anita Brookner. The Brookner book is not an easy read, I think, but who knows? The book has mixed reviews....people either love it or hate it.

Kobi, your book sounds interesting! I like reading books that present difficult to hear points of political views. I'll check it out before too long. Thanks for your post, Kobi.

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #2791
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Undercover Girl: The Lesbian Informant Who Helped the FBI Bring Down the Communist Party -Lisa Davis

At the height of the Red Scare, Angela Calomiris was a paid FBI informant inside the American Communist Party. As a Greenwich Village photographer, Calomiris spied on the New York Photo League, pioneers in documentary photography. While local Party officials may have had their sus-picions about her sexuality, her apparent dedication to the cause won them over.

When Calomiris testified for the prosecution at the 1949 Smith Act trial of the Party's National Board, her identity as an informant (but not as a lesbian) was revealed. Her testimony sent eleven party leaders to prison and decimated the ranks of the Communist Party in the US.

Undercover Girl is both a new chapter in Cold War history and an intimate look at the relationship between the FBI and one of its paid inform-ants. Ambitious and sometimes ruthless, Calomiris defied convention in her quest for celebrity.

-----------------------------------------

I have lived on Cape Cod for over 40 years. It is not unusual to run into, do business with, have breakfast with people of celebrity without having a clue as to who they are.

Angela Calomiris is one of those people.

If you are of my era and ever spent time in Ptown, you probably met this woman too. Angela was the owner of Angels Landing bed and breakfast on Commercial St.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #2792
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Kobi, thanks for your post! I just finished Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign: by Jonathan Allen, Amie Parnes, but I think the one you posted about will be much better.
Kobi, is your book an e-book? If NOT, would you be interested in doing a book exchange?

Shattered is a dry read I must say just so you know!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #2793
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Kobi, is your book an e-book? If NOT, would you be interested in doing a book exchange?

Shattered is a dry read I must say just so you know!

I use the public library system.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #2794
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i am struggling....

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #2795
2qt

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her..
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,967 Times in 582 Posts
2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading Gwen Wilson's story.....I belong to no one..
2qt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #2796
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation

The Letter by Kathryn Hughes

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #2797
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default The end of loyalty : the rise and fall of good jobs in America / Rick Wartzman.

In this richly detailed and eye-opening book, Rick Wartzman chronicles the erosion of the relationship between American companies and their workers. Through the stories of four major employers--General Motors, General Electric, Kodak, and Coca-Cola--he shows how big businesses once took responsibility for providing their workers and retirees with an array of social benefits. At the height of the post-World War II economy, these companies also believed that worker pay needed to be kept high in order to preserve morale and keep the economy humming. Productivity boomed.

But the corporate social contract didn't last. By tracing the ups and downs of these four corporate icons over seventy years, Wartzman illustrates just how much has been lost: job security and steadily rising pay, guaranteed pensions, robust health benefits, and much more. Charting the Golden Age of the '50s and '60s; the turbulent years of the '70s and '80s; and the growth of downsizing, outsourcing, and instability in the modern era, Wartzman's narrative is a biography of the American Dream gone sideways.

Deeply researched and compelling, The End of Loyalty will make you rethink how Americans can begin to resurrect the middle class.

-----------------------

I'm thinking "richly detailed" is a euphemism for mind numbing minutia.

Good stuff, just a lot of detail to wade through.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #2798
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default White working class : overcoming class cluelessness in America / Joan C. Williams

"Around the world, populist movements are gaining traction among the white working class.

Meanwhile, the professional elite--journalists, managers, and establishment politicians--is on the outside looking in, and left to argue over the reasons why.

In White Working Class, Joan C. Williams, explains why so much of the elite's analysis of the white working class is misguided, rooted in assumptions by what she has controversially coined "class cluelessness."

Williams explains how most analysts, and the corresponding media coverage, have conflated "working class" with "poor."

All too often, white working class motivations have been dismissed as simply racism or xenophobia.

Williams explains how the term "working class" has been misapplied--it is, in fact, the elusive, purportedly disappearing middle class. This demographic often resents both the poor and the professionals. They don't, however, tend to resent the truly rich, nor are they particularly bothered by income inequality.

Their dream is not to join the upper middle class, with its different culture, but to stay true to their own values in their own communities--just with more money.

White Working Class is a blunt, bracing narrative that sketches a nuanced portrait of millions of people throughout the world who have proven to be a potent political force.

For anyone stunned by the rise in populist, nationalist movements, wondering why so many would seemingly vote against their own economic interests or simply feeling like a stranger in their own country, White Working Class will be a convincing primer on how to connect with a crucial set of workers--and voters"--book jacket.

------------------------------------

Excellent, informative, simply written and easy to understand - all in less than 200 pages.

Also does well to explain why Nixon's southern strategy and Trump were successful with the silent majority type groups.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #2799
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,352 Times in 862 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
The Success Principles by Jack Canfield.
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #2800
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
"Around the world, populist movements are gaining traction among the white working class.

Meanwhile, the professional elite--journalists, managers, and establishment politicians--is on the outside looking in, and left to argue over the reasons why.

In White Working Class, Joan C. Williams, explains why so much of the elite's analysis of the white working class is misguided, rooted in assumptions by what she has controversially coined "class cluelessness."

Williams explains how most analysts, and the corresponding media coverage, have conflated "working class" with "poor."

All too often, white working class motivations have been dismissed as simply racism or xenophobia.

Williams explains how the term "working class" has been misapplied--it is, in fact, the elusive, purportedly disappearing middle class. This demographic often resents both the poor and the professionals. They don't, however, tend to resent the truly rich, nor are they particularly bothered by income inequality.

Their dream is not to join the upper middle class, with its different culture, but to stay true to their own values in their own communities--just with more money.

White Working Class is a blunt, bracing narrative that sketches a nuanced portrait of millions of people throughout the world who have proven to be a potent political force.

For anyone stunned by the rise in populist, nationalist movements, wondering why so many would seemingly vote against their own economic interests or simply feeling like a stranger in their own country, White Working Class will be a convincing primer on how to connect with a crucial set of workers--and voters"--book jacket.

------------------------------------

Excellent, informative, simply written and easy to understand - all in less than 200 pages.

Also does well to explain why Nixon's southern strategy and Trump were successful with the silent majority type groups.

Kobi? Does Joan Williams supply footnotes, and possibly an indexed appendice in her book? I also wonder too, if you don't mind sharing, is Williams neutral, non-partisan in her views and as well, is she a current Sociology professional? I ask because I am not familiar with any of her works. And thanks for your post! : )

_____ ______
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading