Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #1761
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Wish I had time to bury my nose into a good book, but lately the extent of it has been studying for my national licensure exam. Oh wait!! I did buy and go through the book! It was called CRC Exam: Guide to Success by Roger O Weed, PhD, CRC and Joseph A Hill, PhD, CRC 9th Ed. *Sighs...
But to be able to get back to reading for pleasure.......*another dreamy sigh
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #1762
rhopar

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
taken

rhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputation

The Vanished Man .. (Lincoln Rhyme Series)
By Jeffrey Deaver
rhopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #1763
KCBUTCH

How Do You Identify?:
Undaunted QUEER Dom, Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
MYSELF, Syr, Hy, or friend prefered
Relationship Status:
Cautious, indifferent...

Thanked 3,305 Times in 884 Posts
KCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST Reputation

At the Heart of History- Forgotten battlegrounds of the Norse
Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #1764
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,991 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I have been reading from two books from a former English & Women's studies class I took a few years ago. At the time, we had to read both books side-by-side; as well as provide a highly developed research appendice to our study papers. I didn't like it at the time because I felt my head was on fire. But I saved my books from that class because it's important to internalize the tremendous struggle women have endured and how we still continue to liberate ourselves from constraining, and what feels like at times to suffocate our very existence, socially held agenda.

Authors of Classical literature that was considered highly controverial during their time:
North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell, 1855)
Ann Veronica (H.G. Wells, 1909)

(both boths are reprints and published by Penguin Books)
Coming soon in May:

And The Mountains Echoed
(Khaled Housseini)
A novel about how we find a lost peice of ourselves in someone else: How we find love, how we take care of one another, and how the choices we make resonate through generations. In this tale revolving around not just parents and children but brothers and sisters, cousins and caretakers, Hosseini explores the many ways in which families nurture, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for one another; and how often we are surprised by the actions of those closest to us, at the times that matter most. Following its characters and the ramifications of their lives and choices and loves around the globe—from Kabul to Paris to San Francisco to the Greek island of Tinos—the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page (Amazon, 3/2013).
I have read two other books by Hosseini:
The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns
Both books affected me profoundly - Housseini definately
has a way of illustrating the human condition in timeless ways.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1765
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,484 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

This is a beautiful book , with some of the greatest gorillas photos taken by Bob Campbell. Such amazing grueling work Dian did for our Gorillas.
She was one tough lady.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #1766
BowtiePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Happily taken

BowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading......

All That Is Bitter & Sweet - Ashley Judd with MaryAnne Vollers

its pretty good
BowtiePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BowtiePrincess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #1767
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Low Back Disorders: Evidence based prevention and rehabilitation
Dr Stuart McGill

The Essentials of Sport and Exercise Nutrition
Dr John Berardi

Yeah, light fluff.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #1768
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It came out in 2006- I'd never heard of it, but it's come up a few times lately so I'm taking that as a cosmic nudge.

Just started it, but so far so good. It focuses on Lincoln's gift for turning his political opponents into allies by making the message more important than the ego.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #1769
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation
Default Like potato chips, you can't have just one....

"Incarnate" by Jodi Meadows. (a trilogy....NEWSOUL, NOSOUL, HEART)

NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.
"Sensual Reading; New Approaches to Reading in its Relations to the Senses."
Edited by Micaehl Syrotinski and Ian Maclachlan

Sensual Reading is a collection of essays that attempts to rearticulate the relationship between reading and the different senses as a way of moving beyond increasingly homogenized discourses of the ‘‘body’’ and the ‘‘subject.’’ Contributions engage with the individual senses, with the themes of sensory richness and sensory deprivation, and with the notion of ‘‘telesensuality.’’

Katniss~~(Thank you Kätzchen, I liked "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and now have "And the Mountains Echoed" on order with Amazon.)
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #1770
Scottish MacDaddy

How Do You Identify?:
Sapiosexual/Old School Bull Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
single

Scottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST Reputation

I am currently reading "Undefended Love," by Jett Psaris, PH.D and Marlena S. Lyons, PH.D.....It's an inspiring and practical approach to lasting, loving relationships. The message is clear and the effect is profound. I'm learning alot.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Scottish MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scottish MacDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #1771
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Politics and Pasta~by Vincent "Buddy" Cianci.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #1772
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Politics and Pasta~by Vincent "Buddy" Cianci.

OMG I love the Buddy books. Being born and raised in RI, I am used to the colorful political scene and love hearing the Buddy take on things. I like the Federal Hill stories too. I miss my people.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1773
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I am someone who constantly thirsts for understanding and knowledge about other cultures and religions. So, currently, I am reading The Book of Mormon. There is a nice young man at work who is Mormon, and he is very open in talking about his faith, even knowing that there is no way that I would ever be influenced by it.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1774
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,991 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default A Pacific Northwest Author...

Have any of you ever heard of Lucia Perillo?

She's a Pacific Northwest author who lives in the state of Washington and I came across a book of hers, the other night, which I plan to purchase next week - since I couldn't find a copy of it at the library.

The title of her book is: Happiness is a Chemical in the Brain (2012).

Here's a book review (LINK)

Here's a brief excerpt of her writing from chapter 1 (Bad Boy Number Seventeen):
....."I think he's funny," she says in that woofy voice of hers. "I think he's cute. I think that boy wants to be my boyfriend."

.....This is the kind of thing Louisa'll say that drives a stake into our mother's heart. Lately Mum's been talking about getting her tube tied, a plan I could condone on pragmatic grounds but against which I've nonetheless felt compelled to launch a squeak or two of protest. Louisa's been living with Mum ever since she got kicked out of the group home for repeated makeup theft, and even though Louisa's relatively sulf-sufficient - she can ride the bus, she has a job assembling calendars and pens - my mother won't rest easy until Louisa's fate is sewn up. I mean, Louisa needs a baby about as badly as she needs a scholarship to MIT, but then part of me says: What right do we have to go monkeying around with Louisa's body? (pp. 3; Perillo, 2012).
Book Description

Publication Date: May 7, 2012

A stunning debut from an award-winning poet.

Populating a small town in the Pacific Northwest, the characters in Lucia Perillo’s story collection all resist giving the world what it expects of them and are surprised when the world comes roaring back.

An addict trapped in a country house becomes obsessed with vacuum cleaners and the people who sell them door-to-door. An abandoned woman seeks consolation in tales of armed robbery told by one of her fellow suburban housewives. An accidental mother struggles to answer her daughter’s badgering about her paternity. And in three stories readers meet Louisa, a woman with Down syndrome who serves as an accomplice to her younger sister’s sexual exploits and her aging mother’s fantasies of revenge.

Together, Happiness Is a Chemical in the Brain is a sharp-edged, witty testament to the ambivalence of emotions, the way they pull in directions that often cancel one another out or twist their subjects into knots. In lyrical prose, Perillo draws on her training as a naturalist and a poet to map the terrain of the comic and the tragic, asking how we draw the boundaries between these two zones. What’s funny, what’s heartbreaking, and who gets to decide?

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #1775
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Some trashy romance novel lol
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #1776
jcisbutch

How Do You Identify?:
just JC
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
the hardest to learn was the least complicated

Thanked 1,157 Times in 318 Posts
jcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputationjcisbutch Has the BEST Reputation
Default reading

Biography of Christopher Reeve
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #1777
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lover-At-Last-Dagger-Brotherhood/dp/0451239350"]Lover at Last[/ame] by JR Ward.

I started hearing a lot of chatter about this book last year. J.R. Ward writes a series called the Black Dagger Brotherhood which is about vampires. It's romance but it's somewhat edgy. One of the books in the series included BDSM, and people were all frowny about it (this was pre-50 Shades).

So J.R. Ward decides to step it up a notch and make the latest installment of her series about the love story between two men. Two beloved characters that have been in earlier installments.

People lost their ever-loving minds. People flocked to her message board and vented their spleens about how they didn't want to read a love story about two men, and how they especially didn't want to read the sex scenes. They blogged about it. They cried on Goodreads. And so on.

This of course made me want to buy twelve copies, but in the end I only bought two (one for my kindle and one for my local library). I read it yesterday and while it didn't blow my mind, I liked it. J.R. Ward is a good writer and I admire her courage in writing this story despite the criticism.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #1778
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. I find the author to be a bit full of herself but damn the woman can craft a sentence. I'm about 100 pages in and find myself quite glad that this book is a little over 600 pages. I want to be able to wade in it for a while.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #1779
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

The Hobbit. I have read it about 7 times, but not in the last 20 years, so after watching the movie, I suddenly felt the need to revisit the tale...I started reading it yesterday, and according to Kindle, I've already finished about 75% of it. I can't put it down, and I am loving the stroll down memory road of the books of my past...I am betting this will lead to me re-reading all of James Herriot's series of books that began with "All Creatures Great and Small"...
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #1780
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylane View Post
The Hobbit. I have read it about 7 times, but not in the last 20 years, so after watching the movie, I suddenly felt the need to revisit the tale...I started reading it yesterday, and according to Kindle, I've already finished about 75% of it. I can't put it down, and I am loving the stroll down memory road of the books of my past...I am betting this will lead to me re-reading all of James Herriot's series of books that began with "All Creatures Great and Small"...
I also loved the 'great and small' series, makes me want to re-read them too!
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading