Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #61
LipstickLola

How Do You Identify?:
Happy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,597 Times in 433 Posts
LipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST Reputation

I was "outed" at work, once the bruhaha died down, it was all good.
I'm pretty private, but ultimately all of my worlds collided.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #62
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I've never really been out at work, but now with starting My new job tomorrow and beginning My transition this friday I'll have to be out atleast somewhat since I'll be going through My changes as I work

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #63
sweetfemme247

How Do You Identify?:
fem
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme, she, her, baby, sweetie
Relationship Status:
holding my heart close and putting back up a wall

sweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputation

I am not out at work because alot of people judge me there already

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.
Jim Rohn
sweetfemme247 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetfemme247 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #64
chefhmboyrd

How Do You Identify?:
man
Preferred Pronoun?:
beef
Relationship Status:
Uncle Daddy Snap

Thanked 2,845 Times in 898 Posts
chefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Talking out at work

i was out at work before my transition and during.........
my company has a very comprehnsive diversity policy, covering sexual preference and gender identity.
there are a few people who were initially uncomfortable with my transition. i guess it was ok for me to be a big dyke, but when i became a man, it was a bit of an adjustment for them.
all in all, it as been a very positive experience.
i have even been promoted to management since i transitioned.
i love my job.
@
Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #65
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

I'm always out at work. I don't see any reason not to be. I mean I don't go flying a rainbow flag around or anything but if some nosey old lady asks me if I'm married or if I have a boyfriend I say no I am the boyfriend or I'm a homo I like women. There is no need for both of us to be uncomfortable, it might as well be her.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #66
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Yes I have always been out at every job since I was 14 years old, even though I have worked in some awfully homophobic and sexist environments. It can be very tiring answering the questions of the sheltered and confused, and I admit in recent years my tolerance for educating folks has waxed and waned. Recently I am just as likely to say "Google it" as provide a diplomatic answer. After 30 years I'm tired of being a 24/7 diplomat for the gay community.

My physical appearance does not allow me the option to pass as heterosexual since I am read as "butch dyke". Heterosexuals I've known who "read" as gay are quick to mention their opposite sex partners in casual conversation so I guess if I wanted to create a fictional life I could try it. That might be fun!

I know someone who invented a fictional baby so she could call out from work when she wanted because "the baby is sick". I always thought that was shocking- I guess because I tend to cultivate friendships among coworkers and don't want to lie to them.

I do think it's important for gays and lesbians to be out to everyone and feel that is what- more than any formal activism- has transformed broad public opinion in our favor. But it is tiring.
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #67
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

I've been out at every job except one and that being the US Army, back then there was no such thing as DADT, you told and you were dishonorbly discharged.

I've been out most of my life to my family. I've always been out to my clients as well (I own my own business).

If there was anyone in this town who didn't know prior to Nov 2007 they sure as hell know now. My wife passed away Nov 26, 2007, we were together nearly 17 years. I was listed as the surviving spouse and my parents were listed as her surviving "parents" as well in the small local paper as well as the larger paper of the big city we lived in. I was expecting some backlash perhaps at the funeral home because this is a small town but they were as gracious, accomadating and sympathetic as they come. They treated me and my wife with dignity. My clients sent flowers, a lot of them also attended her funeral as well. They were all great during this difficult time and they all saw that yes, we can have meaningful relationships and marriages as well.

My parents and my siblings were awesome as was the rest of my large family. All my brothers were pallbearers as they loved her very much. My parents flanked me on each side and held my hands as I was led down the aisle at the start of the service. The service itself was led by a femme lesbian minister. It was beautiful, loving and portrayed her as the deeply loved and lovely woman she was.

I wanted my family, my clients and anyone who wanted to be there to see that yes we exist, that yes we love, that yes we grieve and yes, our families are just like any other family.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #68
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Have I gone as far as telling my current boss outright? No. I have a lovely string of rainbow crystals hanging from the mirror in my car and my "Pride Charlotte" sticker is in my rear window. The last time she rode in my car she closely examined those crystals and made no comment. We don't talk about our personal lives which, after my last boss Ms. TMI, is just fine with me. If she asks I will answer her truthfully. But I doubt that will ever happen. My boss is a lady who would never dream of poking around in my personal business. Not that it would matter to her anyway. There is a very out and proud attorney in town who happens to be gay and lives across the street from my boss. They are very close friends. She also used to work with an attorney who happened to be a lesbian.

I was out at my last job and it caused no problems. In fact she may have been a bad boss but she is a staunch supporter of the LGBT community and allowed me to work on things for Pride (and the half dozen other LGBT groups I was associated with) during my hours and use company resources like the copier.

The job prior to that - no way. In fact it was at that job where I knew I would be fired. But it was while I was working at this job when I became involved with Pride and several other LGBT groups. I knew that I ran a risk because the high visibility of some of the projects meant I would be in the mainstream media from time to time and really didn't care. If it cost me my job then so be it. (It has nothing to do with my job performance.) And it was while I was working here and taking this risk that my Mom told me that she and my Dad were proud of me - the first time I heard this from them in 47 years. I wouldn't trade that for anything.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #69
sylvie

How Do You Identify?:
Mr Mtn's babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly, she
Relationship Status:
fiercely protected ♥

Thanked 7,501 Times in 1,850 Posts
sylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputation

yes, i am out at work and in all aspects of my life..there are people at work who might not know, but that is probably due to the fact they don't know me much.. my friends there talk about it openly when i'm around and are comfortable with doing so..

i work with a cousin, my stepmother, an aunt and a few close friends.. so people know usually through them, especially my cousin, she loves gossip and feeding a good story to all, "hey, did you know..." lol.. if they ask me, i'd gladly tell them .. but of course no one really asks..

i've only had to tell a few - the word spreads around via them, or my cousin probably, lol. i have worked in some really homophobic environments in the past, so happy that my current job isn't like that at all.. although there are a few who don't like it, they just don't voice it but it's obvious in their actions...

my facebook weight loss page:
http://www.facebook.com/asyllyjourney
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sylvie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #70
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

At work, I don't put my buisness on the streets, but I also don't hide who I am. Also, at my job, there is not a lack of "family" and never has been. Overall, I do love to socialize and chatter my gums, but I keep to myself when it comes to my private life and others. I don't put myself out or into someone else's personal matters.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #71
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I was on my enrollment information conference call about next year's benefits yesterday...more than 100 of us listening to the HR director.

She said...before we begin, I want to reiterate that if I slip and say "spouse" that also means "domestic partner"...so mostly I'm just gonna' try to say "your honey"...we all good with that?

Ever heard 100 voices all agree at once?

My company offers full and equal benefits to "my honey" and her son. Not only that, but she can earn the same incentives I can...which means they'll pay "my honey" $100 a month for using the free gym membership that they provide to both of us. Guess they want "my honey" to be healthy too. That's just how we roll.

Did I mention I love my company? So much for tales of corporate evil...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #72
oboejive

How Do You Identify?:
Open lesbian and more femme-ish (although not much for labels) :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lee, she
Relationship Status:
Seeking Friends

oboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputationoboejive Has the BEST Reputation

I work for Fedex and have been for almost 2 years. While it has its annoying moments, the people I work with are awesome and trustworthy. All of them known I'm gay, and I even came out to my HR person (well....that's kind of a story in of itself). When I moved in with my partner, I was surprised to see that Fedex offers benefits to Domestic Partners. I think that it's awesome that they are open to diversity.
oboejive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oboejive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #73
nekohl

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 2,162 Times in 382 Posts
nekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputation
Default just one of the guys

I was out at work before I even started working there. I took my father's place when he retired and so everyone knew from him.
I'm treated as one of the guys/little sister by the guys. This means I am subjected to more burps and farts than I exactly care fore.

Other than that, my guys are cool. They don't get all pervy and ask about bedroom details. And the president of the company has made it clear that I am always welcome to bring a 'significant other' to company functions.

I have noticed that a couple of the girls in the back office get a little flirty with me even though they are married to men. I guess they think that since I'm a lesbian I would be into them? Lol I don't think they get that I'm not into girls who share their nail polish and make up tips with me.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #74
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

No one ever concludes I'm Queer unless I bring up the subject. Being taken for a straight woman is a curse to me, so I tend to speak up when it's assumed I'm the *little* woman and they ask about my husband.

My company is very progressive and offers domestic partnership health care, although the US doesn't allow it to be tax free as mine is, I'm happy that I've been able on ocassion cover my parter when I was partnered.

Been out in every job I've had since I first stepped outta dat closet.

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #75
Jar

How Do You Identify?:
TG Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, da bomb...
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,340 Times in 534 Posts
Jar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not sure I couldn't be

No matter what life brings you, always learn a lesson from your dog ... kick some grass over that shit and move on
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #76
msW8ing

How Do You Identify?:
multi-faceted gem, femme, submissive babygirl if the chemistry is there.
Preferred Pronoun?:
lady
Relationship Status:
working on myself

Thanked 2,498 Times in 655 Posts
msW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST Reputation

Being a 5'10" Amazon Femme with gay pride tattoos. I couldn't hide it. Not that I've ever wanted too. I'm out to everyone that spends more than 5 minutes talking to me. lol

A lady who knows the ropes..will never be bound. ~Mae West
msW8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to msW8ing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #77
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation
Default out..

Yep, 100%.... I work in a field that is full of us, though... so it isn't that difficult.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #78
BlindProfit

How Do You Identify?:
Femme and Hys
Preferred Pronoun?:
Feminine strong ones..
Relationship Status:
Ive found a partner in crime, and soon it will be legal..mere months away

BlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST ReputationBlindProfit Has the BEST Reputation
Default Not yet

there is still discrimination in my work place, so no one knows. I don't talk about my private life at all at work, so I don't know if anyone would know even if there was no discrimination. It doesn't really bother me, it doesn't change who I am, so I haven't really given it much thought. But I am single, so perhaps if I had a partner, I would want the benefits to cover them as well, and maybe then it would be an issue for me.
BlindProfit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlindProfit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #79
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation
Default My boss the match-maker

A funny thing happened earlier in the week. My boss emailed me to ask if I knew someone she was with at a business conference out of state for the company. It turned out that the woman she asked me about and I had, in fact, worked on another project together.

When I asked my boss why she was asking I was shocked that she said she was thinking that maybe I would be interested in dating this other woman.

I thought it was sweet, but also a bit odd to have my boss trying to be a match-maker for me!
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #80
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
I am out more than I thought I would ever be at work. It's not common knowledge but I have told a few people that are close and then there are also some gay people there that are out and they know as well.

I don't discuss it for just any old reason. But, if someone is trying to fix me up (rme) as in wanting me to meet their brother for the 5th time (rme again) I finally just tell them so I can get on with things and try and hang out with the few that know my sexual preference without all that stuff.

My boss also knows because i felt that was important in case i am someday in a relationship and my partner or their family get sick/die etc.

I have been totally accepted by it all at least to my face. It makes me more comfortable and i'm glad i've at least told the few that I have.
Wrote this back in Sept last year. It's fun to go back and see past posts and see the amount of progress or changes we make in life isn't it?

Many at work know i'm gay now. I have found my company is very accepting however i am still somewhat careful with whom i tell. Mostly because it is no one's buisness unless "i" feel like it is.

Snacktime has met my boss, the office secretary and as a matter of fact also met my company's pastor (hospice clergy). They were very accepting and treated him with respect and ask about him from time to time and stuff.

It feels good to be accepted. It feels good to not hide. Now, just gotta work on the rest of the world.... *smiles.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: