Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #41
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippieflowergirl View Post
have you seen The Te of Piglet Duchess? it's also quite good.

i'm currently re-reading The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker. given the lively debate in another thread i'd recently participated in i decided i needed a refresher in the ways the human brain creates and perceives language and meaning.

I found The Te of Piglet quite fascinating and I especially appreciate Hoff's use of the Pooh characters. The Language Instinct sounds like a must read. Thanks for sharing.

Duchess
Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #42
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Okay, so this book is freaking amazing and we all need to read it. Can I ask what it's about???

And thanks for the offer of the book. I'll let you know after I finish this one.

Happy Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau View Post
I had to write this.

I read approximately 20 books a week....it is rare that a book has such a profound effect/affect on me.

This book had me in tears before I even finished reading the Introduction
It had me angry by the second page, it had me and still has me held captive.

I had to stop reading this book to write this. i have written an email and sent it to about 100 different people already saying OMG you have to read this book.
I joined the Book of the month club just so I could order 4 copies of this book for a dollar so I can give them to people I pray will read it and not just read it but after having read it say....I am going to do something and do something now! And I pray not just stop with the words but invest time, money, what ever it takes...
Hopefully I have piqued your interest in "Half the Sky", and those that have already read it....omg....we need a thread just about "half the Sky" to talk.

dean thoreau

Half the Sky
by Sheryl WuDunn, Nicholas D. Kristof
it was published Sept 09...... I can not believe it took me this long to find it...u can get it at amazon for 1/2 price...(14.00) paperback will be out in May 2010..please do not wait that long to read it.....If you truly do not have the money to purchase it or a library you can borrow it from...PM me , i will be more than happy to make sure you get a copy u can pass to another after u have read it.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading, The Lesbian History Sourcebook: love and sex between women in Britain from 1780 to 1970, by Alison Oram and Annmarie Turnbull

and

Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold, Elizabeth Lapovsky Kennedy and Madeline D. Davis.

The first I picked up for only $3.00 used and is good if you have an interest in the subject matter.

The second probably needs no description and is something I should have had on my shelf long ago!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #44
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva
Yes!!! Haven't been a fan of Anne Rice, but someone recently gave me The Beauty Series, so it's in my stack to read! Thank You, Miss Precious Thang!
Miss DIVAlicious, you will LOVE the Beauty series by Anne Rice! Its a delectibly delicious series, especially for painslut such as yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics
Under the Dome by Stephen King was also good and the first of his books that I've liked in years. It's about a town in Maine that is suddenly cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable dome. The ending was almost lame but somehow managed to work.
I know someone who is currently reading that same Stephen King book and says its good too, so I might borrow it at some point to read it Myself
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #45
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Absolutely recommend it. I have now ordered his other novel "How Evan Broke His Head and other Secrets.".... The author also has another novel coming out in March of 2010 which I will surely purchase as well.

I have now vowed to get through the Lord of the Rings books and all of the Harry Potter's. I have seen all the films and loved them. So now I am starting The Hobbit and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #46
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have read the first 6 Harry Potter books....they mesmerize me! I'm behind, I realize.....

I received "The Last Lecture" from my Sissy.....it's by Randy Pausch....perhaps You have heard of him. This is the Carnegie Mellon computer science professor who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I have not finished this book, but so far it is an easy read and very powerful and profound. It's a good book to read when You (read: "I"!!!) think things are just horrible in Your [my] life. Half~way through, I have been moved to tears several times.

I also received "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies".... THAT should be interesting! <giggle>........and "The Lost Continent: Travels in small-town America" by Bill Bryson (did I mention this already? Or am I having a severe deja vu?).....at first, I thought the giver had already read it, as it had a coffee ring stain on the cover....then I realized it was part of the artwork! <giggling>

Additionally...but perhaps won't be of much interested here...CydKitty gave me (be still my heart!) "The Culinary Institute of America's Baking At Home"...........<sigh> In case You hadn't picked up on it, I adore baking!

I'll be immersed shortly!!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #47
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:

JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

(Snip) from Diva

I have read the first 6 Harry Potter books....they mesmerize me! I'm behind, I realize.....

I am there as well. I am still on the first book and just purchased the next two. My niece and nephew always told Me to read them because I enjoyed the movies. However, I found them daunting thinking they would just ramble on. Quite the contrary.

I am also reading a Garth Stein novel (My latest favorite author)..."How Evan Broke His Head and Other Secrets". I received The Art of Racing in the Rain for Christmas and could not put it down. I am thinking this next novel is going to be just as good.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #48
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I just got Sue Grafton's new book in the mail from my book club. I'm looking forward to reading it, she's up to U now.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #49
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation it's a page-turner!

essen of human Anat & Phys (10th ed)
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #50
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I found a wonderful site today while reading the Motley Fool, it's called paperbackswap.com and they swap more than just paperbacks. I saw hardback,audio, textbooks, etc. For those that read a lot and don't want the expense of buying new, check it out. Looks to me like all it'll cost you is postage to keep swaping.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #51
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:

Still working on the Harry Potter series .. .and wanting to start My second Garth Stein novel. All the while perusing Kenneth Cole's Awearness read.. and then picked up two from the library today... Sweet Waters by Julie Carobini and The Land of Green Plums Herta Muller (translated from German).
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #52
Jeep

How Do You Identify?:
confused
Relationship Status:
YEEHAW!!!

Jeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST ReputationJeep Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

I read whenever I can, which hasn't been very often lately..
Stephen King. My all-time favorite is Christine, but I am working on collecting all his books.
Read the Harry Potter series, kept me entertained, but I don't think I'd ever read them again.
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have written some pretty interesting books. Unusual, but interesting.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle. ~Author Unknown
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #53
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Ara Wilson's Intimate Economies of Bangkok: Tomboys, Tycoons, and Avon Ladies in the Global City.

Harry Potter
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #54
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default I haven't ordered it yet but...

...some of you may be interested in this new book -- her name is Robin Sneed and you can find some of her writings on the Open Salon forum.

From what I read of her posts, it might be something to look into. I plan on it. (I don't know her!)

Here's the link to the book, but I would suggest reading her writings on OS first--she's good and gets some of us I think.

Flowergirls: A Mirroir
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #55
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

I received "The Last Lecture" from my Sissy.....it's by Randy Pausch....perhaps You have heard of him. This is the Carnegie Mellon computer science professor who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I have not finished this book, but so far it is an easy read and very powerful and profound. It's a good book to read when You (read: "I"!!!) think things are just horrible in Your [my] life. Half~way through, I have been moved to tears several times.

If you haven't already, youtube the actual lecture! I love the back story on that book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #56
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Right now I'm reading:

* Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood by Jennifer Traig

* 18 Rules of Community Engagement: A Guide for Building Relationships by Angela Connor

* The Last Ship - Willam Brinkley
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #57
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

Heretics of Dune---very good
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #58
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Bob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST Reputation

Just got done with Stephen King's new one, Under the Dome. Entertaining, I suppose, but he did the whole apocalyptic thing much better in The Stand, without the need for the eponymous hackneyed plot device.

Now: Imperial, by William T. Vollman. About Imperial County, CA and it's history of migrant workers/agriculture. Immigration. Water rights. How the American dream plays out in Mexico. Valid criticism: long on passion/personal details, short on facts/research. Fascinating nonetheless.

Up Next: American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from the 1940s to Now (Peter Straub, ed.)
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #59
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation
Default Special Christmas edition.

Penthouse December 1970 edition, including articles on the shocking history of gin, an interview with David Frost and an appraisal of Kinsey's work !!!
I picked up this gem at the thriftstore for $5 bucks.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #60
miss entycing

How Do You Identify?:
dangerous, but worth the risk.
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice.. it's that easy.
Relationship Status:
CapitalM's carved upon my skin.

Location: on the southern edge of sanity, under a carolina moon.
Thanked 8,262 Times in 2,255 Posts
miss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputation
Talking great thread!

Just finished Book Of The Dead by Patricia Cornwell... it was really good, will be starting Scarpetta next!
Anyone else a fan? I've all of her Scarpetta books, and recently lost an ebay bid for an autographed copy of one of her hardbacks.. I was NOT happy

True strength lies in submission which permits one to dedicate their life,
through devotion,
to something beyond themselves.

Whenever someone awakens fully,
it affects human consciousness at a collective level.
It is like dropping a stone into a dark murky pond.
Ripples of light...
Not one word need be spoken.

miss entycing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss entycing For This Useful Post: