Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #1021
Kätzchen
~*~*~*~*~

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Being good to me (not available)

Thanked 24,079 Times in 7,645 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I probably won't be done with the book I'm reading right now until later this week but I'm going to check out The Hunger Games soon!

JD? I've read the book of essays by Wallace: A Supposedly a fun thing I'll never do again. Which of his essays did you appreciate the most?

(gotta go, I'm at work)
Spark Notes answer to my inquiry
(the essay I appreciated so deeply):

"Tennis Player Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry as a Paradigm of Certain Stuff about Choice, Freedom, Discipline, Joy, Grotesquerie, and Human Completeness" (Esquire, 1996, under the title "The String Theory").

Last edited by Kätzchen; 12-19-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: String Theory is a recurrent theme in my life.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #1022
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
outlander
Relationship Status:
A ghrá, A amháin

Thanked 16,787 Times in 4,621 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

"Beltane" Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration..it's a little tame, but I can improvise
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #1023
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,147 Times in 1,788 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I didn't want to really read it but it was all that was left in my house that I had not touched and I am pleasantly surprised. Also flipping back to The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver on my Kindle...wonderful read
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #1024
TheDreadPirateRoberts

How Do You Identify?:
self made
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
perfectly content with true love

TheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST ReputationTheDreadPirateRoberts Has the BEST Reputation
Default my current selection..

im reading the great gatsby ....i still have my high school copy and its one of those books i go back to read every now and again...
TheDreadPirateRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDreadPirateRoberts For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #1025
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, grrl, piranha, monkey
Relationship Status:
captured....

Thanked 1,454 Times in 311 Posts
pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation

The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoy

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
pinkgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #1026
Mtn

How Do You Identify?:
Stone butch, daddy type
Relationship Status:
sylvie calls me her studmuffin

Thanked 3,834 Times in 617 Posts
Mtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST Reputation

Rereading Tipping The Velvet, and a stack of Buddha books
Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #1027
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, grrl, piranha, monkey
Relationship Status:
captured....

Thanked 1,454 Times in 311 Posts
pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation

Mtn: Have you read Dharma Punks or The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness by Noah Levine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn View Post
Rereading Tipping The Velvet, and a stack of Buddha books

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
pinkgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #1028
BBinNYC

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Fine with he or she. Just don't call me late for dinner.
Relationship Status:
married to the best femme in the world

Tournaments Won: 2

BBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Jeanne Cordova's memoir, When We Were Outlaws. It's about 1970s LA and the early days of the gay movement from the point of view of a butch lesbian feminist activist. I'm halfway through it and really like it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with paperback coming soon!
BBinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BBinNYC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #1029
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,692 Times in 541 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
JD? I've read the book of essays by Wallace: A Supposedly a fun thing I'll never do again. Which of his essays did you appreciate the most?
I think my favorite essay is the title essay, originally published under the title "Shipping Out." His observations on any subject tend to be razor-sharp and so-funny-it-hurts... but in light of his own suicide three years ago, there's something particularly eerie about rereading an essay in which he links observations of cruise travel and dream vacations to despair and death and suicide.

JD
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #1030
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,705 Times in 1,141 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

I am rereading the "Anne of Green Gables" series
Last time I read them I think I was 14

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #1031
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,464 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Packing up to move has brought on a re-reading frenzy (I think for every 5 books I pack away, I take out at least 3 to read). So, at the moment, I am re-reading several Agatha Christie, a few Anne Rivers Siddons, and, one of my favorites, "The Dogs of Babel" by Carolyn Parkhurst
(I'm never going to finish packing, am I? lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #1032
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,692 Times in 541 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I'm re-reading Touch Me: The Poems of Suzanne Somers. And yes, that Suzanne Somers, she of Three's Company and Thigh Master infomercials. And I'm not embarrassed to say (okay, maybe a little embarrassed) that there's a certain....well, brilliance to her writing....lol.

I picked up the book after attending the show Celebrity Autobiography, in which celebrities read passages from the autobiographies of other celebrities. I thought they made it up, so I picked up the book to see for myself. True pearls of wisdom, I tell you. Here's a youtube video of Kristen Wiigs reading a few of Somers' poems...

Celebrity Autobiography - Kristen Wiig reads Suzanne Somers - YouTube"> Celebrity Autobiography - Kristen Wiig reads Suzanne Somers - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #1033
dark_crystal

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 23,989 Times in 4,163 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

A packet of hand-scrawled letters found in a stranger's backpack tells of self-sufficient communities growing from the ruins of California's housing collapse and the global recession. In unfinished Mojave Desert housing tracts and foreclosure ghost towns on the raw edges of the chaotic cities of the West, people have gathered to grow their own food, school their own children and learn how to live without the poisons of gossip, greed, television, mobile phones and the Internet. Encouraged by an enigmatic wanderer known only as "B," the communities thrive as more families and workers are discarded by an indifferent system. But this quiet revolution and its simple rituals cannot stay unnoticed for long, because the teachings of "B" threaten an entire structure of power and wealth dependent upon people toiling their lives away to buy things they don't need.

Cass Neary made her name in the 1970s as a photographer embedded in the burgeoning punk movement in New York City. Her pictures of the musicians and hangers on, the infamous, the damned, and the dead, got her into art galleries and a book deal. But 30 years later she is adrift, on her way down, and almost out. Then an old acquaintance sends her on a mercy gig to interview a famously reclusive photographer who lives on an island in Maine. When she arrives Downeast, Cass stumbles across a decades-old mystery that is still claiming victims, and into one final shot at redemption.

dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #1034
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,829 Times in 865 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation
Default book rant

just finished

Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World - Richard Rhodes

i have to give it a skip it unless you are interested in a cliff notes of the life of george anthiel

the most interesting part was the introduction - which was the story i was hoping to explore further in the pages of this book

instead it was a half hearted account of george antheil - an interesting subject
and multiple quoting of hedy lemarr saying "Any girl can be glamorous.
All you have to do is stand still and look stupid." followed by numerous accounts of her being described as the most beautiful woman in the world

cmon - when you have a person who escapes nazi germany, becomes a hollywood star and who teams up with the self described bad boy of music to invent something to make radio-guided torpedoes harder for enemies to detect or jam and this book is what you get

a sad world indeed
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #1035
hottprof

How Do You Identify?:
female
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss to you... for hym...
Relationship Status:
Crashes One Femme

hottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputation

Finally finished...

Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.... Wow Steig Larson...

could not put the last half of the book down... holy moley...

Great series...

now what to read...
hottprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hottprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #1036
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 14,608 Times in 3,644 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

went to the library...and am getting caught up on all the Stephen King books I havent read in many a year
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #1037
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,199 Times in 2,340 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #1038
Princess

How Do You Identify?:
princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her.
Relationship Status:
One singular sensation!

Thanked 4,313 Times in 935 Posts
Princess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST Reputation

I am re-reading the Patricia Cornwell Scarpetta Series...found out recently they are making a film from it...and Angelina Jolie is involved...how odd!
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Princess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #1039
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,827 Times in 3,197 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero by Chris Mathews

Intimate Partner Violence in LGBTQ Lives (Routledge Research in Gender and Society) by Janice L. Ristock
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #1040
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,225 Times in 773 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading