Up In the Air 1 1.85%
An Education 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #81
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Not exactly a Kanye moment....excerpted from http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/...y-kanye-moment by Lindsay Robertson

"Turns out the lady in purple wasn't a showboating entertainer attempting to steal the spotlight from the real winner -- "Lady Kanye" was a credited producer of the film (her name is Elinor Burkett). In other words, unlike Kanye West, Burkett did have a legitimate claim to the Oscar microphone. Or at least part of it.

Each producer claims credit for the idea of "Music By Prudence," the inspiring story of a Zimbabwean singer/songwriter who was born disabled. But the Academy's strict rules on acceptance speeches only allow time for one person to speak. Clearly neither filmmaker wanted to surrender the speech to the other. (In fact, if you watch the video carefully, you can see that Williams was waiting in the aisle when the award was announced, and seemed to race to the stage with remarkable speed.)

In contrast to the Kanye West incident, which occurred only during the live TV broadcast, a backstage Oscar "thank-you cam" shows that Burkett was still pursuing Williams even after the televised fracas.

According to Salon.com, which wrangled separate phone interviews with both Williams and Burkett shortly after the incident, the two filmmakers have been in a dispute about the film for over a year.

Burkett, critically acclaimed author of several nonfiction books about subjects like the AIDS crisis and abuse in the Catholic Church, says the movie was her idea and that Williams "hadn't even heard of Zimbabwe before [she] told him about this." She also says the two clashed over the film's direction. Their argument resulted in a lawsuit that was "settled amicably out of court." Burkett also accuses Williams of not passing along invites to parties the two were invited to for the film, and even says that her race to the stage was intentionally impeded by Williams' mother's cane.

Williams disputes Burkett's account of the cane-tripping incident, saying his mother was just getting up to hug him. He also claims he was as much a part of the film as Burkett, citing the money he spent to fly to Zimbabwe to put the film together after Burkett told him about seeing Prudence perform."
---------------------------------

Another "hitch" was The Cove Oscar speech getting cut off for activist message:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_490305.html
Is that the lady in purple...she started going off. Other than that, I thought the show was pretty well done.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #82
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
Is that the lady in purple...she started going off. Other than that, I thought the show was pretty well done.
Way better than usual! They must have let the actual sound guys do the sound, instead of the Producers thinking they would be better at it - like they so often do.

I got the impression that the Oscar Organization was trying to show that things are getting better economically and that the film industry is solid.

I was THRILLED that Avatar did not win Best Picture.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #83
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Way better than usual! ......
ditto.......
Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #84
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Way better than usual! They must have let the actual sound guys do the sound, instead of the Producers thinking they would be better at it - like they so often do.

I got the impression that the Oscar Organization was trying to show that things are getting better economically and that the film industry is solid.

I thought the lighting was way too dark in the background at times, particularly noticed during the dance sequence but at several points throughout the show- your professional thoughts?

I was also pleased that Avatar was rcognized for what was wonderful about it: its technical achievements, and not for the film as a whole.

I just love the Oscars, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #85
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I thought the lighting was way too dark in the background at times, particularly noticed during the dance sequence but at several points throughout the show- your professional thoughts?

I was also pleased that Avatar was rcognized for what was wonderful about it: its technical achievements, and not for the film as a whole.

no, i think the lighting and set direction was great.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #86
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

| I think Carl is based on this guy------------->

Here's a post Oscar blog...

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/...john-hughes?nc
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #87
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

I chuckled out loud (col) at this re-cap of best and worst Oscar dresses at Slate. From “Zoe Saldana’s ‘ornamental kale” gown, to “SJP looked as if she was wearing a satin sofa covering”, and “Sigourney's woeful uniboob”, this article had me lol-ing. http://www.slate.com/id/2247068 Love me some bitchy fashion queens.

From my view Sandra Bullock (who I’m not a particular fan of per se) stole the evening. Her dress which was gorgeous and sufficiently over the top – which every dress at THE most glamorous spectacle of the year should be- her acceptance speech which seemed totally relaxed (yay Lopressor) and yet gracious and charming (let’s face it: when a winning actress bursts into tears during her acceptance speech I just think she is auditioning for upcoming parts), plus the fact that days before she actually showed up to accept her Razzie award for worst performance of the year- how freakin’ cool is she? Too bad I’m not a fan but maybe I will try to like her more now.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #88
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I chuckled out loud (col) at this re-cap of best and worst Oscar dresses at Slate. From “Zoe Saldana’s ‘ornamental kale” gown, to “SJP looked as if she was wearing a satin sofa covering”, and “Sigourney's woeful uniboob”, this article had me lol-ing. http://www.slate.com/id/2247068 Love me some bitchy fashion queens.

From my view Sandra Bullock (who I’m not a particular fan of per se) stole the evening. Her dress which was gorgeous and sufficiently over the top – which every dress at THE most glamorous spectacle of the year should be- her acceptance speech which seemed totally relaxed (yay Lopressor) and yet gracious and charming (let’s face it: when a winning actress bursts into tears during her acceptance speech I just think she is auditioning for upcoming parts), plus the fact that days before she actually showed up to accept her Razzie award for worst performance of the year- how freakin’ cool is she? Too bad I’m not a fan but maybe I will try to like her more now.
lol. Gevalt geshreeyeh!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #89
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Quote:
lol. Gevalt geshreeyeh!
Good grief about what?!!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #90
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Good grief about what?!!
bitchy queers and the uniboob
Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #91
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Quote:
bitchy queers and the uniboob
Oh, you loved it kinda good grief! *whew* thank goodness!
(it was "bitchy fashion queens" btw dahling, not bitchy queers)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #92
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Oh, you loved it kinda good grief! *whew* thank goodness!
(it was "bitchy fashion queens" btw dahling, not bitchy queers)
I thought it was funny in any case, sweetie pea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #93
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I love them too!

I liked the lighting, but I like things pretty (really) dark. I agree that there was a moment during the street dance sequence, where one couple was spotlighted, where I wished that the rest of the stage had been slightly brighter.

Quote:

Ornamental Kale! Perfect! Lmao.

Sandra Bullock did look amazing! She seemed sincere in her acceptance speech.

I thought Monique looked amazing too. Poised and elegant.