Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #61
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Day One. Hella crabby. Done it many times before.

I started smoking at 16. Smoked a pack or more a day until I was 25. Quit for five years and then off and on again smoked but never more that 5 a day.

My Mom has COPD and had a small stroke recently. That is where I am headed it I do not quit. My child hates it. Greyson hates it. I wish I did!!

Okay so here is to smobriety in 2011.

Soldier on quitters.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #62
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
Day One. Hella crabby. Done it many times before.

I started smoking at 16. Smoked a pack or more a day until I was 25. Quit for five years and then off and on again smoked but never more that 5 a day.

My Mom has COPD and had a small stroke recently. That is where I am headed it I do not quit. My child hates it. Greyson hates it. I wish I did!!

Okay so here is to smobriety in 2011.

Soldier on quitters.

Good luck julieisafemme. You've been here before so you know that the first week is the hardest. Stick in ,COPD is really horrible and it's worth doing everything you can to avoid it. Don't be stupid like me and keep putting off the final giving up......make like Nike and Just Do It!

smobriety hah! I like it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #63
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting article on how bad habits become wired into our brains and ways to change it to help reach goals:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/...eat_bad_habits

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #64
Baby Bear

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her/Baby Girl

Baby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST ReputationBaby Bear Has the BEST Reputation
Default Feels impossible to kik some days

I am not a heaavy smoker and only smoke in certain circumstances so why is it so D@$$ hard to kick it?
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #65
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I think I am quitting as well. I woke up today, lit one about an hour or so after that, smoked it and then just decided I did not want anymore. I haven't smoked any, other than that one all day. Cravings have not been anything I cannot deal with, so I'll see what tomorrow brings, but pretty sure I am done with cigarettes.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #66
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Bear View Post
I am not a heaavy smoker and only smoke in certain circumstances so why is it so D@$$ hard to kick it?
Because it's an addiction. Read the article that Kobi posted. Wishing you much luck in giving up. Stick in there because it does get easier as each smoke-free day passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I think I am quitting as well. I woke up today, lit one about an hour or so after that, smoked it and then just decided I did not want anymore. I haven't smoked any, other than that one all day. Cravings have not been anything I cannot deal with, so I'll see what tomorrow brings, but pretty sure I am done with cigarettes.
Go you Jesse! Good luck. The addiction/cravings may rear up and bite you on the bum but you sound like you're motivated so you'll deal with it.

Yesterday I sooooo wanted to smoke, it wasn't a craving for nicotine as such more a craving for the activity. It's down-to-the-wire essay writing time and I so wished I could have a ciggie whilst mulling stuff over. I won't give in to the feeling though.

Remember it's a day at a time folks. You can do anything for one day!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #67
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Everyone!

This is my fourth smoke free day! So far no cheating. I have had some cravings of course, but so far non that are unmanageable.

Hope everyone is doing okay on their journey with this.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #68
Daktari

Quote:
Hey Everyone!

This is my fourth smoke free day! So far no cheating. I have had some cravings of course, but so far non that are unmanageable.

Hope everyone is doing okay on their journey with this.

Day four yay! Bloody fantastic news Jesse and well done not cheating. Keep the faith, the cravings do get fewer. It's really not worth giving in to the craving for a cig. If it's the activity of the habit, that hand to mouth motion that you need just get a plastic inhalator - I didn't even use the nicotine cartridges, I just wanted the plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #69
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanks Incubus!

I just take a plastic drinking straw and cut it in half. They work well for me, but mostly I don't use anything. If it gets too bad I do have my electronic cig, but trying to not use them because of the nicotine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post

Day four yay! Bloody fantastic news Jesse and well done not cheating. Keep the faith, the cravings do get fewer. It's really not worth giving in to the craving for a cig. If it's the activity of the habit, that hand to mouth motion that you need just get a plastic inhalator - I didn't even use the nicotine cartridges, I just wanted the plastic.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #70
Daktari

Quote:
Thanks Incubus!

I just take a plastic drinking straw and cut it in half. They work well for me, but mostly I don't use anything. If it gets too bad I do have my electronic cig, but trying to not use them because of the nicotine.
Go you! Even if you use your electric cig, all is not lost, you just try harder the next day. Have you tried to give up before?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #71
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

No, this is my first time at trying to quit. I am 52, and have been smoking steady since I was 16.

Quote:
Go you! Even if you use your electric cig, all is not lost, you just try harder the next day. Have you tried to give up before?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #72
Daktari

Quote:
No, this is my first time at trying to quit. I am 52, and have been smoking steady since I was 16.

It's tough when one has been a lifelong smoker. Stupid teenagers wanting to appear grown-up and cool *shakes head* I really wish I'd never started smoking at all because ultimately getting ill is soooo not cool! I've been experiencing quite a lot of breathlessness this week but that was my own fault for running out of spiriva, my copd medication, it will take a few days to get back to full 'spiriva-ness.

How are you doing Jesse? Still keeping on giving up?

And you too julieisafemme? Are you making progress?

Just G, are you still staying stopped?

...and how about the OP, Strappie, how goes it with your giving up mission?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #73
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Hey Incubus,

Sorry you are struggling with the breathlessness. Do you have the meds now?

You are correct in that ultimately the things smoking causes to happen to our bodies are just not cool at all.

Yes, I am still smoke free. Wednesday will be two weeks. There are still times the thought monkeys dance around in my head trying to convince me to smoke just one, but I just keep saying no.

Hoping that others on here are having great success!

Quote:

It's tough when one has been a lifelong smoker. Stupid teenagers wanting to appear grown-up and cool *shakes head* I really wish I'd never started smoking at all because ultimately getting ill is soooo not cool! I've been experiencing quite a lot of breathlessness this week but that was my own fault for running out of spiriva, my copd medication, it will take a few days to get back to full 'spiriva-ness.

How are you doing Jesse? Still keeping on giving up?

And you too julieisafemme? Are you making progress?

Just G, are you still staying stopped?

...and how about the OP, Strappie, how goes it with your giving up mission?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #74
Daktari

Quote:
Hey Incubus,

Sorry you are struggling with the breathlessness. Do you have the meds now?

You are correct in that ultimately the things smoking causes to happen to our bodies are just not cool at all.

Yes, I am still smoke free. Wednesday will be two weeks. There are still times the thought monkeys dance around in my head trying to convince me to smoke just one, but I just keep saying no.

Hoping that others on here are having great success!

Aww I'm so pleased to hear that you're still smoke free Jesse, it's good news indeed. Two weeks is quite an achievement. Well done on denying the dancing monkeys. That's all it takes, a certain strength (will power) and the ability to say NO! to yourself and the monkeys.

Yup I now have my meds and they're building up their protectiveness again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #75
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Subscribing

to this thread cause quitting smoking is at the top of my list in life right now...

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #76
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck on your smoke free efforts!! My Syr quit Dec 29 and so far doing great. Thank you Syr! (That meant a lot to me!)

Good luck everyone!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #77
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
to this thread cause quitting smoking is at the top of my list in life right now...
Very good luck with your mission. Give yourself every chance. If you can get the lovely pills we call Champix (here in UK) I can highly recommend them. I wrote lots about giving up in previous post as have other folks, scroll back and check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
Good luck on your smoke free efforts!! My Syr quit Dec 29 and so far doing great. Thank you Syr! (That meant a lot to me!)

Good luck everyone!
Good luck to your Syr sassy_girl.

I'm proud to say that barring a major disaster I will reach a whole year not smoking in just 17days
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #78
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]

Good luck to your Syr sassy_girl.

I'm proud to say that barring a major disaster I will reach a whole year not smoking in just 17days
Congratulations!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #79
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
Congratulations!
Thank-you so much....I have to say the first 6-9months were a breeze compared to the last 3 or 4. I've had major cravings around assignment times and just because I think the universe is testing me - I'm weak willed in the face of hedonism - but have been real strong and denied them all.....not even just one little puff because that's how it gets you back in it's clutches.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #80
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Thank-you so much....I have to say the first 6-9months were a breeze compared to the last 3 or 4. I've had major cravings around assignment times and just because I think the universe is testing me - I'm weak willed in the face of hedonism - but have been real strong and denied them all.....not even just one little puff because that's how it gets you back in it's clutches.
I would imagine so. As someone who fights daily (and nightly) with asthma, I appreciate you appreciating your lungs and those who love you enough to stop smoking. It's hard to watch someone throw their lungs away when you really wish yours worked better.
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: