Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Thanked 1,100 Times in 288 Posts
girllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mid Life Career Change?

Hey all,

I am here HEAVILY considering a mid life career change and wondering who else has been insane enough to try and pull off a career change at midlife?

I am currently a teacher and I am in the beginnings of researching Nursing schools. Just looking for a few people who have BEEN THERE or who are there NOW! (not in nursing - though if you are, I WELCOME your insight --- but in the career change club too)

Love to you!
girllikeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to girllikeu2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

I have been in the transportation industry for a little over 25 yrs and I have been thinking of changing careers however Im hoping to stay in the industry

Good luck with whatever you do
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

For 16 years i ran residential care homes for people with challanges, and at the age of 36 i became a materials analyst in the aerospace industry.

Change can and should happen when what you do is no longer what you love.

Good luck!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Penelope

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
In Love♥

Penelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mid-Life Career Changes - Some Thoughts

Perhaps I look at careers as evolutionary but few people stay in the same position anymore. I think as time moves on, you learn new things and realize there are other opportunities. If you stay in a field just because you have always done it but do not enjoy the work that you do, it might be time to take a look at your quality of life and whether you are placing enough importance on it (general you, not you specifically).

I started out in training but really wanted to work in non-profits. I don't have a background in what they are typically looking for but I took my clerical skills and parlayed that in to a position, and then another one, and another one.... I've been working in the admin field for 10+ years in a variety of industries.

I knew I wanted a change but had to figure out how to do that with the least amount of effort. Not because I am lazy but because I am 40 and don't want to go to school for another 2-5 years (I already have a B.A.) nor do I have a lot of expendable cash. So you start thinking about what you want to do, what will make you happy, what might be a lot of work but worth it at the end of every day. Life is too short to be miserable at work or not follow your passion.

The answer for me was working with animals, of which I had NO previous experience. But this is where you really have to think out of the box - how can I sell myself? What skills do I possess that are transferable? I had volunteered at zoos before, I was helping out at an animal shelter, I even had a pet sitting business on the side. I tried to make these things work for me in cover letters and interviews.

Everyone loved me but no one was willing to take on someone with no veterinary background; I had to do more. I found an online program that I could learn vet medicine terminology, anatomy, and other field-related topics that would at least give me a base of knowledge. I'm still taking the course but I finally found a practice that was willing to give my office skills a try since they could tell I was interested in learning more about the field. I couldn't be happier!

On a side note, I just left a career services job at a college that has a nursing program. There are several things I learned: you are never too old to do this but be aware that not everyone in the medical field will be open-minded about age.

Nursing programs are hard work so make sure you really want to do it and are fully committed. Keeping the end in sight is what will get you through the tough times. Research different nursing schools and their reputation in the field. Don't go through the quickest or cheapest school if hospitals and nursing facilities won't hire their grads. Does the program prepare you to take the NCLEX (nursing board exam)?

In almost every state, you have to be registered and/or licensed as a nurse. What experiences can you bring to this position? Consider volunteering while going to school. They will be more likely to hire you if you have had some exposure to the medical field; a degree is not enough. Some areas will hire nursing grads with an Associates but some require a Bachelors.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girllikeu2 View Post
Hey all,

I am here HEAVILY considering a mid life career change and wondering who else has been insane enough to try and pull off a career change at midlife?

I am currently a teacher and I am in the beginnings of researching Nursing schools. Just looking for a few people who have BEEN THERE or who are there NOW! (not in nursing - though if you are, I WELCOME your insight --- but in the career change club too)

Love to you!
Healthcare is never a poor choice. Nursing is an excellent choice. Get a two year R.N. to start and make about the same amount of money as you would as a person who has been teaching for 5 years. The hospital you work at will no doubt help you pay for your Bachelors and then your Master's.

Nursing is the one career where you can get a degree and start making great cash right out of the gate. If you are considering a career change, health care (especially nursing) is it! Go for it!

I wouldn't consider changing to a career where you would make less money, or if would take an extraordinarily long time to get back up to your current salary, especially if you are going to have to go to college ($), to do it.

Benefit/cost analysis!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?

Last edited by DapperButch; 09-29-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hey all,

Love to you!
I am currently a nurse, and was attending school to get my B.S. in nursing, however, I decided I wanted to change my career completely and changed my major to Speech-language Pathologist. May I ask why you decided to switch to nursing from teaching? As Dapper said, any career in healthcare will always be an in-demand job...however, nursing is a backbreaking, and sometimes heartbreaking, job. As a new nurse, you will probably be working every weekend, on the night shift. You will also work every holiday. I'm not sure what the climate is like where you live, but you can't call out of work for inclement weather. The last blizzard we had here, we couldn't leave when our shifts were over because no one could get in to relieve us. So we ended up working almost 24 hour shifts for 3 days. You will see people at their absolute worst...people ill or in pain. You will deal with violent patients (I've been bitten, punched, kicked, etc..). You will deal with families who are distressed, and they will take out their anxiety on you. You will deal with insurance companies and administration that has NO idea what you do every day, and who will make impossible "requests." You will be extremely overworked and totally underpaid. I'm not trying to discourage you, if this is truly what you want to do, I say go for it! But make sure you aren't wearing rose-colored glasses when you do.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Everything Always2late stated about nursing being difficult, working holidays and nights as a new RN is true. I have wrestled with assaultive patients and was once punched in the eye, breaking my glasses by a mentally challenged young woman. However, if you can get through that very hard first year or two; the world of nursing opens up and gives you many more choices.

What is also true is that I have had many excellent opportunities as a career RN.

I have supported my children, on my own, as a nurse. I have worked in hospitals, first on med-surg on the PM shift, then in home health. I have been a charge nurse, nurse manager and now, in this last stage of my career, I work for an insurance company. I no longer work crazy shifts, have to work holidays, weekends or get assaulted.

To me, there are not a lot of careers than can give you first, second and third act careers; all within the same license and degree.

I feel very blessed that I stuck it out when it was at its most difficult because now I can look back on the last 31 years of my nursing career with satisfaction, pride and joy! I am so glad that I became a nurse.

Girllikeu2, go for it if that if that is what you want to do! I have never regretted being a nurse. Ever. No matter the capacity in which you work, you are helping patients in their lowest moment, time when reaching out a hand can mean everything to a person losing hope in life. What a gift to be able to give another.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Everything Always2late stated about nursing being difficult, working holidays and nights as a new RN is true. I have wrestled with assaultive patients and was once punched in the eye, breaking my glasses by a mentally challenged young woman. However, if you can get through that very hard first year or two; the world of nursing opens up and gives you many more choices.

What is also true is that I have had many excellent opportunities as a career RN.

I have supported my children, on my own, as a nurse. I have worked in hospitals, first on med-surg on the PM shift, then in home health. I have been a charge nurse, nurse manager and now, in this last stage of my career, I work for an insurance company. I no longer work crazy shifts, have to work holidays, weekends or get assaulted.

To me, there are not a lot of careers than can give you first, second and third act careers; all within the same license and degree.

I feel very blessed that I stuck it out when it was at its most difficult because now I can look back on the last 31 years of my nursing career with satisfaction, pride and joy! I am so glad that I became a nurse.

Girllikeu2, go for it if that if that is what you want to do! I have never regretted being a nurse. Ever. No matter the capacity in which you work, you are helping patients in their lowest moment, time when reaching out a hand can mean everything to a person losing hope in life. What a gift to be able to give another.
After I considered what I wrote I realized that I painted a pretty bleak picture. What Anya said is true. Nursing CAN be very rewarding (I wouldn't have been a nurse this long if it wasn't). I just wanted to give you something to think about. I have worked with many nurses who were right out of school...they went into nursing because of the job security but didn't give much thought to what the actual job would be like. A few of them actually quit the same day they were hired. Nursing, as a whole, is a stable, secure career with many opportunities.....but it isn't easy. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate....and telling you what could be considered the "down side" of nursing. Because you are thinking of changing your career, which would entail going back to school...I just want you to have a full picture before you make a decision.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Have you thought about Speech-Language Pathology? Those programs are hard to get into, and if you are coming without a BA in the subject, it is three years of hard work to finish the Master's. If I were a little younger, I would consider it. There are never enough Speech and Language folks around, and you don't have to work directly for a school district or health care facility. You can work for agencies and pick and choose your assignments (or not).

You're still helping kids, but you are out of the classroom and not under the thumb of moronic administrators in the same way. Plus the pay is better.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

girllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
I am currently a nurse, and was attending school to get my B.S. in nursing, however, I decided I wanted to change my career completely and changed my major to Speech-language Pathologist. May I ask why you decided to switch to nursing from teaching? As Dapper said, any career in healthcare will always be an in-demand job...however, nursing is a backbreaking, and sometimes heartbreaking, job. As a new nurse, you will probably be working every weekend, on the night shift. You will also work every holiday. I'm not sure what the climate is like where you live, but you can't call out of work for inclement weather. The last blizzard we had here, we couldn't leave when our shifts were over because no one could get in to relieve us. So we ended up working almost 24 hour shifts for 3 days. You will see people at their absolute worst...people ill or in pain. You will deal with violent patients (I've been bitten, punched, kicked, etc..). You will deal with families who are distressed, and they will take out their anxiety on you. You will deal with insurance companies and administration that has NO idea what you do every day, and who will make impossible "requests." You will be extremely overworked and totally underpaid. I'm not trying to discourage you, if this is truly what you want to do, I say go for it! But make sure you aren't wearing rose-colored glasses when you do.
So apparently I am already a nurse. You described my current position ENTIRELY (Special Education Teacher). We rarely have blizzards in south FL so I think I am covered there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girllikeu2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Have you thought about Speech-Language Pathology? Those programs are hard to get into, and if you are coming without a BA in the subject, it is three years of hard work to finish the Master's. If I were a little younger, I would consider it. There are never enough Speech and Language folks around, and you don't have to work directly for a school district or health care facility. You can work for agencies and pick and choose your assignments (or not).

You're still helping kids, but you are out of the classroom and not under the thumb of moronic administrators in the same way. Plus the pay is better.
LOL Martina... not ST but I am also pondering OT as a potential (in my area of teaching I do more OT interventions than anything), but like ST the programs are EXTREMELY competitive and I don't want to apply and reapply for years. I might give it a try though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girllikeu2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Hey, girlikeu2, I didn't ask before b/c it felt rude, but it really is important to any advice people may give you. How old are you (for some reasons I am thinking you are in your 30's)? How many years have you already put in the school system? Do you have any kids? Are you in a relationship where you could go to school full time in order to knock out your education quickly?

I think the above is important in decision making around this.

Cost/benefit analysis.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
After I considered what I wrote I realized that I painted a pretty bleak picture. What Anya said is true. Nursing CAN be very rewarding (I wouldn't have been a nurse this long if it wasn't). I just wanted to give you something to think about. I have worked with many nurses who were right out of school...they went into nursing because of the job security but didn't give much thought to what the actual job would be like. A few of them actually quit the same day they were hired. Nursing, as a whole, is a stable, secure career with many opportunities.....but it isn't easy. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate....and telling you what could be considered the "down side" of nursing. Because you are thinking of changing your career, which would entail going back to school...I just want you to have a full picture before you make a decision.
(((Hugs, Always))))

Yes, not easy at all. Full picture of the realities is critically important.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
LOL Martina... not ST but I am also pondering OT as a potential (in my area of teaching I do more OT interventions than anything), but like ST the programs are EXTREMELY competitive and I don't want to apply and reapply for years. I might give it a try though.
OT is cool. I currently only work with one OT, for a kid with TBI. She seems to love her job. I agree re the applying and reapplying for years. Wouldn't be worth it.

Re getting hurt on the job, it's a risk -- though less of one -- for teachers too. And there is little recourse. I would, however, never work anywhere I did not have a union.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,216 Times in 366 Posts
Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation

What age do you consider "mid-life"
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Hey, girlikeu2, I didn't ask before b/c it felt rude, but it really is important to any advice people may give you. How old are you (for some reasons I am thinking you are in your 30's)? How many years have you already put in the school system? Do you have any kids? Are you in a relationship where you could go to school full time in order to knock out your education quickly?

I think the above is important in decision making around this.

Cost/benefit analysis.

check yer reps!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv View Post
What age do you consider "mid-life"
Lets say I fondly recall my 30s as a time of whimsical bliss.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,610 Times in 3,973 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I did 12 years in retail management
Did 18 years in Social Service and mental health
Did 4 years in horticulture
And am now back in retail for a year
and am going back to the mental health field next week!

and am starting to learn about felting, spinning and weaving.

When I turn 60 I get to go to our university for free. I will be taking jewelry making classes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
OT is cool. I currently only work with one OT, for a kid with TBI. She seems to love her job. I agree re the applying and reapplying for years. Wouldn't be worth it.

Re getting hurt on the job, it's a risk -- though less of one -- for teachers too. And there is little recourse. I would, however, never work anywhere I did not have a union.

Martina, teacher's unions have been stripped of their power and are basically useless. I didn't even join this year because my previous 3 years I joined and was "surplussed" anyway. The district I am currently working in isn't honoring my years of experience and I am currently making EXACTLY what I made in 2001 when I jumped from private to public schools. Rent is a bit higher (and I have a kid now) so my standard of living is down. I am putting exactly $0 away for retirement right now.

I did a little salary research and it seems that if I get an RN degree (not a BSN - just the RN) I'd make MORE than I am currently making within a few years.

I understand I won't enjoy regular 2 week "holidays" (where I am often working in my classroom or doing paper work anyway) as a nurse. I think I am ready to give it up to do something I am pretty sure I will like (maybe A LOT) since I already prefer working with students with major medical issues and have enjoyed learning about their needs.

In high school I aspired to nursing but was convinced away from it by my sad algebra grade and a misinformed teacher.

I feel that if I make this leap, I am doing what I should have done 20 years ago. Better late than never.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hey all,

Love to you!
Psssssstttttt. Whispers don't do it !!!!
Be a physical therapist they make soooo much more and have much less stress

P.S. if you laughed at that statement then becoming an RN is for you !
If you took offense to the statement , nursing isn't the path .
That's our humor bc the majority of us have an out there sence of humor at times. To be honest you have to laugh or you will mentally break down from the things you go through from nursing school to the real world. The money is ok , the stability is amazing, the positions are amazing, is ICU what you may like , well no , ok maybe try ortho , urology, neurology , dialysis nursing , home health ,,,, on and on you can pick from .
The overtime is great . If you think your shift ends in 12 hrs , well there comes the situation where you pt codes and your 12 hr shift turned into a 16 hr shift .
To be a nurse is the most AMAZING, REWARDING, HEARTBREAKING, ABUSIVE, STRESSFUL , CHALLENGING , DIVERSE , BEAUTIFUL CAREER TO HAVE .
Ask Anya, tangle , always2late, all the nurses will say its all of those described words in caps