Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
durrrrrrrr

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he , him

Thanked 10,217 Times in 2,504 Posts
durrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputation
Default 14 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater

I heard about this , this morning. rips my heart out

(CNN) -- At least 14 people were killed and 50 wounded when a gunman opened fire during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

The heavily armed suspect, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, was apprehended by police in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN. The suspect was not immediately identified, though Fania said he was believed to be in his early 20s.

"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said.

KMGH: Mass shooting inside Aurora movie theater
Video: Chaos at theater shooting scene
Police describe Batman shooting scene

Oates said there was no evidence of a second gunman.

Chaos broke out during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater when the shooting began, police and witnesses said.

"We saw people running around and screaming," a man, who was not identified, told CNN affiliate KUSA.

KUSA: One person in custody

He said there was confusion in the theater when the shooting began because many believed the sound of gunfire was coming from the movie.

Oates said that the suspect used some sort of "smoke device" before opening fire in the theater.

Witnesses told KUSA that the gunman kicked in an emergency exit door and threw a smoke bomb into the darkened theater before opening fire.

One movie-goer, who was not identified, told KUSA the gunman was wearing a gas mask when he released a smoke bomb and then began moving through the theater, randomly shooting at people.

Cell phone video taken by someone at the theater showed scores of people screaming and fleeing the building. Some had blood on their clothes.

One police officer carried a girl believed to be about 9 with gunshot wound to her back out of the theater, a witness said. "She wasn't moving."

Authorities have also evacuated the suspect's Aurora apartment building after "he made a statement about explosives" in his unit, Oates said.

KWGN: Witnesses first thought gunfire was part of movie

Of the wounded, at least 20 were being treated at the University of Colorado Hospital, said spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery. All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, she said.

"They're arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.

Ten people were killed in the theater and another four died at area hospitals, Oates said.

Hundreds of police officers descended on the theater, and the FBI has joined the investigation.

"We were calling for help from every police and fire agency," Fania said.

well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit
durrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to durrrrrrrr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

First counts were wrong. 12 dead. No matter the count people being killed is just fricken wrong. Fox 31 out of Denver is running video of the FBI breaking windows at the suspects apartment. They have yet to enter since they believe that it may possibly be booby trapped. WTF is the matter with people?

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Heavenleahangel

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Femme; Earth bound Angel and Babygirl;
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Angel, as long as it's respectful
Relationship Status:
Waiting for the One who can complete me

Thanked 2,069 Times in 468 Posts
Heavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST Reputation

I've been trying to keep up with this story all day today. I am sooo losing faith in humanity and the inhabitants of this earth.
While I am devastated this has happened, some of the victims being children is even harder to bear. One family was on the news talking about escaping with their 4 year old and 4 MONTH old baby. Who brings a baby to a theater like this where it is loud? It doesn't justify being shot at! Just senseless on so many levels.
I just don't know how the human race will be in oh, 20, 50, 100 years....
Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

This just made me shake my head ~ how senseless is this? Very of course, and I feel so horrible for all of the victims of this heinous crime

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

to god we belong and to her we return. praying for the victims, their families, and the first responders.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I am wondering why nobody returned fire and be willing to defend themselves and others.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

That's really coming off as insensitive, especially since Kobi's post points out that there was a smoke bomb set off prior to the shooting. Where would you suggest the individuals who actually carried firearms would aim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I am wondering why nobody returned fire and be willing to defend themselves and others.
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
i don't know anyone who usually takes guns to a movie theater for fun...am i missing something?

aside from the practical aspects of how would you aim in a smoke bomb and would it have done much good since the guy was wearing a bulletproof vest.

this feels like victim blaming to me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I imagine it will turn out that he is mentally ill. Like the Arizona shooter. It's senseless. The only lessons are re gun control and helping people who are slipping into serious mental illness as early as possible.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
you suggest the individuals who actually carried firearms would aim?
High-powered rifles like the one the person probably used should give a clear line indication of where the target is even in the dark because of the flash. I believe citizens have a right to bear arms.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow This isn't a movie, it really happened, Heros don't always pack heat

Quote:
High-powered rifles like the one the person probably used should give a clear line indication of where the target is even in the dark. I believe citizens have a right to bear arms.
Bearing arms responsibly is also a given, responsible gun owners aren't going to go off cock eyed in a theater filled with smoke, children, families.

Thank goodness no one took their right way to far, I can't even fantom the carnage.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

i hope it's okay to post this here...one of the things that commonly happens in the wake of things like this is to talk about mental illness, and it feels like "lone crazy gunman!" becomes this trope/catchphrase. with the arizona shooting...there were obvious political implications though the shooter wasn't clearly on the left or right. it seemed somewhat ideologically motivated. there have also been other ideological acts that have been labeled "lone crazy gunman" in the last few years.

obviously we don't know what the case is here yet - if it was politically motivated or otherwise. but with people associating these crimes with mental illness, and with the cultural tropes we have about "crazy" people being dangerous and violent...i just wanted to point out how problematic that dialogue can be for people who have mental health disabilities.

most people with mental health issues are not violent. violence, even heinous and extreme violence, is not only caused by mental health issues. a lot of people who are considered perfectly sane do very extreme and terrible things. so...i am not saying this person wasn't having mental health problems...i just...hope that we (as in, u.s. society) would not jump to those conclusions so quickly and always assume mental health problems unless there's actual evidence.

i do agree that mental health services need to be expanded...a lot of my work is in the mental health field and there are so many gaps. i am not certain expanding mental health services would stop acts like this from happening. i think expanding social services for all people who are unable to access health care, food, etc. would do a long way to generally help with coping with a lot of different social problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
skeeter_01

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you!
Relationship Status:
Sleeping single in a double bed..

skeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputation

Personally I believe that not only should we pray for the victims and their family, I think the shooter needs prayers too. He must have such a torchered mind. And let's not forget his family! His parents, grandparents...I just can't even imagine how devastated they must feel....

skeet

Texting while driving is a real KILLER!!!

‎"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together...but it takes only one nut to scatter them all over the highway..."
Jeff PARAMEDIC
skeeter_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skeeter_01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

The Arizona shooter was paranoid and suffered from some kind of psychotic illness. The fact is that a very, very few people suffering from psychotic illnesses do hurt others.

Usually, they are within the first year or two of developing symptoms. Usually they are under 30 and male. I sympathize with families who have tried to get their family members help. I remember one sad story of a young man who shot a doctor who provided abortions. His parents did not know what to do when the young man started showing symptoms. They didn't have a lot of resources or information. But they tried. It is not easy for people to access mental health services in our country. When the patient is an adult, but doesn't necessarily want help, it becomes very difficult.

I read a while ago that there are always social factors as well, like drug use. But mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, have been part of the profile of a number of mass killers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Runner

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Runner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST ReputationRunner Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not American so perhaps it is my ignorance of "the right to bear arms" that would make me question how an individual could build up an arsenal along the scale that James Holmes had? Also how he could order the level of ammunition online, all reportedly legally, which he did without triggering somewhere on a law enforcement level that he may be a risk?

My own opinions as to whether one should carry a firearm I accept are a whole different thread but I genuinely ask are there no limitations?

Regarding the previous posters comments questioning why someone didn't return fire? I honestly find this comment beyond belief
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation
Default I saw this on fb and thought it interesting

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Renj3

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Renj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST ReputationRenj3 Has the BEST Reputation
Default And this is our fault...how?!

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/07/col...-liberals.html

Reading this got under my skin... How the hell could gay people, much less, liberals have some effect on some jackass who wanted to kill innocent people?! I absolutely hate when they bring us into this. Also, for the record? I'm a damn centrist. Moving on, this guy mentioned God. Right...and because obviously God gave him a message. That because of us, this damn psychopath had to go in and take innocent lives?! Are you kidding me?! Is it me or is the world just getting stupider and closed-minded as time progresses?!

We are NOT an influential scapegoat for a killer motives, we SHOULDN'T be held in such disgusting regard for an asshole's horrible actions and I certainly DON'T enjoy the fact that this may seem to come up in later issues when something goes wrong in this country, even more, this world. WTF?!

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~Albert Einstein
Renj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renj3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

this article offers another explanation besides mental illness. i think it's worth a read, although it's rather shoddily put together and i don't necessarily agree with all of it.

i haven't seen any hard evidence (maybe i haven't been looking in the right place?) that holmes had serious mental illness...or autism, for that matter...but i have seen a lot of armchair diagnoses of both conditions in the news, which i find seriously troubling. i have a hard time believing someone can just "snap" when an execution like this requires so much pre-planning. this guy was ordering guns, ammo, and chemicals to make bombs for months before he did this. even loughner (who actually does have schizophrenia) did not exhibit anywhere near that level of pre-planning.

this blog post also compares some statistics on violence committed by people with disabilities to statistics on violence committed against people with disabilities. one of the things i find really scary is that people with mental illnesses and developmental disabilities (people who are neurodiverse) are much more likely to be harassed, arrested, or even killed by the police (this happens on a pretty regular basis) because we're suspected of being violent or assumed to be drunk or psychotic when we are in public spaces and we don't look "normal." i'm afraid that jumping to conclusions in cases like this can contribute to that phenomenon.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Why would anyone suspect he was autistic?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I have to agree. It makes sense that someone with a psychotic disorder that was worsening might have a difficult time planning something for this long. Makes sense.

Still -- from some Harvard website:
Quote:
In separate studies, the investigators found that people with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia were more likely — to a modest but statistically significant degree — to commit assaults or other violent crimes when compared with people in the general population. Differences in the rates of violence narrowed, however, when the researchers compared patients with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia with their unaffected siblings. This suggested that shared genetic vulnerability or common elements of social environment, such as poverty and early exposure to violence, were at least partially responsible for violent behavior. However, rates of violence increased dramatically in those with a dual diagnosis (see "Rates of violence compared").
I have read versions of that before. There is a higher rate. Not a huge difference, but it exists. When combined with substance abuse, and a lot of undiagnosed mentally ill people self-medicate, the difference is greater.

I haven't read anything that suggests this guy was autistic except that he never talked a lot. Nothing else. What on earth would cause anyone to think he is autistic?

I was just reading about the Virginia Tech killer. It sounds as if he was autistic (undiagnosed), and he had been found to be mentally ill before the event. Reading the wikipedia article, you can't help but think that all the bullying and isolation he endured was really the cause of his rage. So sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: