Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #141
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
A cheap way to keep carbon steel knives and axes lubricated and rust-free is to use common store-bought Mineral Oil or Petroleum Jelly.

Petroleum Jelly can also be used in other ways for bushcrafting. Petroleum Jelly combined with cotton balls makes a great tinder that's easily ignited with the spark of a firesteel. And with all these sparks flying about should a romantic encounter happen, all the better....
you can use bee's wax or candle wax . good thoughts homoe
Old 11-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #142
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hunting bushcraft style..............

Throwing sticks or rocks is pretty much the simplest weapon you can get.

Throwing a heavy stick or rock with a good aim can be effective for killing small animals like rabbits but definitely not to be used against larger animals that will simply be angered by your actions.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #143
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Throwing sticks or rocks is pretty much the simplest weapon you can get.

Throwing a heavy stick or rock with a good aim can be effective for killing small animals like rabbits but definitely not to be used against larger animals that will simply be angered by your actions.
there is hunter-gatherer weaponry which uses a set of throwing sticks..if caught in the wild i would want to have fish hooks..live near a river and have a garden...i lived in a teepee on some pasture land in hawaii for a year or so ..no river but i had a faucet..a small garden and very little else.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #144
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I am so glad you enjoyed your year!

For me however just the thought of living WITHOUT modern convinces like HOT water, electricity, indoor plumbing, etc etc makes me shudder....

I can't even imagine not having a range/microwave nor a well stocked refrigerator to grab from!
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #145
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
I am so glad you enjoyed your year!

For me however just the thought of living WITHOUT modern convinces like HOT water, electricity, indoor plumbing, etc etc makes me shudder....

I can't even imagine not having a range/microwave nor a well stocked refrigerator to grab from!
it was too expensive to do laundry at washateria..i became very good(under a faucet) w a bar of soap and a rock..it's not hard life, there's a rhythm to it..i wanted for nothing
Old 11-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #146
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Bushcraft laundry ideas 1

If you're car camping, take along a 5 gal plastic pail and a new toilet plunger and wallah you have a wash machine. Remember to always use biodegradable soap.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #147
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Bushcraft laundry ideas 2

An ice chest works well for a laundry tub, and it has a lid! You can pick it up and use a bit of elbow grease to shake the suds/soap around.

I would think one of those Styrofoam ones, which would cost only a couple of bucks, would work just as well as the insulated thermos type coolers.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #148
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
An ice chest works well for a laundry tub, and it has a lid! You can pick it up and use a bit of elbow grease to shake the suds/soap around.

I would think one of those Styrofoam ones, which would cost only a couple of bucks, would work just as well as the insulated thermos type coolers.

If you're car camping, take along a 5 gal plastic pail and a new toilet plunger and wallah you have a wash machine. Remember to always use biodegradable soap.
whoa, homoe, i'm impressed..worthy options to consider. Also forgot to mention before going to pasture i camped on the locals beach on maui for around 4 mos..just a little beach locals camped in, if you weren't homegrown they'd run you off..it was cool..but way too much party there..i need quiet
Old 11-13-2018, 03:15 AM   #149
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
In bushcraft, matches and lighters are luxury, but not unheard of entirely. Other methods should always be in your arsenal of knowledge. Bushcrafters learn how to make fire from a fire drill, striking rocks to form a spark, and the use of a mirror to reflect sunlight on tinder until it smolders...

Who knew there were so many ways to play with fire.....

It’s not much good starting a fire if you can’t keep it going, so it’s essential to first collect some materials that will both set alight and keep burning. You’ll need both tinder and kindling. Tinder is what is used to start a fire and kindling keeps it burning.

Tinder
Cotton wool, paper, dry leaves, straw and dry grass, pine needles, dandelion head, jute twine fibers, alcohol-based sanitizing wipe, cattails, tinder fungus
Kindling
Twigs leaves and branches, logs, dry leaves and bark
Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #150
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
It’s not much good starting a fire if you can’t keep it going, so it’s essential to first collect some materials that will both set alight and keep burning. You’ll need both tinder and kindling. Tinder is what is used to start a fire and kindling keeps it burning.

Tinder
Cotton wool, paper, dry leaves, straw and dry grass, pine needles, dandelion head, jute twine fibers, alcohol-based sanitizing wipe, cattails, tinder fungus
Kindling
Twigs leaves and branches, logs, dry leaves and bark
good points homoe, of course if you are winter camping dry tinder etc may be hard to come by, this is when char cloth, flint, and a striker in your fire kit will make all the difference. I've never worried too much about making fire, my fire kit is major overkill but if i didn't have it for some odd reason i always carry a knife and ferro rod..Got in a habit of doing that when i lived in Alaska. Up there it gets scary cold and there is no way you will survive the night without basic prep.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #151
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Hygiene........

What Hygiene products are essentials?
Do Bring....
Unscented, alcohol-based gel hand sanitizer,biodegradable soap
toothbrush,toothpaste, dental floss (doubles as string in a pinch), cotton bandana or washcloth,unscented moist towelettes or baby wipes, quick-dry microfiber pack towel, toilet paper in its own plastic bag (or: ditch it and use leaves, snow, and smooth stones), A menstrual cup (if necessary) or feminine hygiene products and a sealable plastic bag to carry them out.

On a personal note may I suggest good old Arm & Hammer Baking Soda instead of toothpaste? Several years back when it was reported that most toothpastes contain some form of humectant, to prevent the paste from becoming dry and chalky usually in the form of Glycerol or Propylene Glycol and even tho the concentration of these ingredients is not enough to function effectively as an antifreeze, I've never used it since.

Besides it's cheaper and weighs less..just estimate the amount you think you'll need and put in a plastic zip-lock bag!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #152
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Hygeine...................

Do Not Bring....

Deodorant (smells attract woodland creatures)

Shampoo (bad for the environment)

Razors (embrace the beard, or let your legs go)

Mirrors (clunky and easily broken)

Non-biodegradable products (bad for the environment)

“Disposable” products that you’ll have to carry out (bulky and cumbersome)
Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #153
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Hand Sanitizer is a Godsend.....

Hand sanitizer is a compact and lightweight way to kick germs’ butts. Doctors wash or sanitize (or sometimes both) their hands whenever they see a new patient. Hikers should do the same after going to the bathroom and before cooking or eating meals. If you don’t, the germs on your fingers will end up in your eyes or mouth. Hikers are quick to blame trail illnesses on contaminated drinking water, but hand-to-mouth infection is a frequent culprit too. Because washing with soap and water isn’t always convenient or available, carry a bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer. This clear gel contains a small concentration of ethyl alcohol that kills germs on contact. Just add a dime-size drop to your palm, rub your hands together vigorously, and wait 20 to 30 seconds for the alcohol to evaporate.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #154
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Learn Alternative Fishing Techniques...........

The different fishing technique you can apply (depending on the body of water and type of fish you wish to catch) could be the difference between eating and starving....

Try using your bare hands or a spear if all else fails............
Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #155
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
The different fishing technique you can apply (depending on the body of water and type of fish you wish to catch) could be the difference between eating and starving....

cool...make sure to include fish hooks in your survival pack. for bait, dig for worms or if it's warm use a grasshopper (sorry worm, sorry grasshopper)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #156
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:

In all honesty and truth be told, I prefer my fish via fish n chips, in a newspaper lined basket with coleslaw and tartar sauce served at a nice fish mongers place......
Old 11-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #157
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:

I really can't feature me plunging my well groomed hands and nails nor wading into a stream with a spear BUT I guess if it was either that or starve I just might..........
Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #158
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #159
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

One made a break for it and ended up here.............
Old 11-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #160
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
cool...make sure to include fish hooks in your survival pack. for bait, dig for worms or if it's warm use a grasshopper (sorry worm, sorry grasshopper)

Thanks so much, I had no idea..