Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation
Default What does "woman" mean in a post-gender world?

First off -- much of the world is anything but post-gender, so although I am a proponant of a global persepctive, in this thread I suppose we'd have to look at the "post-gender world" with a somewhat narrower focus.

Do you use the term "woman" as part of your identity?

What does it mean to you to use/not use the term "woman?"

Does tension/discomfort exist for you in using the term "woman" together with butch, femme, queer, or any of your other identity definers? If so, why?

If you do not use the term "woman" how did you come to the decision not to?

How is "woman" different from "female" (and I don't mean in the academic sense, but in the lived experience sense).

What does "woman" mean?

What does "woman" not mean?

There are many other questions that could be asked, and by all means ask them.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Yes

It is very empowering for me and makes me feel more connected with other women.

Does tension/discomfort exist for you in using the term "woman" together with butch, femme, queer, or any of your other identity definers? If so, why?

There was a period of time when it didn't seem to quite fit. I have always been very clear that I was not male and have always spoken out strongly against male defaults for butch and been very sure about being female. As I explored my butch identity further, I was feeling butch was a gender into itself for me and that woman didn't really fit because I wasn't like other women. I didn't feel that I had two genders, so I just thought I was butch.

However, I have come to realize that was a mistake for me to not fully embrace woman as part of my gender. It actually robbed me of my strength. I am more about embracing woman now. Butch, woman, female, lesbian all fit together well for me.

n/a

How is "woman" different from "female" (and I don't mean in the academic sense, but in the lived experience sense).

I think of female as my biological body, woman is more my sense of self and where I fit in with others in the world.

What does "woman" mean?

It's hard for me to say what woman means. I think woman is what we make it to be. I think butch and femme genders both stretch and expand what woman can be. Maybe I will more to say about this later.

My first thought is man.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

No.

It's a gender definer that does not apply to me.

No.

I am a transman with a female bodied historical experience.

Hrmm.. I don't know because I never felt a need to claim woman. It may be a GID issue, however, as I felt no association or tie to "womanness" (although I did envy those that felt empowered by it).

What does "woman" mean?

Strength, power, courage, fierceness, love, hardness, softness, laughter, compassion, leadership.

Limited

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
First off -- much of the world is anything but post-gender, so although I am a proponant of a global persepctive, in this thread I suppose we'd have to look at the "post-gender world" with a somewhat narrower focus.

Sometimes

It means I am exerting my power, my space.

Nope

Cause I am a queer woman, no one can take that from me.. No one..

N/A

Female is a gender label someone decided to decide for me at birth..

Woman is what I am and will continue to be/

What does "woman" mean?

Strengthy
Sexy

weak

That is all...
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Most definately!

It celebrates what I am...a female, a woman, a strong woman. It is a sense of pride, it is a sense of being. It is also appreciating my female body parts which I think are quite nifty.

No. I have always identified as a human, a female, a woman, a lesbian, a butch......in that order. I have ever experienced anything female as being foreign or uncomfortable.....well except maybe for pantyhose.

n/a

For me, being a female and a woman is the same thing.

What does "woman" mean?

For me, it is a combination of physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual aspects of being into a unique whole.

It means not male/man.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Pretty Woman

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Trying to be true to myself

Pretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I am fascinated by how anyone could presume that any on this planet lives in a 'post-gender' world unless they never leave their house! So I'd be very interested to understand where that reality plays itself out from your perspective.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Woman View Post
I am fascinated by how anyone could presume that any on this planet lives in a 'post-gender' world unless they never leave their house! So I'd be very interested to understand where that reality plays itself out from your perspective.
I absolutely agree that we do not actually live in a post-gender world. So I used the term in a narrow, academic sense related to the theoretical deconstructing of the term "woman" that I was encouraging in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

Do you use the term "woman" as part of your identity? It is my identity

What does it mean to you to use/not use the term "woman?" Using the word woman as who I am makes sense for me. It naturally fits me. I have never had anyone misunderstand that or get confused when I use the word.

Only in here. Butch and Femme are genders for some. They are not for me. The use of the word butch and femme mean very different things to different people. Queer does fit with woman for me. As an ID I have settled on that IN HERE. In my personal life, in the real world, around people who use the words in the same way that I do - I do ID differently.

If you do not use the term "woman" how did you come to the decision not to? N/A

How is "woman" different from "female" (and I don't mean in the academic sense, but in the lived experience sense). Female for me is what is between my legs and is my sex. Woman is how I feel inside which nicely matches my outside.

What does "woman" mean? For me it means I'm an adult of the female sex.

What does "woman" not mean? For me it doesn't mean weak, restricted or boxed.
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

No.

It means I am not a woman.

NA

I was honest with myself.

Woman suggests a female that has reached a certain level of maturity.

What does "woman" mean?
Many, many things, but I will go with unlimited possibilities, as my succinct answer.

Well, it isn't a dirty word.

I tried to be a woman, and it didn't work. I tried to be a dyke/lesbian, and I always felt like I was the enemy. Once upon a time, I was a butch, now I'm a guy, and it feels right.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Do you use the term "woman" as part of your identity? yes I am a woman, by my own identity and my own individual definition.
What does it mean to you to use/not use the term "woman?" For myself it means simply...I am a woman, female, and in my case femme. That is of course based on my personal preference.
Does tension/discomfort exist for you in using the term "woman" together with butch, femme, queer, or any of your other identity definers? If so, why? One of the first things I ask when I am beginning to date someone or even talking more indepth as friends, is "how do you prefer to be called". It is so individualized but yet so simple to just ask. I try not to generalize when I use the term "woman".
If you do not use the term "woman" how did you come to the decision not to? If the person I am speaking with doesn't want that used, it's not biggie to me...I leave it up to them and try to satisfy their need in their identity.
How is "woman" different from "female" (and I don't mean in the academic sense, but in the lived experience sense). IMO female is how someone is born, their biological "type". It does not mean that is "who" they are in the inside, just the outside. Again, my opinion. I would never assume a butch wants to be called woman and again wouldn't assume they wouldn't. I just ask before I step where I shouldn't.
What does "woman" mean? to me...female identified, not how one is born.
What does "woman" not mean? I don't know how to answer that one....woman to me does not mean male identified.....

hard questions and gets me thinking a lot. I will stick to asking, always asking and doing my darnest never to "assume" what someone prefers. Lucky I talk a lot i suppose ...lol.
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I would look at it as more as something I am, but a huge and important part of my internal identity yes.

It means I'm acknowledging for myself women's ability to be, feel and do anything. Acknowledging and standing beside and with what I see as a huge beautiful force of nature that's proven it's strength and power despite and against being cast in the role of weak underdog from day one.

Nope, it has, but it doesn't for me now. As far as any discomfort it came more from outside comments about what it means to be a butch, a woman, a women's place, woman-man jokes and stereotyping of it.

I didn't for a while, this is partially why. When I didn't acknowledge it, when it made me flinch I assumed it was because it didn't fit me and was wrong... but letting go proved impossible and I had to step back and examine why it made me flinch instead of just conveniently avoiding the flinch by not claiming it... if I'm making sense.

In the end, some life experiences (as a female as a woman as a butch) that I harbored a lot of ouch and anger over I had turned inward on myself, and the further I got from woman in my head the more secure I felt... more in control and untouchable (not physically) in that sense. I've always been a strong ass peep who nothing ever touched me, but sometimes things subtly change you even when you're busy being a strong ass peep about it. Weird I know. I don't think I can explain it adequately without divulging private stuff I'm not going to do here.

Female is something you're born to... women is something you grow into, a sense of self as being part of a diverse sisterhood and history struggles, victories and losses alike.

What does "woman" mean?

Aside from gender of the female persuasion... for me a person who acknowledges and feels the word's meaning in its past and present internally and a sort of bond with those things plus...

It does not mean, weak, submissive, receptacle, possession, second class or even feminine in many cases as we know here.

Last edited by Jett; 05-26-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: apparently I'm OCD about editing...
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
firie
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

firie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Kinda, but not really. I'm a girl or more preferably a lady. Or a bitch, sometimes. I think of that Neil Diamond song and, well, I am the person that never, ever really wants to "be a woman soon." Woman, as self-prescribed identity, has and always does feel odd on me, for some reason, unless and only when I am his woman.

I don't know, really. I really don't like that Neil Diamond song. Talk about squicking.

It's feels better with femme or queer, but again, I wouldn't say that I am a queer woman, wouldn't use it. I would default to queer femme or just queer.

I don't refer to myself as a woman typically, but like I said girl, lady, or bitch, or whatever. I don't consciously in dialogue say something like, "I am a woman and that is how I identify."

I sometimes have the same issue with "female," just a discomfort. Female just feels so scientific, and patriarchal. And I don't know why other words feel better. Woman, to me, is a trope.

What does "woman" mean?

Means different things to different people. I am not sure quite what it means to me.

I don't really know. Someone said not man, but then that is my whole problem with woman. I want a new word and one that doesn't imply opposite of man in any way in its historical or current meaning. Even when reclaimed and redefined. I want a new word.

Posting here or my message will be too short.
firie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

I'm trying to follow your logic, but I can't get past the title. There is no place on earth, or in cyberspace, that could be misconstrued as 'post gender'.

I hope I'm not insulting anyone here, but I have no doubt that academics who believe they've facilitated/created/willed into being a 'post gender world' are deluded. There is no place, no language, no circumstance that is not utterly suffused with gender, and assumptions, judgments and injustices based on same.

I'm sure it's interesting to some academics to theorize about some sort of idealised world that is fully populated by people with slippery ambiguous genders defined only by themselves, and where those genders can be as changeable as the phases of the moon. That world exists in the minds of people who have been having fun making it up, kind of like a video game.

If anyone would like to remember what it means to work in the real world with men who have NO gender ambiguity WHATSOEVER, I invite you to visit me in the scene shop.

OK. It's safe to come back out, now. The grouchy old curmudgeon has retired for a nap.

Last edited by CherylNYC; 05-26-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: sp
CherylNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CherylNYC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Cheryl -- I'm not a proponent of the term post-gender, as I said above. I just used the term to frame this discussion in this thread. In this little online world we do a lot of what might be considered gender deconstruction. That's what made me think of "post gender." I'm not an academic - so maybe I misused the phrase. Anyway, post-gender is not the important part. Exploring identifying as/with (or not) "woman" is the important part.

Last edited by Heart; 05-26-2010 at 07:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm interested in hearing your responses to the OP Heart.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am a woman but I feel like I lean more towards girl, in terms of identity.

I guess I've never really thought about it (such as the question is). I feel pride when I address myself and I am addressed as, a woman. Women are beautiful, strong, enduring creatures in this world of savage animals. The word itself....woman....feels gentle and graceful and all the things I have the potential to be. I'm not sure I answered the question as it was intended, but that's what I got in shooting from the hip and not reading any of the preceding answers.

I don't have any discomfort or tension, no. Queer woman feels more natural in my head though.

Besides the obvious examples of a 6 year old being female but not a woman...woman feels more powerful to me than female. I suppose that's due to society's view of females and male privilege and such.

What does "woman" mean?

Strength, beauty, perseverance, responsibility, loyalty, love, competent, daring, fragile, ugly, weak, irresponsibility, disloyalty, hate, incompetency, fearful....it's something different to everyone on different days. I can be all of the above in a single day's time. That is, in my opinion and probably the best descriptor of all, amazing.

Again, it's in the perception of each person.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
Female is something you're born to... women is something you grow into, a sense of self as being part of a diverse sisterhood and history struggles, victories and losses alike.
Thank you so much for your post Metro, especially this part. I always think of butch and femme as hard won genders that we make our own. When I read this by you I thought, the same is true for woman. Even though it may be a default gender for females, it is actually one that we make our own too. And there can be a lot of twists and turns when you are butch or don't fit the mold of a typical woman. For a time, I felt like I was a bit on the outside looking in when it came to woman. I don't anymore.

Also, in being a woman, I feel that I am part of a much larger community- with deep historical roots and global in nature. That is a very powerful thing. As I have come back full circle to embrace the woman that is a part of who I am, that has felt very powerful.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #18
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i do.

Well, it means a continuity with my mother and with the women who i admire. On a very deep level, i have grown into myself by reading about and observing and talking to other women. i have learned to love myself through my admiration and love for other women, many of whom died before i was born. Being a woman is not just my gender. It's my history. i wouldn't be who i am if i hadn't read certain women writers or heard stories about women in history. Brave women, sexual women, smart women. i can't imagine the loss i would feel if i didn't claim woman.

No. i don't use it in combination with other IDs. i am a woman first.

Female is just a box on forms.

What does "woman" mean?
i have never had children, so it doesn't mean that to me. It is about my sexuality. i feel like a woman when i have sex. If i don't, i don't have sex with that person anymore.

It's about my body and the way i live in it. Having a period. Having some kinds of strengths and not others.

It's about beauty and comfort and warmth. i associate woman with so many good things. Grace above all. Not that these are exclusive to women, or that any woman without these characteristics is less than women. That's just what woman means to me.

i am not sure.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #19
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

Honestly I don't want to live in a post gender world. Post gender means after gender (like post ww2 means after ww2) What would we be if there were no gender? I don't want to live in a world where we are all the same, how boring. I like the big, confusing, wonderful, beautiful rainbow of all of us no matter how fucked up it can be.

It is what 99% of humanity would call me looking at me. Am I a woman Yes I am.

not much, perhaps because I don't have angst about "me" I don't worry/think about this type of stuff.

No

n/a

In the lived sense of my life there isn't any difference

What does "woman" mean?

not man

man

I fully understand that there are people whose need to question their own gender ect is driven from a deep disparity between how they appear and who they are. I fully understand there are more than 2 genders. I also understand that there are people for whom it all matches up. More importantly we all should be accepted as we are and as we grow and evolve.

Personally I like to look at things from a different angle.
We are here on this planet
We are all human
We all have the same needs for love, acceptance, and community.
We all feel that this web site is a place we want to be
We are all different yet so alike
deconstructing things can help us understand each other better
But we need to reconstruct things when we are done
To reaffirm our connections
our support for each other

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #20
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Clarification: This thread and the question it poses rose out of other threads/discussions in the gender/labels/identities forum, particularly a discussion about pronouns that evolved in the "men with boobs" thread.

Thanks to all who have answered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post: