tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation
Default 187,000 frequent flyer miles and nowhere to go

It isn't exactly that I have "nowhere to go." More like, I can't go anywhere for very long or spend lots of money. So though I can fly there free, once I get there I might have to sleep in the airport.

Not that bad, but you take my point....

So! I have these miles, and a 12yo son, and we live in Maine which, practically speaking, means it takes a day to get just about anywhere. Even with only one connection.

We have rejected NY--too expensive and too much to handle in a short time. We'd both love to hit SF, but it takes an unbelievably long time to and from there from here. Especially since AmerAirlines doesn't really "service" Portland. So we drive to Boston to get "serviced." (ahem)

Oh, yeah, I was set on Prague for the longest time, but let's get real.

Tonight, I hit upon Quebec City. Never been there, speak French, so far it looks reasonably priced and pretty cool.

But I welcome any suggestions, information, opinions, anecdotes.

Thanks. Oh, and I'm pleased to be here. ~ tap
Old 07-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

Sunshyne, her sister, nephew and myself were recently in Denver. 4 Days...not too much money spent. The Zoo and Aquarium there are both really cool. As well as the Hammond Candy factory(tour is free)...
There is also a great amusement park, Science Museum(interactive), and of course the Rocky Mountains are way close...

Don't know much about your past travels but it is a great place.
And if you eat red meet...try the Buffalo...it is yummy!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Hey.... Not bad. They have better mountains than we do. Nice vistas.

And <perk> Candy Factory...? !!!

As for buffalo, no, I saw that Bill Mumy movie when I was little. >:-)

Thanks, T.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I lived in Quebec city for a long time. Fabulous place to visit, especially if you're interested in history, as it was one of the most important strongholds in North America for a very long time. It's a really beautiful place, lots of interesting architechture, and very tourist-friendly - you can get along quite well in English in the old (fortified) part of the city, and there's lots to see on foot. Two economical places to stay would be the YWCA (not sure about the 12 yr old, but you can call) and the Motel Doyon, which is actually only a couple of blocks from the Y. They're on a direct bus line to the Old City, or you can walk there in about 45 minutes. I used to live in the neighbourhood where these accomodations are located, and it's quite safe, even at night.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm always only too happy to extol the virtues of my adopted home.

Sue
Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I also vote for Quebec City!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Don't know which airline the airmiles are with but try somewhere different, somewhere that will be both a real and genuinely different experience.

Somewhere like Belfast (Continental fly there via Newark).

It will open your eyes, and those of your son, to life outside of the Americas .... and you'd have the time of your life there too.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
It isn't exactly that I have "nowhere to go." More like, I can't go anywhere for very long or spend lots of money. So though I can fly there free, once I get there I might have to sleep in the airport.

Not that bad, but you take my point....

So! I have these miles, and a 12yo son, and we live in Maine which, practically speaking, means it takes a day to get just about anywhere. Even with only one connection.

We have rejected NY--too expensive and too much to handle in a short time. We'd both love to hit SF, but it takes an unbelievably long time to and from there from here. Especially since AmerAirlines doesn't really "service" Portland. So we drive to Boston to get "serviced." (ahem)

Oh, yeah, I was set on Prague for the longest time, but let's get real.

Tonight, I hit upon Quebec City. Never been there, speak French, so far it looks reasonably priced and pretty cool.

But I welcome any suggestions, information, opinions, anecdotes.

Thanks. Oh, and I'm pleased to be here. ~ tap
I notice this post is about 9 years old, but for the money, closeness, and stuff to do once you arrive there..... Chicago!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #8
Vincent

How Do You Identify?:
Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him,he
Relationship Status:
just me

Vincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
I notice this post is about 9 years old, but for the money, closeness, and stuff to do once you arrive there..... Chicago!
I'm wondering how many people on here have travelled outside of their country?
Travelling Aust for me is boring,I like going to other countries.
Of course now its impossible.
I was lucky to see

Italy
Greece
Ireland
England
Wales
USA "Cali" twice

I did want to do route 66,but now,it's never gunna happen,the oz dollar is worth shit anyway.

You realise that even other OECD countries have cultural differences
I also couch surfed most countries.
If Not Now-When
If Not Here-Where
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I'm wondering how many people on here have travelled outside of their country?
Travelling Aust for me is boring,I like going to other countries.
Of course now its impossible.
I was lucky to see

Italy
Greece
Ireland
England
Wales
USA "Cali" twice

I did want to do route 66,but now,it's never gunna happen,the oz dollar is worth shit anyway.

You realise that even other OECD countries have cultural differences
I also couch surfed most countries.
I've never traveled outside of my country! The only place I was tempted to travel was to London at one time.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote