Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
Ender

How Do You Identify?:
Male (trans)
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/him
Relationship Status:
Single

Ender Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST Reputation
Default What do you do for a living?

I'm almost graduated from University and I'm not getting any full-time, permanent jobs at the moment in my field, and I can't live off the temp./part-time jobs.

What kind of jobs/careers do you guys have?
(If you went to college/univeristy), did you get a job in your field? Or did you go a completely different route?

Last edited by Ender; 09-10-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ender For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

I’m a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home. Been one for over 20 years. Also do some cleaning on the side and occasionally work at a dog boarding kennel.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,931 Times in 9,910 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I hold several State Board certifications and licensures, in an variety of fields of interest; but currently, since about two years ago, my primary job is taking care of me.

ETA: both higher-Education degrees I have earned have not necessarily played an role in obtaining employment. Most of my prior work experience has been in some form or role in working with the public. I would say that in most cases, it's not what you know or what degree you have earned, but more like who you know (social capital, for example).
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I hold several State Board certifications and licensures, in an variety of fields of interest; but currently, since about two years ago, my primary job is taking care of me.

ETA: both higher-Education degrees I have earned have not necessarily played an role in obtaining employment. Most of my prior work experience has been in some form or role in working with the public. I would say that in most cases, it's not what you know or what degree you have earned, but more like who you know (social capital, for example).
"Who you know"...exactly.
I've had many careers that always spun off from some other job I had before. Networking is the art of connecting good employees with good companies.
I was blessed to retire early, and now I work more than I did when I was employed full time, but I only choose fun clients, with whom I like spending time.
Right now, my business card says I'm a PR and marketing consultant. I work with restaurants and bakeries to help them maximize their profits without breaking their always meager advertising budgets.

If people are having trouble finding work in their specific field, sometimes it helps to get their foot in the door--any door--and keep moving forward. Even volunteer work in a field close to your chosen occupation will get your face known and help you make valuable connections.
WheatToast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I was a director for many areas like IT, Performance Improvement, Licensure, and Accreditation among other things for 12 years at a Nonprofit. I resigned back in April. Best decision ever. Very toxic environment. I’m currently in graduate school so I can finally do what I’ve always wanted to do. I plan to be back working no later than November. I’m just looking for something now that is a straight 9-5 Monday thru Friday rather than being on call 24/7, even on vacation. I cannot wait to be doing something that I love and not just something I am good at.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,371 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Currently I am owner and operator of my own green cleaning business. I have worked previously as a CNA/PCA with emphasis on dementia/Alzheimer’s patients.

I also have a small “from home” organic dog biscuit making business.

I have considered both nursing and social work as careers. I have an associate’s degree in Liberal Arts and at least 20 credits towards my bachelor’s. With my mother’s recent illness and passing, I’m leaning towards returning to health care. I would love to be like the comforting hospice nurses who were SO good to mom...and to us.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Plaidandroses

How Do You Identify?:
Kinda sparkly kinda sporty...I like a little shimmer gloss with my undercut :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her/hers

Plaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST ReputationPlaidandroses Has the BEST Reputation

I will spend the next nine months trying to convince 22 children that reading and science are as fun as video games. Wish me luck! :-)
Plaidandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Plaidandroses For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a scenic artist/sculptor. That means that I create scenery for the movies, tv and theatre that you watch. My specialty is in sculpture, so I can be called upon to make anything from an excellent copy of a classical sculpture, or an amalgam of several, to a convincing rock cliff for a stunt which involves pizza loving turtles and their careening vehicle. Faithful reproduction of the historic Copacabana palm trees? I'm your gal. Soft surfaces for stunt people to land on which look exactly like asphalt? Yup. I can do that. The work is hard and our days are long, but usually interesting.

I'm a professional sculptor. I still make my own art sometimes, but I need to set aside chunks of time off to do it. After ten intense hours of producing scenery my creative moment is usually over for the day. I really like what I do, and I'm good at it, but I'm much happier now that I've come to realize something really important about myself and my profession. I have an art career in order to finance my motorcycle adventures. Artists usually finance their art career with some other form of employ, but I'm doing it the other way around. It's weird, but I'm a lot happier now that I understand this important thing about myself.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

I am a paper pusher for the State of California. Years ago, before knowing what I wanted to do with my life and having tried a number of office jobs, I was working temp at a mortgage company and found I loved the part numbers have to work and the part detective work of processing mortgages.

After 20 plus years in the private world of mortgages, I went to work for the state underwriting mortgages for lower income borrowers. I have since moved agencies and now work with grant funds to provide housing for lower income borrowers.

In a few months, I will retire from the state and just might sign up to do some temp work at mortgage companies again. Or not!

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,109 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

I'm disabled so I don't have a "regular" job, but I'm an artist and currently working on a project funded by a grant I recently got! I feel this is a turning point in my career as an artist.

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
ProfPacker

How Do You Identify?:
butch/MOC
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy/hym/hys but in circumstances like work and some other places she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,187 Posts
ProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST Reputation

I have been in human services for 39 years (did I just say that, omg) and social work for 30 years. I have worked in many settings in social work. I am currently full time faculty and one of the founders of an accredited Masters in Social Work program in the NYC university system. I love what I do, would like to retire but, alas, not this year. If I have to stay working this is as good as it gets: three days teaching and other days home or other work and summers off. Good retirement job for the time being. I am fortunate.
ProfPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
I'm a scenic artist/sculptor. That means that I create scenery for the movies, tv and theatre that you watch. My specialty is in sculpture, so I can be called upon to make anything from an excellent copy of a classical sculpture, or an amalgam of several, to a convincing rock cliff for a stunt which involves pizza loving turtles and their careening vehicle. Faithful reproduction of the historic Copacabana palm trees? I'm your gal. Soft surfaces for stunt people to land on which look exactly like asphalt? Yup. I can do that. The work is hard and our days are long, but usually interesting.

I'm a professional sculptor. I still make my own art sometimes, but I need to set aside chunks of time off to do it. After ten intense hours of producing scenery my creative moment is usually over for the day. I really like what I do, and I'm good at it, but I'm much happier now that I've come to realize something really important about myself and my profession. I have an art career in order to finance my motorcycle adventures. Artists usually finance their art career with some other form of employ, but I'm doing it the other way around. It's weird, but I'm a lot happier now that I understand this important thing about myself.
What an interesting job! Have you experimented with polymer clays for smaller jobs? You can use dryer lint mixed with Fimo to create craggy little rocks or cliffs.
I'd love to see pics of some of your creations.
WheatToast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Ive mainly had manufacturing jobs with a few office/admin jobs in between.

Right now I'm awaiting to see if i get hired to fix computers.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,841 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

My undergraduate degree is in Microbiology and I am certified as a Public Health Microbiologist, but I am not a Microbiologist.

I have a K-12 teaching credential, but I am not a teacher

My graduate degree is in Forensic Science, but I do not work in a crime lab.

I am a Quality Assurance Director for a medical device company. I ensure that our company manufactures devices that meet regulatory requirements for the US and other countries that we do business in. It's a lot of paperwork, but I enjoy what I'm doing. My education post High School is not directly relevant to the work I do today, but it showed employers that I am teachable. In my experience, it's useful to take what you learned and apply it to whatever job you have. I've worked in Research, Academia, Government, and so on. If someone were to follow my career path, they might have exited at various stops along the way.
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

As I pondered this questions I got a little... whoa, I've worn quite a few hats.

My education is Criminal Justice and Psychology so... I started in enforcement then …. Counselor, Traffic/Shipping, Inventory Control, Logistics, Retail Distribution and the last 15 plus has been in Customer Service / Sales / Call Center Management.

I don't think I'm done yet... there are a few more hats I'd like to try.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #16
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatToast View Post
What an interesting job! Have you experimented with polymer clays for smaller jobs? You can use dryer lint mixed with Fimo to create craggy little rocks or cliffs.
I'd love to see pics of some of your creations.
Yes, I've used Fimo and Sculpey for some of our projects. I haven't tried the dryer lint trick. Thanks for the tip. Are you making cliffs for model trains?

If you use Fimo and its ilk I hope you have a dedicated toaster oven for baking your projects. That stuff is super toxic and it's terrible to cook it in the oven you use for your food. I sometimes cook my projects with a heat gun and work outside when I'm using those polymer clays. One of the drawbacks to my job is that so many of the materials we use regularly are shockingly toxic.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #17
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, let's see.

I am a former Marine (from waaaaay back in the late 70's/early 80's). I got out for medical reasons and they medically retired me for these health issues. I then became a Registered Respiratory Therapist and worked for 20 years in the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. I was also a Union Steward for my local of the AFGE.

In 2014, my health issues, combined with having to have had both of my knees completely replaced in 2007 and 2008, I was forced to take early retirement from my federal job. Lucky for me and the wife, I have an ample income from the military (full benefits/pension) my Federal Employment pension and Social Security Disability, all of which I am able to collect.

So right now......I'm officially retired and lovin' life!!! I've been wonderfully blessed and I don't take one grain of it for granted, either!!

~Theo~
Old 09-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
One of the drawbacks to my job is that so many of the materials we use regularly are shockingly toxic.
Cheryl, has that affected you at all or no (since I know you are careful)? Just curious.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I can't forget my time on a pig farm.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #20
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Manufacturing for 5 years, out of HS.

Then I went to work as a CNA, worked weekends as a PBX operator for 2 years of Nursing School. I graduated nursing in 1976, worked 21 years as an ER Charge Nurse, 12 years as a Volunteer EMT, & A volunteer Firefighter.

I did a short stint with some "undercover work"...

I was medically retired in 1998!

My LTR of 10 years...we owned & I operated a Paint Your Own Pottery studio for 6 years.

I dabbled as a Open Cook in a pizza place, BBQ joint, and a couple other places.

My years in medical were the most rewarding as were my years in Rescue & Fire.

Now I just sit beneath the palm trees, do arts & crafts, about to become a Hospice volunteer, and am a proud parent of the cutest little red dachshund, named Hope. She is 10 & blind, BUT don't tell her she is...