Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 03-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default Designers, Graphic Artists, Animators: Post Your Shit Here!

This thread for musings about your creative processes, tips and tricks, and resources!

I am really revving up on my graphic design work lately and have picked up a couple of little projects to make branding kits, logos, and such.
Does anyone here work as a graphic artist or designer? Even if you just dabble, I'd love to hear from you!

Today I am all over dafont.com picking out a couple of new fonts but if anyone knows of a better resource, I'm all ears!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Aaannnnnndddd I just found an entire font file where it's nothing but flaccid penises.

My work here is done!

(Semi by Quadratype if anyone is interested)

Last edited by Medusa; 03-13-2018 at 02:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

I need a new version of Photoshop and it's clearly been a while since I've purchased a suite.
So it looks like Adobe now offers a monthly cloud access with limited storage versus just buying the program and storing it yourself?

Anyone use their cloud service? Pros/Cons?

I'm tempted just to get an older version of Photoshop Elements because I truly don't need anything fancy - Just something that I can render layers, make simple photo adjustments, etc.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I need a new version of Photoshop and it's clearly been a while since I've purchased a suite.
So it looks like Adobe now offers a monthly cloud access with limited storage versus just buying the program and storing it yourself?

Anyone use their cloud service? Pros/Cons?

I'm tempted just to get an older version of Photoshop Elements because I truly don't need anything fancy - Just something that I can render layers, make simple photo adjustments, etc.
I suggest you get something like Photoshop Elements if you’re only using the standard tools and don’t have a need to have the most-recent version. You can get the cloud service later if the limited version doesn’t work for you.

I use the cloud service. It’s provided by my employer and I use it at home and work. It’s great. The biggest advantage is it’s easy to update to the most recent version. I just updated to a 2018 version of Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator through the cloud and it only took a few minutes. (The Creative Suite app takes a while to load up when I turn on my Mac, but I think I need new system install). I work with other people who use Adobe Creative Suite and we have to all be in sync—the cloud service makes that easy.

i think the only con is having to pay monthly or yearly. I really don’t like the idea of paying monthly or yearly, but that’s how a lot of large and small software companies are forcing customers to pay to use the software.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
I suggest you get something like Photoshop Elements if you’re only using the standard tools and don’t have a need to have the most-recent version. You can get the cloud service later if the limited version doesn’t work for you.

I use the cloud service. It’s provided by my employer and I use it at home and work. It’s great. The biggest advantage is it’s easy to update to the most recent version. I just updated to a 2018 version of Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator through the cloud and it only took a few minutes. (The Creative Suite app takes a while to load up when I turn on my Mac, but I think I need new system install). I work with other people who use Adobe Creative Suite and we have to all be in sync—the cloud service makes that easy.

i think the only con is having to pay monthly or yearly. I really don’t like the idea of paying monthly or yearly, but that’s how a lot of large and small software companies are forcing customers to pay to use the software.
Another con may be that, after starting the monthly or yearly subscription, you cannot use the software without logging into Adobe using the Creative Suite app that is a start-up app on your computer.

I remember not being able to open InDesign unless the app had signed me into the Adobe site.

i would probably only pay for the cloud service if I had clients or colleagues who I had to be in synch with.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post

This is super helpful!! Thank you, Orema!!

I do think that I will just grab a copy of Elements and go from there. It seems like too much of an investment to get the cloud plan when I really only need it a couple of times a month at best.

I have never used Illustrator but I might do a trial and see if it will fit my needs. I'm getting into more and more animations, simple videos, and branding packages and have used a lot of free tools so far.

Heck, I've been able to use the Keynote program that came on my iMac for several things! And I gotta say, investing in this iMac with a 27" screen is one of the best purchased I've made in a while. I wasn't using my laptop as a laptop very much at all and now that I have my iMac at a proper desk I have found myself not only using it every single day but actually being able to SEE my projects! Imagine that! Plus, with all of the cool FREE software it came with? Super great purchase for me!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I am not sure if anyone following this thread has a need for stock photos but a good site called Deposit Photos runs a great special every year where you can get 100 photos for $49 - commercial use. It never expires, so you can download photos whenever you need them.

https://appsumo.com/depositphotos-2018

I'm using mine for ebook covers and Facebook ads.

I hope we can geek out on fonts sometime! I'm a total newbie.

I have heard good things about Affinity Photo as an alternative to Photoshop - one-time charge instead of a subscription model, although the Adobe cloud subscription is cheap and is always updated.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote