Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #41
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolveme View Post
As a result, and like Snow, I've been told, that I should use more appropriate language for a "lady" more times than I can count.

Subsequently, I've witnessed how much more free men and masculine people are to use profane terms and expressions. Further, if a masculine person does not hold to certain Emily Post-like protocols, well, s/he/hy's just being a guy. But far be it for a woman to let fly a "good goddamn" on a Sunday morning, brother. My opinion is that folks really don't feel the same about it. And I think there is a perfectly patriarchal, socially-conditioned reason for it.

Which means it isn't personal. Not one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Why are you calling it patriarchy? Adults cuss, my mom cussed often at my dad, he didn't return the favor. Perhaps it is your situation and not patriarchy at all.
I'm calling it patriarchy because I believe it is the conditions of the patriarchy (or more appropriately, the kyriarchy) that set in place the circumstances by which women and girls have been oppressed, suppressed and trained in such ways as to "groom" them (hi, Dylan) to be what is considered meek, good, well-mannered, palatable, and presentable - all so that they are more easily controlled.

What about this do you think is specific merely to my situation rather than being patriarchal?

That's kind of rhetorical, by the way.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #42
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

My momma and daddy raised me to speak my mind, whichever way I choose to.

*spit*
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

Last edited by The_Lady_Snow; 06-14-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: doggie paws
The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #43
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

I reallyreally don't need anyone to protect me from words.

One of the reasons I continue to participate in these forums is I appreciate the rawness of them. How boring the world would be if we all talked and wrote like newscasters.

As far as manners and decorum go, we all know people who have "perfect" manners and slit throats. I appreciate good manners, but I appreciate proven integrity more.

I've also noticed we've(the community "we") have gotten into the habit of referencing apocryphal posts that have existed in threads and may be taken out of context and used to prove points. For me, it's confusing because I don't know the context or intent of the mystery post. Has anyone else felt this way, or does this cheese stand alone? (rlin, I'm not calling you out. It's a trend I'm seeing.)

Last edited by blush; 06-14-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: comment to rlin
blush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #44
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Put it this way, I was never "groomed" to be anything other that who I am, not the baby stuff, the dress stuff, not the marriage to a man stuff. That is why I call it situational, and not patriarchy.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #45
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Put it this way, I was never "groomed" to be anything other that who I am, not the baby stuff, the dress stuff, not the marriage to a man stuff. That is why I call it situational, and not patriarchy.
Your first sentence is confusing. It could mean that you were groomed to be who you are, in which case, you're not leaving much room for the element of personal identity and how it might arise independent of the nurture conundrum. I, too, am a lot of things despite my "grooming." Or it could mean that despite the way you were groomed - to include your infancy/childhood, having to wear dresses, and whether or not you were married/encouraged to marry - you are who you are. Again, it isn't clear. Still, none of this - not one bit - changes the reality that women and female bodied people, and cismen and boys as well - live in a kyriarchical society and are oppressed by the conditions of that society. It effects the way we are raised, and places expectations of behavior onto us out of its power-over paradigm.

So however you, Corkey, became who you are is really irrelevant to whether the patriarchy exists and fully impacts the reality of women and girls every-motherfucking-where. It just does. To say "It's just situational," is a flat out denial of its existence, and that is seriously dangerous thinking.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #46
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Sorry going to disagree with you, I am allowed to do so. If I've confused you, well here is clarification. I was not raised to be a woman, I was raised to be a human being.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #47
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Bob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST Reputation

Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #48
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

OK Bob that was dramatic, and not really to the point of my remarks. Drive by perhaps.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #49
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Bob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
OK Bob that was dramatic, and not really to the point of my remarks. Drive by perhaps.
How exactly can you be 'respectful of femme sensibilities' when it's clear you orbit around no sun but your own?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #50
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
How exactly can you be 'respectful of femme sensibilities' when it's clear you orbit around no sun but your own?
I don't orbit around yours you mean. I am an individual and not a sheep, so just because I happen to disagree with you and e I'm the bad guy. How positively profound of you Bob.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #51
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand...
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #52
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

By all means....
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #53
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Actually, I don't get the point of this thread. Nowhere are these so-called 'femme sensabilities[sic]' defined.

In fact, I don't think there are such a thing as 'femme sensibilities'. At least, not in the context of what appears to be a conversation about basic manners and common civility. One's gender identification doesn't grant one special privileges or immunities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #54
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Actually, I don't get the point of this thread. Nowhere are these so-called 'femme sensabilities[sic]' defined.

In fact, I don't think there are such a thing as 'femme sensibilities'. At least, not in the context of what appears to be a conversation about basic manners and common civility. One's gender identification doesn't grant one special privileges or immunities.
Another place to discuss, ad nauseam, the patriarchy?

(Because we don't have enough and no one, apparently, "gets it.")

But then, I only speculate.

And await the backlash.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Mister Bent; 06-14-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #55
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

talk amongst yourselves anyway you'd like--i don't *prefer* to read ball-talk unless it's *obviously* ironic and that's not because how i do *femme*, that's because 'ball-talk' isn't clever (and that, my friends, is a fate far worse than death).

*to be fair, i have a low tolerance for tedium and anything i deem less than clever.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #56
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
One's gender identification doesn't grant one special privileges or immunities.
except, except! when the lady-time got me out of PE in high school (don't take that away from me!!!)

*and i may still try to pull the lady-card when it comes to tidying, feeding the dogs, dishes... (or anything else i would REALLY prefer E to do).
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #57
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Question

Balls...

I just had to say it again, cause who knew WHO KNEW that would incite all this... Who knew that someone enforcing boundaries would ensue all this..

I now see why Worm prefers castles made of blankets and pillows.

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #58
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

I guess I am stuck at the notion of "femme sensibility" being a lady thing that must be protected by someone more masculine than I. It just feels sexist to me. While I may be feminine and appear to be a lady (to the world, maybe to you), these are attributes of mine. They are qualities that reflect something about me. They aren't ME. I'm a small, soft-spoken woman who says "fuck" a lot. And other things which might affect your sensibilities, whatever they may be.

If I don't like how I'm spoken to, I am likely to say something. I hope you would do the same. But, I don't ask people to change to suit me. I may prefer to be in an environment where people mainly treat each other as they would like to be treated, but I don't need or want anyone watching out for my delicate linguistic constitution. In fact, the idea of it is more off-putting to me than using any particular word in any particular context. What is validating and empowering is when I am given the space to respond the way I honestly feel, and where you (the general you) show respect for what I say.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #59
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

I tend to adjust my behavior, language, etc. based on what I'm doing and who I'm doing it with. I guess I've never thought of this as some weird thing, rather as just basic social skills and respect.

Sometimes I say bad words, use more slang and end sentences with prepositions and other times I don't. And yes, it's totally based on the people involved. Not because I think someone may not be able to "handle" it or that I, in some icky, fucked up way, must "protect" them but just because sometimes it's not appropriate. I'm not going to speak the same way to a client that I would to someone here. I also don't speak to everyone here the same because I don't have the same level of familiarity. I may say something to oblivia that I would never say to Nat or something to Corkey that I'd never say to Hack. I think it's all about social skills, respect levels and appropriateness.

I don't think that I adjust my language much differently around femmes although there probably is a little bit of subconscious old schoolness going on that I'm not fully aware of. I think that's probably more of a respect thing then a protection thing, but I'll have to think about that.

I also don't think I've ever felt the urge to go rushing into a thread out of a need to defend a femme. I don't know any that can't defend themselves.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #60
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolveme View Post
Unrelated to the topic, except kinda not:

Are people generally more offended when they hear/read femmes/feminine people cussin' and a'swearin' than when they hear/read masculine people doing it? How about in the referencing of sex/use of vulgarity, generally?

I just wonder what y'all think.
I am not offended when I read it here, but I have to say that if, my sister, for instance started dropping some crude (in my definition) vocabulary, I would be taken back by it.

My parents cussed and swore alot. Mostly when they argued which was basically very often. The language could be quite crude at best. So I think for me, it triggers bad stuff. My partner has cussed/sworn and I am taken by surprise because it's somewhat rare, but, unless it falls in my crude category, I'm ok with it.

I just never gravitated to using them in conversation on a daily basis.
Kosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kosmo For This Useful Post: