PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Educators with PRIDE Unite

I wanted to start a thread where educators can share ideas, tell stories, network, share current educational trends, share how the GLTB lifestyle impacts your career and/or your career impacts your lifestyle...
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am completing my 24th year as an educator. For at the first 15 yrs or so., I was terrified about how my lifestyle could impact my career negatively. In GA., we can't unionize - I know I would not get fired for being gay...another reason would be created. However, over the last 24 years, I have made myself indispensable and have gained a reputation for being one of the best in my field - Middle School Orchestra Teacher. I do not flaunt my lifestyle, but my colleagues and admin know. My students...well - its not in their face, but they either suspect or figure it out once they reflect years after leaving my class. I, to my knowledge, have never had any negative repercussions...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

170 teachers did not receive contracts for next year in the county where I teach....smh!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

I taught at the Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for 10 years in the areas of Film Studies, Women's Studies, and LGBT Studies. I am happy to say I was out in the Department and in class. I have PhD in Modern Studies which include the previous areas. I was lucky in the fact that I could create my own courses and teach many of them with LGBT topics and perspective. My most challenging course dealt with being a Trans individual. It was especially personal because I was in the first steps of transitioning. (But that is another topic). UWM and Milwaukee in general is more open to LGBT people (than where I live now) and my time at the university reflects that. I do miss the university, Milwaukee and the people I met there both in class and outside it.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

I egt a panic call yesterday...inventory needed fro all the programs getting axed...
Well - unless they can meet me terms...not happening.
13 Middle Schools in 8 hrs...LMAO!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Is anyone familiar with Core Curriculum? Thoughts or ideas on the latest 'fix' in education?

Last edited by bkisbutchenuff; 05-12-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation
Default :)

Yayyyyy for teachers !!!!!! Much respect for you all and thank you for all you do .
When I was in the 6th grade , I had a teacher who told me I would never amount to anything and I was stupid.
She had a massive stroke a couple years ago and who was her nurse ????
me , her stupid student who wouldn't amount to anything Haha.
RNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RNguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Day 2 was much better. Cooler weather and cooler heads all around. Administration stepped up and was clear. This will be fun... I am going to relax and let the process work.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNguy View Post
Yayyyyy for teachers !!!!!! Much respect for you all and thank you for all you do .
When I was in the 6th grade , I had a teacher who told me I would never amount to anything and I was stupid.
She had a massive stroke a couple years ago and who was her nurse ????
me , her stupid student who wouldn't amount to anything Haha.
WTG RNguy! I'm always careful what I say...you never know what kind of impact it will have on them...of course, I spent the first 20 yrs growing up being told I would never be anything...well...I beg to differ...and when my Dad was sick...who did he have to rely on - who was his care taker?...'Ms. You'll never amount to anything'...

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

My caseload is growing, and I am having more typical real teaching problems. I wish there were the resources to lift these kids OUT of their worlds and show them the big beautiful terrifying world beyond for just a second so they'd know what is out there for them, if they want it.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

ACLU talking points on Schools as a pipeline to prisin

http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/s...talking-points
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

What a week...some better - but still a mess. I guess the difference between last week and this week - self resolution....I will do what I can, with what I have, as I can....everyone is now aware of the ridiculous conditions - still no chairs, Gen. music resources and MINIMUM playing time for the orchestra students, etc. .... I'm at 188 students yesterday - but growing. My admin. has made it clear that all they want is me to hold the fort down and see what happens as a result of the Super.'s resignation....
Yesterday - we lost 4 more teachers including one who is a bff of mine. She was promoted to a county facilitator and the others were placed in different schools...the man (a-hole) who created all this resigns...I was so happy to hear that and have felt it was coming...Now - if our board will not spend millions doing a search and choose someone locally who has a vested interest in our district and what's truly best for the students - we may actually salvage something good this year....either way - I still have my plan....

on a lighter note:

Hang in there...almost TGIF!!!!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

The end of another school year is beginning. We have 2.5 short weeks left to enjoy, celebrate and grow some more. At the end of the year I am leaving a building I don't like working in but some fabulous students. I've made some work and personal friends, learned so much and witnessed the blossoming of fantastic learners. Sure the "leaders" or administration of the building has frustrated me endlessly. Luckily the kids way out number the grown ups!

I can't stop smiling when I look at the 2nd graders and their grace. The determination, comfort and inquisitiveness is inspiring.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Thumbs up

One month today, at this very moment, I'll be on a plane jetting over the Pacific on my way to Manitoba for my summer break. I'm counting the days! lolol Working as I do, I believe I have a different type of stress in the teaching field. However, I don't think I have quite as much paperwork. lolol For all of us who are winding up their school year - have a great break. For those of us on the last stretch - there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! Have a great week!

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

It's over. Thank god. Mounds of paperwork AND we had to pack up our classrooms because we are moving to another site (nearby). Our registrar walked off the job about a month before the end and had been screwing up before, so the paperwork was a bigger nightmare than I gather it typically is. It truly was a nightmare.

The blessing was we had a full week to do all this after the last class. I have never taught anywhere that gave you that. But we have extra paperwork because of the nature of the work, so that's why.

It was a hard year, but a good one. Lots of successes. One heartbreaking loss.

I got recognized at the end of the year for my work with a group of students. It was during an alt ed meeting where others were being recognized too. But it felt good. I happened to sit beside my boss at the retirement lunch for a couple of staff members the next day, and she told me how pleased she was with my work. She had already given me the best evaluation I have ever gotten.

And I like her too. She was pro-active a couple of times when my students weren't getting services that they are entitled too. That's rare in an administrator. And I like the teachers I work with. I think the job is a keeper. I am just not in love with where I live, but there are summers and breaks. And I might end up moving to the coast and commuting. I am still debating it. I don't know. Someone in my chosen family just had a baby. And being near where the baby is (which is also near work) appeals.

Anyway, wow. WOW. There is no minimizing how tough the end of the year is, is there? You work hard all year, but you forget how hard you actually CAN work until June approaches.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network