Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post

Thankfully, i barely have them anymore and the neurologist did say that stress and being over tired brings these on more than anything.

Oh and deedarino is so right about the physiology of it all. It usually happens when you are first going to sleep or about to wake up. It has been studied for years and everything from epilepsy to demonology has been deemed the cause. But, i have been reassured it's just REM sleep patterns that are interrupted due to stress. Still scary stuff!!!!

So, basically if you are having them....chill out. You need rest and relaxation. Most likely near a beach.
I don't think anyone would argue against the view that sleep paralysis can be aggravated by stress and / or disrupted sleep patterns. I know from my own perspective that I have a reasonable amount of work-related stress and awake before 5am Monday to Friday for 14 hours+ of commuting and work. That takes its toll.

However, I think there's more to sleep paralysis than a simple scientific explanation - the fact that it is much more prevalent in certain cultures than others and how it manifests itself differently in some of these societies (Zanzibar being the perfect example). I think that how we experience sleep paralysis can probably inform much about our individual psyche.

All-in-all a fascinating topic ..... Although I will glady take your advice and spend some time by the beach !
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:

Tags
dreams, dreams meanings