How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I saw The Book of Eli last night. The time of the movie I wanted to see had been listed wrong. The only one still to see from the beginning was Eli, so I went to it

I LOVED IT!!!

The acting was fantastic! Mila Kunis was a big surprise for me ... as always beautiful, but her acting was very convincing as well. She played Jackie in one of my favorite sitcoms "That 70's show." I always felt that she was probably a good actress, because NO ONE is like Jackie in real life, LOL. In Eli she knocked me out

Denzel, who has been one of my favorites since "St Elsewhere" in the 80's, was great as expected, and the story had several surprises, which I will, of course, not reveal here. I'd really like to get a discusion going on this movie because it I enjoyed it on so many different leels, but I'll wait to talk about it till more of you have seen it.

I am disappointed to hear you see that Prescious stunk. I have been waiting anxiously for it to be released. With such a great story line, how did they mess it up?
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvie View Post
i really want to see Lovely Bones - it looks wonderful.
and in Feb, there is a movie coming out called Dear John, looks really great too.

:-)
Lovely Bones is a good movie. I loved it.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
LadyRain

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey You.!!
Relationship Status:
very stuck...

LadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST ReputationLadyRain Has the BEST Reputation

I read Lovley bones a few years ago. Rented "All about Steve"..I really like Sandra Bullock. Odd thing was is how much Mary is like me! Feels like someone was followin me around makin notes lol...Rain..
LadyRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
Lovely Bones - from a book. True story. Great movie.
What I read is that the author Alice Sebald used some events in her life as an inspiration to write the Lovely Bones . When she was was a freshman in college she was raped and it led her to a life transformation. She learned that her rapist had killed a victim before her. Days after her rape she saw her rapist on the street. She then reported him to the police and he was arrested, she testified against him and he was convicted and received the maximum sentance. The book and the movie have some of these themes but not all.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeeTiger View Post
What I read is that the author Alice Sebald used some events in her life as an inspiration to write the Lovely Bones . When she was was a freshman in college she was raped and it led her to a life transformation. She learned that her rapist had killed a victim before her. Days after her rape she saw her rapist on the street. She then reported him to the police and he was arrested, she testified against him and he was convicted and received the maximum sentance. The book and the movie have some of these themes but not all.
She wrote a memoir about her rape; it's entitled, Lucky.

It's quite the read.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Memoir-Alice-Sebold/dp/0316096199"]From Publishers Weekly[/ame]When Sebold, the author of the current bestseller The Lovely Bones, was a college freshman at Syracuse University, she was attacked and raped on the last night of school, forced onto the ground in a tunnel "among the dead leaves and broken beer bottles." In a ham-handed attempt to mollify her, a policeman later told her that a young woman had been murdered there and, by comparison, Sebold should consider herself lucky. That dubious "luck" is the focus of this fiercely observed memoir about how an incident of such profound violence can change the course of one's life. Sebold launches her memoir headlong into the rape itself, laying out its visceral physical as well as mental violence, and from there spins a narrative of her life before and after the incident, weaving memories of parental alcoholism together with her post-rape addiction to heroin. In the midst of each wrenching episode, from the initial attack to the ensuing courtroom drama, Sebold's wit is as powerful as her searing candor, as she describes her emotional denial, her addiction and even the rape (her first "real" sexual experience). She skillfully captures evocative moments, such as, during her girlhood, luring one of her family's basset hounds onto a blue silk sofa (strictly off-limits to both kids and pets) to nettle her father. Addressing rape as a larger social issue, Sebold's account reveals that there are clear emotional boundaries between those who have been victims of violence and those who have not, though the author attempts to blur these lines as much as possible to show that violence touches many more lives than solely the victim's.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,611 Times in 3,973 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lovely bones

I just saw this movie yesterday. It does not follow the book completely but the changes were more suited for the movie screen. I thought the way they showed the other world was ingenious and very moody and charismatic. The girl who plays Suzie Salmon is an incredible actress and she really tore open the wounds of the character so we could see what was in turmoil of the dead. It IS a chick flick but I think its a great date movie.

Many people in the audience stated they were disappointed. The marketing hype didnt match the energy of the movie. I do know this is one movie where you could NOT read the book and still get the entire movie. On a different note, I am glad they did not show her rape and murder. It would have been very hard on some people to witness on screen, what was written in the book...
Old 01-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #27
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ebert's review of The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones
After the rape and murder,
the really cool part starts

Release Date: 2010

Ebert Rating: *½

By Roger Ebert Jan 13, 2010

"The Lovely Bones" is a deplorable film with this message: If you're a 14-year-old girl who has been brutally raped and murdered by a serial killer, you have a lot to look forward to. You can get together in heaven with the other teenage victims of the same killer, and gaze down in benevolence upon your family members as they mourn you and realize what a wonderful person you were. Sure, you miss your friends, but your fellow fatalities come dancing to greet you in a meadow of wildflowers, and how cool is that?

The makers of this film seem to have given slight thought to the psychology of teenage girls, less to the possibility that there is no heaven, and none at all to the likelihood that if there is one, it will not resemble a happy gathering of new Facebook friends. In its version of the events, the serial killer can almost be seen as a hero for liberating these girls from the tiresome ordeal of growing up and dispatching them directly to the Elysian Fields. The film's primary effect was to make me squirmy.

It's based on the best-seller by Alice Sebold that everybody seemed to be reading a couple of years ago. I hope it's not faithful to the book; if it is, millions of Americans are scary. The murder of a young person is a tragedy, the murderer is a monster, and making the victim a sweet, poetic narrator is creepy. This movie sells the philosophy that even evil things are God's will, and their victims are happier now. Isn't it nice to think so. I think it's best if they don't happen at all. But if they do, why pretend they don't hurt? Those girls are dead.

I'm assured, however, that Sebold's novel is well-written and sensitive. I presume the director, Peter Jackson, has distorted elements to fit his own "vision," which involves nearly as many special effects in some sequences as his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. A more useful way to deal with this material would be with observant, subtle performances in a thoughtful screenplay. It's not a feel-good story. Perhaps Jackson's team made the mistake of fearing the novel was too dark. But its millions of readers must know it's not like this. The target audience might be doom-besotted teenage girls -- the "Twilight" crowd.

The owner of the lovely bones is named Susie Salmon (Saoirse Ronan, a very good young actress, who cannot be faulted here). The heaven Susie occupies looks a little like a Flower Power world in the kind of fantasy that, murdered in 1973, she might have imagined. Seems to me that heaven, by definition outside time and space, would have neither colors nor a lack of colors -- would be a state with no sensations. Nor would there be thinking there, let alone narration. In an eternity spent in the presence of infinite goodness, you don't go around thinking, "Man! Is this great!" You simply are. I have a lot of theologians on my side here.

But no. From her movie-set Valhalla, Susie gazes down as her mother (Rachel Weisz) grieves and her father (Mark Wahlberg) tries to solve the case himself. There's not much of a case to solve; we know who the killer is almost from the get-go, and, under the Law of Economy of Characters that's who he has to be, because (a) he's played by an otherwise unnecessary movie star, and (b) there's no one else in the movie it could be.

Here's something bittersweet. Weisz and Wahlberg are effective as the parents. Because the pyrotechnics are mostly upstairs with the special effects, all they need to be are convincing parents who have lost their daughter. This they do with touching subtlety. We also meet one of Susie's grandmothers (Susan Sarandon), an unwise drinker who comes on to provide hard-boiled comic relief, in the Shakespearean tradition that every tragedy needs its clown. Well, she's good, too. This whole film is Jackson's fault.

It doesn't fail simply because I suspect its message. It fails on its own terms. It isn't emotionally convincing that this girl, having had these experiences and destined apparently to be 14 forever (although cleaned up and with a new wardrobe), would produce this heavenly creature. What's left for us to pity? We should all end up like her, and the sooner the better; preferably not after being raped and murdered.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #28
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Bravo Ebert
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #29
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain
I read Lovley bones a few years ago. Rented "All about Steve"..I really like Sandra Bullock. Odd thing was is how much Mary is like me! Feels like someone was followin me around makin notes lol...Rain..

I absolutely LOVED that movie "All About Steve"! Sandra plays a quirky but loveable character who also reminded Me alot of Myself too, and ultimately showed Me that no matter who we are we should NEVER change for anyone. We are who we are and to be anything other then ourselves is cheating us out of giving the world something special ........... the gift of us

I went to see Sherlock Holmes last night and I LOVED it
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #30
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm watching the Golden Globes right now....and there are many movies I have added to my list, just based on what I'm seeing here tonight!!

I need a date!!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #31
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

"Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon is a must see. I saw this with my Godfather before he died. He was in both the Korean & Vietnam Wars.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #32
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

"The Hurt Locker" was good. I recommend this movie as well.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #33
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Valkyrie

Being a WWII history buff, Ive watched Valkyrie about 10 times now. Colonel vonStaffenberg's (sp) wife just died in 2006. He had a lot of courage plotting and leading the 15th attempt to kill Hitler. Great movie with Tom Cruise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #34
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Jet,

That was a good movie. I also enjoy "Band of Brothers" by HBO. Just awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #35
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
Jet,

That was a good movie. I also enjoy "Band of Brothers" by HBO. Just awesome.
"Band of Brothers" was incredible! I was glued to HBO when it was on. I really do have to buy the box set one of these days. I thought it was fantastic.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #36
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Wow! Another Biggie for Cameron

Avatar' Officially Overtakes 'Titanic'
For Global Box Office Record With $1.85 Billion

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovie...th-185-billion
Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #37
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I finally saw Avatar and loved it. I think it's a testiment to his brilliance that the two most grossing movies of all time have come from the depths of the same human being. Either that or he sold his soul.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #38
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson is next on my "see" list.

Thriller-suspense fan here.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/29...evenge-movies/
Old 01-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #39
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Can't wait to see the new Wolfman! Love Sir Anthony Hopkins
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #40
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,611 Times in 3,973 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I am boycotting all of Mel Gibson's movies. His hypocracy is fueled with self righteousness of a man who uses his religion as a judgemental weapon to hurt other people while he himself is with sin. There is a call out there for people to boycott him....and by god, my god, I am going to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson is next on my "see" list.

Thriller-suspense fan here.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/29...evenge-movies/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post: