Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Outlaw

How Do You Identify?:
Cocksure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cotton Candy Swami
Relationship Status:
Loved and Loving

Outlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST Reputation
Default Do you ROKU?

Wired or Wireless?

Favorite Channels?

Best Apps?

Cool work arounds or tips?

ie:
  • Twonky Beam, an app for Android and iOS, makes it possible to stream YouTube videos to the Roku in an AirPlay-like fashion.
  • Remote wonky? download the Roku app and your phone doubles as a remote!

Share the love!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Have been an avid Roku'er since it first came out. There is no downside, and for me the advantage over something like a DVR is a no-brainer.

I like my video/audio when, where, and how I want it. Interruption (ad) free and on-demand. My uses are pretty pedestrian really, I mostly access Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, and Newscaster.

I am currently using it via ethernet connection just due to proximity to the router, but that is about to change and I will be using it via wi-fi going forward.

The latest release of Roku 3 has enough more to it for my uses to be worth the probably upgrade. I just discovered the phone app option, when I go to the newer model I think that will be a great backup tool, although one of my reasons to upgrade is the remote-as-headphone port option. Also, the elimination of line of sight remote operation is something I want.

Great thread idea! I look forward to hearing how others use theirs.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,229 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Yes..I've been Roku(ing)....for about a year now.

I really love my Roku.

Mine is ran through a wireless router..*courtesy of my Pops*

My favorite channels...Mog...Italian, Thai, and Mexican cooking channels..
Midnight Pulp...Dog TV...The Snow Network...Wieder TV (German)...Mediafly Autos...Ted...Instant browser for Netflix...Vudu...Pandora.

I've yet to run it through my mobile.

>>Thanks for the phone tip! I did not know that you could do that.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I talked my brother into getting Roku about 6 months ago and he loves it.

I'm still saving for the one I want and will have it in time. I was just going to get the basic model because I have enough in free credit at Amazon to get it, but when I heard about Roku 3, I decide to continue saving gift cards from a site I visit regularly that gives me points when I use their browser. I trade their gift cards in for credit at Amazon. I'm more patience than I even imagined I could have

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Amante

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Going steady

Amante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST Reputation

LOVE my Roku.

Had several of them until my ex moved out, now just have the one.

Most were connected wirelessly, never a problem. The one I have now is connected directly just because it's right next to the router.

I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon (streaming/Prime), and occsionally use it for Pandora. I'd love suggestions on other stations though -- cooking channels?!?

I have a question: Is there a way to get a full list of all possible channels that can be searched by genre? I haven't tried in a while, but the last time I tried to look for channels the only option was to just look through every possible channel. I'm very interested in checking out some of those cooking channels, and would LOVE to find a dance channel that I was TOLD was available but I've never been able to find it.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Outlaw

How Do You Identify?:
Cocksure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cotton Candy Swami
Relationship Status:
Loved and Loving

Outlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST Reputation

Awesomeness abounds via ROKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amante View Post
I have a question: Is there a way to get a full list of all possible channels that can be searched by genre?
I've found this helpful for both tips and channels: Yahoo Roku Group
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amante View Post
LOVE my Roku.

Had several of them until my ex moved out, now just have the one.

Most were connected wirelessly, never a problem. The one I have now is connected directly just because it's right next to the router.

I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon (streaming/Prime), and occsionally use it for Pandora. I'd love suggestions on other stations though -- cooking channels?!?

I have a question: Is there a way to get a full list of all possible channels that can be searched by genre? I haven't tried in a while, but the last time I tried to look for channels the only option was to just look through every possible channel. I'm very interested in checking out some of those cooking channels, and would LOVE to find a dance channel that I was TOLD was available but I've never been able to find it.
Yes, things are searchable by genre, you can't really filter down but general categories are available like "cooking", "news", "most popular", etc.

Since I just went over to verify this and it has been a while since I went through things, I now blame you for having me add 20 channels while only deleting 8.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I have a roku and I love it, I got rid of my cable television and replaced it with roku for the same reasons Kelt mentioned.

Admittedly, I use only a fraction of its functionality.

I use it for netfix, amazon prime streaming and hulu plus.

Mine is hooked up wifi.

Great tip about using your phone as a remote, I had no idea.

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread for more tips and tricks, thank you Outlaw.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

I have two ROKU units and I love, love, love them. Netflix, Hulu and Pandora

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Is Closed Caption available on the ROKU channels? it's spotty on Netflix streaming, and worse on Amazon/Prime... otherwise I would have dumped the cable company already. But maybe things have improved since the last time I looked into it. Anyone know?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, grrl, piranha, monkey
Relationship Status:
captured....

Thanked 1,456 Times in 311 Posts
pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation

I loved my Roku - the Mr. wants a BlueRay that streams Netflix etc. We can't agree so neither has been purchased.

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
pinkgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

I lurves my Roku and want to get a second one for the bedroom for when SU wants to watch post-apocalyptic weirdness and I'm not in the mood. Then I could watch all the Netflix in stead of Mad Max for the bajillionth time.
maryam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maryam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #13
Outlaw

How Do You Identify?:
Cocksure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cotton Candy Swami
Relationship Status:
Loved and Loving

I've added Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, Hulu+ and a few private channels (terra, Smithsonian, woot, iTunes podcasts and nowhereman. The remote stinks, it won't sync, it will however blink methodically. I'm hoping they just send me a new remote.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
I've added Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, Hulu+ and a few private channels (terra, Smithsonian, woot, iTunes podcasts and nowhereman. The remote stinks, it won't sync, it will however blink methodically. I'm hoping they just send me a new remote.
I don't know if this will help, but maybe. I had this happen a few months ago, since I had an old remote around as a backup, I tried it, same thing. That made me think it might not be the remote. Went to the old tried and true unplug the power supply, and reboot that way. It worked for me, that was the only time in several years use of two units that it happened.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

I love my Roku. I stream wireless

I am probably not using it to it's full potential but for me using my Amazon Prime and Netflix on it is good enough
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
Is Closed Caption available on the ROKU channels? it's spotty on Netflix streaming, and worse on Amazon/Prime... otherwise I would have dumped the cable company already. But maybe things have improved since the last time I looked into it. Anyone know?
When I use it on Amazon Prime with my Roku, the captioning works well, though I'm not sure if it is available with every video.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Have been an avid Roku'er since it first came out. There is no downside, and for me the advantage over something like a DVR is a no-brainer.

I like my video/audio when, where, and how I want it. Interruption (ad) free and on-demand. My uses are pretty pedestrian really, I mostly access Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, and Newscaster.

I am currently using it via ethernet connection just due to proximity to the router, but that is about to change and I will be using it via wi-fi going forward.

The latest release of Roku 3 has enough more to it for my uses to be worth the probably upgrade. I just discovered the phone app option, when I go to the newer model I think that will be a great backup tool, although one of my reasons to upgrade is the remote-as-headphone port option. Also, the elimination of line of sight remote operation is something I want.

Great thread idea! I look forward to hearing how others use theirs.
I am most certainly upgrading to the new Roku. I am really excited about it, but have also been procrastinating about it (I may be suffering from an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ailment). I seriously only use my cable tv for football season, and I'm thinking about contacting Comcast and finding out if I can go to an only internet service. I've done this before, and somehow they have talked me out of it each time, but I'm going to try again.

Edited to add...I just called Comcast, they tried, they failed, and I am now saving $35 a month! YAY me!
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Finally have my Roku...yay!!!
But, having a problem getting it hooked up on my TV and had no problem when I hooked my brothers up at his house.
I'm not getting my screen prompts to walk me thru the steps I need to get it going.
I have an older G router, so I hooked the Roku up thru ethernet cable, I ran an HDMI cable to back of my small TV, plugged in the Roku and no prompts

I also have a DVD player hooked up to the TV and I wonder if that's why I'm not getting my prompts. I go thru the DVD player when I watch cable because I'm too lazy to use 2 remotes.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get my prompts on my TV screen? Is my router perhaps too old and may need updating?

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,331 Times in 2,662 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I can't remember the details of my minor glitches when I set up my roku, but when I called customer service, they were very helpful.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I finally bought a Roku 2 today. Still exploring and learning the ins and outs of this thing, but the best part for me so far is that I can access all of my YouTube stuff via the big screen TV now.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:

Tags
movies, netflix, roku, streaming, tv shows