Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Natural Health Enthusiasts Hangout

A little over a decade ago, I was one of the sickest people I knew and I was only in my early 20s. Thankfully, my terrible mystery symptoms turned out to be gluten intolerance and a naturopathic doctor caught it before I ended up in the hospital or dead from malnourishment.

Since finding out food was literally killing me, I've made it my mission to understand why so many people are so sick and immunocompromised and help them to find natural ways to heal.

I thought I'd start a thread for people who are interested in natural health and alternative therapies to talk about symptoms, remedies, herbs, supplements, energy healing, what works and what doesn't.

I think the more people understand about how they can help their bodies heal themselves, the more empowered they will feel and less chronic pain and fatigue they will feel.

Let's start a discussion!

Are you into natural health? If so, what got you started?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

great topic! I will be back to post another time....
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

We keep Gryph's arthritis at bay--as in, the redness and swelling disappeared and the use of his hands came back--with a smorgasbord of natural supplements. The most important are two specific brands of glucosamine/chondroitin, followed by a mix of specific brands of anti-inflammatory. The reason I mention this upfront is that we tried multiple versions of these things and only one combination worked--it took months to find the one that worked and if we had given up before we found it, Gryph would still be enduring intense pain. It was a big lesson to us that different things work for different people, and that sometimes you really have to search to find the most effective one.

So that said, here is what works for Gryph. The G/C is a combination of Move Free Advanced with MSM, and the proprietary herbal extracts are the reason this is the primary G/C. The second G/C is Flex-A-Min with a different proprietary herbal extract. Gryph takes a combination of both brands every day.

The primary anti-inflammatory is Zyflamend, which is a powerhouse blend of herbal anti-inflammatories. In addition, Gryph drinks one real ginger ale a day, with an ounce or two of black cherry syrup mixed in. It has to be real ginger ale made with real ginger in order to work; he drinks Reed's. The black cherry syrup is from Sundown Naturals.

To support his liver, he also takes a milk thistle capsule every day.

These are what work right now. Should any of them lose effectiveness--which we judge by whether or not the arthritis manifests in his hands again--we will do as we did before, and try new brands until we hit on something that works again.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
Are you into natural health? If so, what got you started?
Desperation. No health insurance, no money for doctors, no money for prescriptions, and an intolerance for common otc meds. So we tried glucosamine/chondroitin.

The way we discovered the ginger is that I adore ginger ale, and found a recipe for homemade. So I made my own syrup, woohoo! And I made my own soda pop! Wooohooo!! Annnnd it made me hemorrhage when my cycle came around, Boohoo!

So we looked it up and discovered sure enough, ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Gryph got my soda pop, his hands improved some more, and I fussed and fumed and mourned over not getting to drink my real homemade ginger ale... but really I prefer life to the alternative *wry smile* so I eventually resigned myself to a ginger-free life.

And that's how I got started using herbs for health, instead of just for taste.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

I have to agree with you, Bit. What works for you won't work for someone else. I've been my own guinea pig for years. I try different supplements here and there but mostly stick to the basics for me. And, the basics for me is quite a cocktail. I have gluten intolerance and even though I avoid gluten completely, my immune system suffered so badly, I have permanent damage.

I still have chronic inflammation due to other autoimmune issues so I have to be very careful what I eat. I'm always fighting inflammation and whether you feel it or not, when you have a compromised immune system, you're always fighting it.

Here's what I take:

Daily
  • Vitamin D - 5,000 I.U. (Severe deficiency)
  • Digestive Enzymes (Supports digestion, eases inflammation)
  • Magnesium,Zinc,Calcium Blend (Improves neurological health and supports immune system)
  • Folic Acid (Doctor recommended on account of a blood disorder)
  • Valerian Root (Anxiety - Taken about 3 times a week at night)
  • Stinging Nettles (Allergies/Inflammation)

Regularly/Occasionally
  • Psyillum Fiber (Improves digestive health)
  • Milk Kefir (Supports digestion and boosts immune system. I make it at home. It's amazing!)
  • Krill Oil (Anti-inflammatory, improves neurological health)
  • B-Complex (Anxiety and mood support)

This is what works for me. Someone else could take what I take and get very sick. My ex-partner took valerian root and hallucinated but she has a mental illness so it didn't work for her. B-complex vitamins aren't safe for people allergic to niacin.

When you're your own doctor, you do have to be very careful to do the research because certain supplements don't interact well with each other and natural remedies can cause side effects just like anything else.

I think one of the greatest things about learning what works for me is how amazing I feel. Most of the time I forget I have autoimmune issues because I take such good care of my health. I'm very blessed that this regimen works for me.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

A few days ago I was wishing for a thread like this and poof it appears!

Thanks for reading my mind!

I work with people around holistic nutrition and have been using alternative therapies all of my life.

Great thread.

I will be back when I am not so tired.

~ Sun

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
LoyalWolfsBlade

How Do You Identify?:
Pre-Op FtM,
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones plz
Relationship Status:
Single but haven't given up on finding the One

Thanked 9,646 Times in 3,123 Posts
LoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST ReputationLoyalWolfsBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I use Magnesium for Migraine prevention however I am of the believe of combining holistic with western meds and most of what I concentrate on is energy or for lack of a better word mind work.

I use a lot of guided imagery for anxiety and stress relief. Not just meditation because I find that does not work for me but actual guided imagery. Either to a recorded cd and someone else is guiding it or I can actually do it Myself.

I also use muscle relaxation technique to help with pain and to help put me to sleep but my insomnia gets so bad that does not always work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoyalWolfsBlade For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

No problem, Sun. *laughs*

I do energy work myself. The first time I ever had a Reiki healing, I knew I wanted to be trained. I was attuned to Reiki level I a few years ago and plan on getting my second attunement next weekend. I'm very excited! I want to be more than just a "cyberhealer", giving people health advice on my blog. I want to really be a hands-on healer who helps others. It's what I've wanted to do for a very long time.

Energy work is very powerful. I'm amazed at how many other people are into it when you ask them. It's just not something many people just up and start talking about for fear of ridicule and rejection unfortunately. Imagine that? A society where people have to hide their desire to make the world a better place.

**sighs and shakes head**
Old 01-24-2018, 01:41 AM   #9
ardentfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Fierce Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
~daydreaming~

ardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputationardentfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I love this thread!

I'm trying to help my aunt with her thyroid issues right now, and one article I read said that drinking tea with fresh thyme improves thyroid function.

Does anyone know if that's true?

If anyone knows of any herbs that are good for the thyroid, please let me know. <3
ardentfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ardentfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #10
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Ma chérie, a sweet thing.
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:
Following the scent of flowers.

Amulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardentfemme View Post
I love this thread!

I'm trying to help my aunt with her thyroid issues right now, and one article I read said that drinking tea with fresh thyme improves thyroid function.

Does anyone know if that's true?

If anyone knows of any herbs that are good for the thyroid, please let me know. <3
Hi Ardent. I'm posting this link to a functional Medicine Doctor who is really well known for her approach to all things auto-immune and thyroid. Her web site has a lot of free videos events etc. Lots of helping info

https://www.amymyersmd.com/thethyroidconnection/
Amulette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holistic, home remedies, homeopathic, natural health, nutrition