Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 07-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #161
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,311 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Before Marie Kondo came up with the "Does it spark joy?" criteria for whether to keep or throw something out, I was pruning my belongings for things that gave too much weight to my footprint.

I have always moved often, which was another motivating factor in trying to be conscious about what I hold on to.

That said, I only allow myself to keep poetry and reference books.

I buy three or four books of poetry a month and constantly go through my shelves, reassessing the impact of the books there.

(I do the same with every other class of objects I own.)

Recently I've been focusing on Black women poets. I'm reading Marilyn Nelson, Lynne Thompson and a recent anthology of the work of Pat Parker.

I have a stack of poetry collections by my favorite reading chair and put narrow post-its on the pages with work that really gets to me, before I put them alphabetically on the shelf.

I know this sounds very nerdy. But it feels good.

When I was in grad school and lived with a lover, I came home once to find she had consolidated our libraries; alphabetized all our books together.

I knew she meant it as a gesture of commitment to our shared home, but I had mixed feelings

I'm like that Jill Clayburgh character who says, when her lover imagines their old age together, teeth in the same glass by the bed — "I want my own glass."
Old 09-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #162
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,585 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #163
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #164
akiza

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
khaleessi lol ^-^ just go with aki,ana,kit or princess
Relationship Status:
single

akiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputation

i've gotta say that my list of black authors is kinda poor ne i know some classics one but still not enough 😕 someone has names to give me?
akiza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akiza For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #165
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiza View Post
i've gotta say that my list of black authors is kinda poor ne i know some classics one but still not enough 😕 someone has names to give me?

For fiction I can recommend Barbara Neely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #166
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Old 10-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #167
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 33,964 Times in 8,543 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
These are some of the Black writers I've read in the last 10 years.
– Roxane Gay
– Ta-Nehisi Coates
– Michel Alexander
– Isabel Wilkerson
– Charles M. Blow
– Samuel R. Delany
– Angie Thomas

And you can never go wrong with
– bell hooks
– Audra Lorde
– Octavia Butler
– Toni Morrison
– James Baldwin
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #168
Stone-Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 8,395 Times in 2,598 Posts
Stone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST Reputation
Default A girl you should date

A girl you date may be into brail books that you can't read but you can ask her to read to you. I love books but there is much more to a woman than her reading skills. I would date a woman who is kind, understanding, loving and honest and be thankful for the rest.
Stone-Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stone-Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 07:38 PM   #169
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,368 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
i've gotta say that my list of black authors is kinda poor ne i know some classics one but still not enough �� someone has names to give me?
James McBride
Jericho Brown (poetry)
Jesmyn Ward
Colson Whitehead
N.K. Jemisin
Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #170
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,368 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I would be bored if I dated someone who didn't read. I have a friend with an autoimmune disease that affects his concentration. He doesn't read anymore. But when he was young, he read everything. He will always have that.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #171
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 33,964 Times in 8,543 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

One of the things I miss when not dating/partnering with a reader is reading aloud to each other in bed. Haven’t done that in ages.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #172
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #173
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
One of the things I miss when not dating/partnering with a reader is reading aloud to each other in bed. Haven’t done that in ages.
This is not what you have in mind but I find it, um, interesting.

I just discovered a new Audible feature called “plus“ that started last August, I may just be the last one to find it. Anyway it is a very large library of books that you can use at no cost for as long as you have your membership. (You have to be a member) I found that they have a large collection of fiction which is something I rarely purchase, that I can just listen to for free. They seem to have a large selection of LGBTQ fiction.

Bedtime stories, jest sayin’
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #174
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #175
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:01 PM   #176
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,641 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

. . . your favorite poetry to you.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #177
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Old 05-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #178
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Don't be like them dumb boys!

Don't be like them dumb boys!
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 10:28 PM   #179
Stone-Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 8,395 Times in 2,598 Posts
Stone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Girls you should date

I agree with you for sure moe. Each special day (birthday/xmas) I give the little one some kind of book according to age. I read to her when I visit and she always asks me to. She will be 5 this July so I need to find something more age appropriate. When she gets old enough to truly understand the value of books she can share mine of which I have well over a hundred on my 6 book shelves.
Stone-Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stone-Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #180
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post

Don't be like them dumb boys!
This post originally contained a photo with the quote by Marilyn Monroe!

“Boys think girls are like books, If the cover doesn't catch their eye they won't bother to read what's inside.”
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post: