Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default SMOKERS... LETS KICK the HABIT!!

It's time we start to HELP each other and KICK this NASTY habit!!

I've smoked since I was about 12 years old. Taking my first puff at around 10. I've been smoking daily since about 16. I've tried many things, the patch, that nasty gum, and even cold turkey. OMG I nearly killed myself. I've quit a few times for more than 2 yrs. But some how it rears it's ugly head and I pick it up again.

Today I received in the mail my ProSmoke e- cigarette's. I hope to at least cut out the "smoke" from my lungs and start cutting back with the e-cigarette's. Here in MN we can't smoke in the bars so this is an alternative to that too.

Right now I'm just looking to get use to these and not buy cigarettes any more. They come in different mg's. I started with the second highest 25mg. Then after I go threw what I have I may be able to cut down to a smaller dose.

What is your remedy??? Or Your Game plan?
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
moonfemme

Default I am here for you

Strappieeeeee so proud of you, good luck :~)

Anyone needing a personal cheerleader... I am your Femme, it's hard but if you can get to the three day hump and then a week and the next... I will be here to SUPPORT you...
Just think of the extra time you get to be here with the ones you love... all because you made a choice to better your life, extend your life, what an AWESOME choice :~)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I have never been a smoker. I have a friend that told me what she did to stop smoking. She said, instead of doing it cold turkey, allow yourself less and less over time. Of course it takes will power and determination, but it sounds like a good method. Buy a pack and leave 15 in the pack for a week or so. Then next pack take it down to 10 for a bit and so on. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfemme View Post
Strappieeeeee so proud of you, good luck :~)

Anyone needing a personal cheerleader... I am your Femme, it's hard but if you can get to the three day hump and then a week and the next... I will be here to SUPPORT you...
Just think of the extra time you get to be here with the ones you love... all because you made a choice to better your life, extend your life, what an AWESOME choice :~)
What I've found is that with in those 3 Days is truly the hardest. I so agree with you Moonfemme. I was also told my a Doctor friend that the nicotine burst/attack last for 10 minutes till you have another nicotine burst. I have had major anxiety every time I quit. Thus making me bounce off the walls and can not concentrate at all. For me this was good in one way, the anxiety made me so high strung I lost weight because I couldn't stop moving.

I'm hoping the e-cigarette's help with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrose View Post
I have never been a smoker. I have a friend that told me what she did to stop smoking. She said, instead of doing it cold turkey, allow yourself less and less over time. Of course it takes will power and determination, but it sounds like a good method. Buy a pack and leave 15 in the pack for a week or so. Then next pack take it down to 10 for a bit and so on. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Diamondrose,

That is great advise.

I've done that many times, it just hasn't worked for me. I know for some people it can work but for someone (me) that has smoked for this many years and smokes a pack a day sometimes more sometimes less.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck and you are indeed doing something very special for yourself!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post
What I've found is that with in those 3 Days is truly the hardest. I so agree with you Moonfemme. I was also told my a Doctor friend that the nicotine burst/attack last for 10 minutes till you have another nicotine burst. I have had major anxiety every time I quit. Thus making me bounce off the walls and can not concentrate at all. For me this was good in one way, the anxiety made me so high strung I lost weight because I couldn't stop moving.

I'm hoping the e-cigarette's help with that.
There were some great posts....somewhere....it escapes me now....about how folks felt when they quit smoking. I think it was Gayla who said that she didn't know who she was without ciggies. It brought on fear.

You've been smoking for a loooooong time. I would wager that it's a similar situation with you, subconsciously. You'll have to get to know yourself as a non-smoker and that is someone you don't know now.

I'm not a smoker. My mom and her two-fisted chain smoking ways fixed that. My honey smoked though. He quit this year and I'm so very proud of him. He'd tried before without success until he was ready to quit. Everything lined up for him. He set his mind to it and his body was ready (the ciggies actually began to make him nauseous) and he had emotional support (me!) lined up. Trifecta!

It's good that you are seeking support and I wish you the very best in quitting.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

as a non smoker with very chronic lung issues I THANK YOU!!!!

Good luck Strappie!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I have bad asthma so good luck on your journey you can do it!!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck buddy! I know how hard it is to quit.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbutch View Post
Good luck buddy! I know how hard it is to quit.
Dude it is so hard as you know. I am so proud of you for quitting... I guess we won't be meeting down stairs for a smoke in Little Rock.. Now it will have to be for a beer!! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I stopped smoking, that was how I quit. I became a non-smoker last year. I miss smoking, but my lungs are much happier.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

I'm in... I've been cutting back, in preparations of quitting. I've went from almost 3 packs a day to about half a pack. I've been stuck there for a couple weeks. I've been using an app on my phone that tracks how many, how often, and how much $. Just seeing those running totals makes me pay a lot more attention. I try to view the how often, and beat my time...lol. I'm a visual person, so "seeing" results is more helpful to me. Hopefully soon I can progress on to patches or something if need be. It's just kinda stressful this time of year for me, so it will probably be after the holidays before I take the next step.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
I'm in... I've been cutting back, in preparations of quitting. I've went from almost 3 packs a day to about half a pack. I've been stuck there for a couple weeks. I've been using an app on my phone that tracks how many, how often, and how much $. Just seeing those running totals makes me pay a lot more attention. I try to view the how often, and beat my time...lol. I'm a visual person, so "seeing" results is more helpful to me. Hopefully soon I can progress on to patches or something if need be. It's just kinda stressful this time of year for me, so it will probably be after the holidays before I take the next step.
Dixie... that is awesome!!! My biggest problem is doing something with my hands.. now if I had a gf I wouldn't have to worry about that, I get tired of myself.. lol

Good Luck... !!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Hows Strappie and anyone else not smoking today??
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Okey Dokey Artichokey, If the E cig works for you.. I'll invest. Do they sell em bourbon dipped?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation
Default quit

Quote:

I've smoked since I was about 12 years old. Taking my first puff at around 10. I've been smoking daily since about 16. I've tried many things, the patch, that nasty gum, and even cold turkey. OMG I nearly killed myself. I've quit a few times for more than 2 yrs. But some how it rears it's ugly head and I pick it up again.

Today I received in the mail my ProSmoke e- cigarette's. I hope to at least cut out the "smoke" from my lungs and start cutting back with the e-cigarette's. Here in MN we can't smoke in the bars so this is an alternative to that too.

Right now I'm just looking to get use to these and not buy cigarettes any more. They come in different mg's. I started with the second highest 25mg. Then after I go threw what I have I may be able to cut down to a smaller dose.

GOOD FOR YOU STRAPPIE!!!!!!!! I have read about addicts who said they quit their drug addictions including Meth and cocaine but the hardest one was smoking cigarettes, most could not kick the habit. According to readers digest if you are going to go cold turkey, the best time to do it is on a Sunday afternoon. You have a 65 percent better chance of sticking to it if you do it on a Sunday afternoon. Also a good tip , you can't quit something that you're addicted to without replacing it with something else, if you want to be sucsessful. The human brain doesn't handle self-denial very easily. So if you want to quit a bad habit replace it with a good one. Everytime you have an urge instead of smoking go for a walk, or start cleaning the bathroom. And what ever you chose to take the place of the bad habit, when the urge hits you, instead of saying oh God I need a smoke say to yourself, Oh God I need to go for a walk or I need to clean my bathroom, whatever the replacement is. It changes your thought process. If you crave something and never get it, after awhile you will crave it less and less, doesn't mean it goes away , it just gets easier. And good luck, you can do it, lots of people have. Look at all the money you will save.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Strappie, Best of Luck to you. My game plan for you is to keep you in my thoughts/prayers about your desire to live cigarette free. I too smoked for many years when I was younger. I think for me it was part of the "image thing." The problem with that was physical health risks and I could not live

in a bar 24/7 as a young person trying to find community, friends and women of course.

For me when I gave up drinking and drugs of any kind many years ago, I had to stop going to clubs where I did the bulk of my partying. It helped to create a entire new set of activities, and some new friends with common goals.

Back to the cigs, I don't know how it is in MN but out here on the left coast, marijuanna smoking seems to be more acceptable than cigs. Cigarette smokers are becoming less and less. I have not been a daily smoker in years but my thing was to have a ciggy when I go out to a club or some sort of fundraising event. I have not had a cig since the B-F Holiday Dance held at the beginning of this year. The last time I was out with a group of people just chatting and hanging out on a Friday night about 4 weeks ago, there were no cigs for me. I belive I am done.

I have some other ideas that might help you quit, if you are interested send me a pm or call. Again, Best of Luck Strappie.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
Hows Strappie and anyone else not smoking today??
Well here is the deal.. I'm still smoking... What I'm doing is trying to cut back on the "real" cigs. and changing over to the e-cigarette and in time hopefully cutting that out as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post: