Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Butch Zone

The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
All right SPA. I am single.

bonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputation
Default fromance? or ????

I have been thinking of the strong attraction that many butches have to the term "bromance," and the strong (obsessed?), unique (querky?) friendships that butches have that fall under this heading.

Girls/women/females/ladypeople are known for their friendships with other Girls/women/females/ladypeople of course, but I haven't heard a term equivalent to "bromance" referring to the strong (obsessed?), unique (querky?) friendships between femmes.

Because I love words, I started playing around with possibilities...starting with the combined ideas of "sister" and "romance" as lateral to the ideas of "brother" and "romance" embedded in the term bromance. I came up with
1) sistahmance
2) sistomance
3) sismance
4) stromance (kinda a stretch)
5) sistmance

I basically thought, "blech," about these choices. None of them flow off the tongue like bromance. So then I thought about fromance, "F" for femme, plus the romance.....It flows.

Well then, beyond a simple word....do we have "fromances?" How are they similar or different from bromances? How is a fromance different from a girl-friendship with a girl/woman/female/ladyperson who is not a femme? How do fromances nurture us? Are fromances ever difficult? Painful?

Just curious about you all, no right or wrongs...what say you???

bonne
bonne-maman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

ok so this is not a hair convo
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

oops femme forum- my bad
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

bitchmance
shopmance
shoemance (my favorite bonding over shoes)
domance (love of hair)
girlmance
homomance

SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

bonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
ok so this is not a hair convo
*laughin*

oops. hadn't thought of that usage....I do have some big love for the Fro though.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

First, thank you, dear bonne, for including me & my kind in the mix (ladypeople). I feel so...accepted. *sniff*

Next, "fromance" is absolutely ridiculous. Which is why I like it. We all have our femme crushes. It's how we express that little extra affection to those that we adore/relate to/respect/admire/think are smart/etc.

And they're different than our friendships with straight girlfriends because we share the experience of being queer femmes. (Provided this is how we choose to identify.)

The difficulties and quirks are no different than with any friendships, I think. They are as specific to the friendship as the individuals. All friendships bear their share of struggles sometimes. Some flounder, some fail. Most, thankfully, last and grow with time. Our shared experiences forge a stronger bond between us.

So, I'm all for fromances. Poly-fromances. We should have them as often and as much as possible.
evolveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolveme View Post
First, thank you, dear bonne, for including me & my kind in the mix (ladypeople). I feel so...accepted. *sniff*

Next, "fromance" is absolutely ridiculous. Which is why I like it. We all have our femme crushes. It's how we express that little extra affection to those that we adore/relate to/respect/admire/think are smart/etc.

And they're different than our friendships with straight girlfriends because we share the experience of being queer femmes. (Provided this is how we choose to identify.)

The difficulties and quirks are no different than with any friendships, I think. They are as specific to the friendship as the individuals. All friendships bear their share of struggles sometimes. Some flounder, some fail. Most, thankfully, last and grow with time. Our shared experiences forge a stronger bond between us.

So, I'm all for fromances. Poly-fromances. We should have them as often and as much as possible.
I guess I might have a little fromance crush on you e, as I did put the ladypeople reference in there just for you. Where is the heart smiley dammit!?

I like your list of the many ways we like other femmes, "adore/relate to/respect/admire/think are smart." The things that lead us to love, lurve, lurph other femmes. The things that make it seem like some sort of romance. I was just going to type "non-sexual," but I am sure, as diversity is one of the few things in life that is assured, that sometimes fromances include things of a sexy nature, for some of us.

I have benefitted so much in the last couple of years from online fromances and real time also. I have had such deep curiosity and desire to know some femmes, to know everything I can possibly know about them. How they think, how they have relationships, how they have sex, how they wear clothes. How they walk, talk, flirt, how they feel about themselves, how they came to their femmeness. All of this and more.

And, it is ridiculous, , <---- I am overusing this smiley. Sigh.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

First of all, the word 'bromance' is made up not only with the obvious prefix 'bro', but you'll see the word 'man' in there too. So to offset this I think you need the word 'wo', as in 'woman', hence 'womance'. (like Elmer Fudd saying romance). And if both chicks are super hot, I'd call that a 'whoamance'.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My BFF is my Sissy.....that's what we call each other.....

I have an ATL Sissy, too.....that's just what I use. It works for me.....

I love my Sissies..... <3

~Diva

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne-maman View Post
I guess I might have a little fromance crush on you e, as I did put the ladypeople reference in there just for you. Where is the heart smiley dammit!?

I like your list of the many ways we like other femmes, "adore/relate to/respect/admire/think are smart." The things that lead us to love, lurve, lurph other femmes. The things that make it seem like some sort of romance. I was just going to type "non-sexual," but I am sure, as diversity is one of the few things in life that is assured, that sometimes fromances include things of a sexy nature, for some of us.

I have benefitted so much in the last couple of years from online fromances and real time also. I have had such deep curiosity and desire to know some femmes, to know everything I can possibly know about them. How they think, how they have relationships, how they have sex, how they wear clothes. How they walk, talk, flirt, how they feel about themselves, how they came to their femmeness. All of this and more.

And, it is ridiculous, , <---- I am overusing this smiley. Sigh.
Well, Miss Bonney, I too have felt the flitters of the femmemance. I mean, you have been arrested like sooo many times.

Hawt.

And for reasons of Protest. Social Justice. Social Responsibility.

Super Hawt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Her View Post
First of all, the word 'bromance' is made up not only with the obvious prefix 'bro', but you'll see the word 'man' in there too. So to offset this I think you need the word 'wo', as in 'woman', hence 'womance'. (like Elmer Fudd saying romance). And if both chicks are super hot, I'd call that a 'whoamance'.
Um. I nominate Ben-Her's suggestion.

Win.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

I have to SHARE you?

Ok fine. I just can't quit you.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Ben, you are a mystery. Because you refer to me, or femmes, as "you" in your post I thought you might be butch, so I went to your profile to check (I am endlessly curious), and see that you're not tellin. You sly dog. I do like that you brought out man in bromance, and woman in womance, and very much like the Elmer Fuddiness of womance. Hmmm....
*considering what my favorite term is thus far*
Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Well, Miss Bonney, I too have felt the flitters of the femmemance. I mean, you have been arrested like sooo many times.

Hawt.

And for reasons of Protest. Social Justice. Social Responsibility.

Super Hawt.
I can't help it. I love being carried around by big muscley people.

Quote:
Um. I nominate Ben-Her's suggestion.

Win.
I have a fondness for womance as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
I have to SHARE you?

Ok fine. I just can't quit you.
Super, are we in a polywomance with e?
I am so far away I guess I cannot be the primary.

(is that what it's called? I am not up on poly-lingo too good)
Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Ladieeeeeepeoples,

Don't fight.

There's plenty to go around.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne-maman View Post
Super, are we in a polywomance with e?
I am so far away I guess I cannot be the primary.

(is that what it's called? I am not up on poly-lingo too good)
Quote:
Ladieeeeeepeoples,

Don't fight.

There's plenty to go around.

Night vision goggles at the ready!

Whoaaaaaaaaamance.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

And if you ain't gettin enough you need mo'mance.

And if you ain't got nobody you got no'mance.

And if you're needy and clingy you got no chance.

Last edited by Hudson; 11-09-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: i ain't looksist
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #18
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post

Night vision goggles at the ready!

Whoaaaaaaaaamance.
"Whoamance," the goofy state butches devolve into when observing intelligent femmes talking about their womances.
*waving into Mr. Ant's goggles and rolling eyes*
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:

And if you're needy and clingy you got no chance.
I am the OP and I approve of this post.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #20
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:

And if you're homely you got no chance.
Somebody rep this.

Stat.

ETA: it was edited. Hmp.