StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,484 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation
Default it was funny......

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/143915371X/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link"][/ame]
Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #902
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,484 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation
Default about to start reading this.......

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/B00509COIW/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link"][/ame]
Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #903
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Rereading to ground myself before the season...

Unplug the Christmas Machine

By Jo Robinson & Jean Coppock Staeheli
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #904
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I finished The Girl Who Played with Fire a while ago and loved it and I am now at 56% of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

I am reading it slowly since I know it is the last one of a great series.

I have also watched the first two movies and I am waiting until I finish the book to watch the third one. I must say though, that the movies don't do the book justice, but then again, few do.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #905
Sparx1_1
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Bullied and silenced
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Timed-out - Deliberate abuse of site resources in public user notes and profile.

Sparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST ReputationSparx1_1 Has the BEST Reputation

I'm re-reading a cute series that starts with "Several Devils" and then will be reading the next in the series "The Average Of Deviance"
Sparx1_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparx1_1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #906
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

i'm halfway through dan brown's - the lost symbol
i've had to force myself this far
it's a lot of - actually in ancient times this meant that
followed by - i thought that was just a legend
followed by - the book version of a tv clip episode
followed by - a chase
and repeat
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #907
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonaderspeisung View Post
i'm halfway through dan brown's - the lost symbol
i've had to force myself this far
it's a lot of - actually in ancient times this meant that
followed by - i thought that was just a legend
followed by - the book version of a tv clip episode
followed by - a chase
and repeat
I agree. I was really disappointed with this book. It took me forever to get halfway through then I just gave up on it. It makes for a great paper weight on my night stand.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #908
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
I agree. I was really disappointed with this book. It took me forever to get halfway through then I just gave up on it. It makes for a great paper weight on my night stand.
maybe i'll cut my losses and start on the stieg larsson books
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #909
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading "Tools Matter For Practicing the Spiritual Life" by Mary Margaret Funk. I too borrowed this from R. as I'm learning about my own spiritual journey and read "Thoughts Matter" first, it was a great read, I highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning about becoming balanced in their thinking about life in general. If you do want to read these books, read Thoughts Matter first.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Matter-Practicing-Spiritual-Life/dp/0826416551/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319069462&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Matter-Practicing-Spiritual-Life/dp/0826416551/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319069462&sr=1-1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Matter-Practice-Spiritual-Life/dp/0826411649/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319069900&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Matter-Practice-Spiritual-Life/dp/0826411649/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319069900&sr=1-1[/ame]

The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #910
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

I tried really hard to read Steig Larsson, and couldn't get through the first couple of chapters of the first book. Then I tried the movie and didn't make it past the rape scene that happened pretty early on. I keep hearing about how great the series is, but I just couldn't do it. I guess I have weird taste in books.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through my second reading of Terry Pratchett's new book, Snuff. It's fantastic. I love Sam Vimes. If it were still possible to be a Sam Vimes-style copper, I would have stuck with my law enforcement degree.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SecretAgentMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #911
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,619 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I have read Steig Larsson’s “The Girl Who…” series and I agree that the first one “The Girl Who Played With Fire” was very difficult to get into, but once I managed to get past all the history and hard to keep track of names, it was a pretty fun ride.

Right now I'm reading Terry Pratchett and will continue to do so until I've read everything he's written. In between and during I have read lately:

Bottle Rocket Hearts
by Zoe Whittall
Interesting, pleasant little read.

The Strain
Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.
It was okay but I kept thinking they wrote this with the movie they planned to make in mind. However I will read the next in the series.

The Passage
Justin Cronin
I’ve read comparisons to “The Stand” made by reviewers of this book. I think it is definitely worth a read, and since it is a trilogy I look forward to the other two books. But it’s not equal to “The Stand” in my opinion.

Robopocalypse – it was okay.
Daniel H. Wilson

I thought I might reread A Confederacy of Dunces next. Just to see what I would think of it today. It cracked me up when I was younger.

I also think I will reread Clive Barker’s stuff like Imajica, The Great and Secret Show and Everville.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #912
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I have been struggling through:

Relentless(Dominion Trilogy #1)
by Robin Parrish

But have opted to begin to re-read the Christopher Paolini series in preparation for the new book release...

I have downloaded:

Eragorn
Eldest
Brisingr

and am waiting patiently for Nov 8, 2011 to download his new book:

Inheritance

I love his style of writing and am so excited to have another book to look forward to!
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #913
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Oh, I should have posted this instead of my previous post:

I am an excellent student and never, ever neglect my academic reading in favor of my fun reading. So I am currently reading:

The World's Religions by Huston Smith (for Philosophy of Religion)
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex (for Human Sexuality)

I am definitely not way behind on either of these books. Really. I promise.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SecretAgentMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #914
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

crap, I didn't notice that there is a more active thread about books (this one).

now I take back my comment about "what, has nobody read anything in over a year?"

I just finished Last Night In Twisted River this morning. It's very John Irving, which means that I loved it.

When I say "It's very John Irving" I don't mean that it has bears, wresting, running, New England, Canada, and transgressive women....although it does have all of those things. I'm talking about the voice.

The thing that I love the most about his books is the way he starts his stories in the middle and jumps back and forth in time through the entire novel. Since I've started reading him I can't hardly make my way through a book that is mostly chronological.

Currently I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. I'm only a chapter in so far, but I think I'll enjoy it. The author's voice reminds me of Gregory Maguire - although maybe it's really just the subject matter that's bringing me there. I can't wait to have a couple of days off so I can devour it.

Next up is The Sisters Brothers. It's on my bedside table waiting for me right now. I know nothing at all about it other than that it was recommended by someone I think is super smart...and the cover art is freaking cool.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #915
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default good one

"The Way Forward Is With A Broken Heart"
by Alice Walker

Almost didn't pick it up because of the title

opened it read the first paragraph

and was caught with her directness

and transparency her writing

taking me to places I haven't been in

for a long time. Rich writing.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #916
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished re-reading Catcher in the Rye.

Now onto The Sight.
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad_boi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #917
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married, treasured, and adored

Thanked 1,430 Times in 359 Posts
oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

I'm currently reading the Kushiel's Legacy series.... really loving them. I'm on the second book right now. Anyone else read these?
oblivia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #918
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The First Assassin- historical fiction by John J. Miller. Enjoying...
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #919
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Nonfiction:

Bluets by Maggie Nelson. I finished it a month ago and it's still bouncing around in my head. Highly recommended.

Party Out of Bounds: The B-52s, R.E.M., and the Kids who Rocked Athens, Georgia by Rodger Lyle Brown. Almost done with it. Fun read, lots of "oh yeah!" moments, since I was doing some of my own rocking in Athens during that time period.

Fiction:

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Good, but getting kind of bored with it. Pushing through.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #920
rockybcn

How Do You Identify?:
a well blended yin yang butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'll take "sweetheart" for 500 Alex!
Relationship Status:
to be...or not to be...that is the question!

rockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputation

The Last Patriarch by Najat El Hachmi

The Hand Of Fatima by Ildefonso Falcones

Tags
books, reading